Pics of 348 Nitrous and new rear | FerrariChat

Pics of 348 Nitrous and new rear

Discussion in '348/355' started by rikilamb, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fj0

fj0 Karting

Mar 5, 2004
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mario B
    wow, thats nice, got anymore pictures?

any prices on that rear conversion?

thanks.

2. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Nice! do you have any Dyno info?

3. Spectre

Spectre Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    You're a brave man! Anyone have any idea what sort of abuse that motor can take?

4. rikilamb

rikilamb Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    surrey
    Full Name:
    riki lamb

$2000 for the kit

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    What size jets are you running?

6. rikilamb

rikilamb Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    surrey
    Full Name:
    riki lamb
    still testing using 80bhp but hope to go upto 150bhp

7. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Isn't that a 355?

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
  9. FerrariFlip

FerrariFlip Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Bonaire,Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Philippe Haak
    How fast is this beast running now?! (especially from 0 to 60)
    O yeah richard this is a 348 with a modification!

10. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    348, but changed rear end to look like 355..hence the title of the thread...

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    bad bad bad...dry manifold not intended to flow wet mixturre. you gonna have problems....

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting ... would not want to have a frontal impact with those 2 cylinders sitting there ... BANG!!!

Can't see what the thrill is in nitrous ... rather spend more money are get performance you can use ALL the time ;)

Pete

13. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    A simple 80 shot can be used all the time. He paid 2k for the kit. To get another 80hp normally would run you the cost of a nice turbo kit.

14. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    You've been watching too many movies....

No offense to the owner, ( I do love the car) but that install looks a little ghetto to me. Bottles are pointed the wrong direction. Plastic lines for fuel and N2O?

15. reinerkaiser

reinerkaiser Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Reiner Kaiser
    fat Billy, I remember you experimented with Nitrous.
    How is this supposed to be done?

16. rikilamb

rikilamb Karting

Nov 13, 2003
    surrey
    Full Name:
    riki lamb
    The system was fitted by the people who make the units and been making them for 20 years,so I think they know what there doing

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I'm with FBB here, on the dyno, with proper exhaust gas temperature instrumentation, you will likely see the inside two cyclinders running rich and the outside two cylinders running lean as the wet mixture refuses to turn the corner. Lean and Nitrous == bad things happening.

18. Spectre

Spectre Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Or he could change the jets.

19. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I'm sure they have, but the bottles should ALWAYS be pointed in the direction of flow. A direct-port nitrous system would fare much better in an F-car. Like fatbillybob said....'dry manifold'

enjoy....

20. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Dry manifold, do you mean like almost all cars have!. I have been also dealing with the same company in the UK and they know what they are doing.They are the countrys leading experts, Funny all the experts on this thread who give there expert opinion on NOs when they have not used or understand it, only what some frend of a frend had told some dude in the pub. Why not show us your perfect nOs instal on your ferrari,go on post pics.I have had several installs on my cars including a 5ltr twin turbo V8 (dry manifold) no probs ever.........Had to get that S**t of me chest......Go on then flame away....

21. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    "bottles"? (did you mean nozzles?)

22. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The issue here is not really nitrous, but application. My F355 sees 1/3rd of its milles accumulate on the track (one with curves and longer then 1/4 mile). Here NO2 is worthless unless you can fit a tank where it can be turned on and for 60 minutes at a time.

But back to you instalation point. The correct way to install nitrous on a car with 1 throttle per cyclinder is to use 8 N02 injectors just upstream of the throttles and downstream of the helmholtz resonators; and 8 fuel injectors across from the NO2 injectors; or use 8 combined NO2 and fuel injectors. This way, the wet flow only has one path--straight down into the cyclinder. But this gets expensive in that you have to dismount the top of the engine and do actual machining (drilling doesn't count)

In your case, the **** on you chest will never go away.......

23. TheMarko

TheMarko Rookie

Nov 10, 2003
    It's N2O, not NO2. ;)

24. EspritSE

EspritSE Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Don't get your panties in a wad .... I won't flame anyone. It's a waste of bandwidth. I will however play devil's advocate. I never claimed to be an expert on on nitrous. Just offering my opinion. My car is fast enough already, and I don't need to cheat. I do however know how to read an install guide. Nitrous Oxide Systems, an industry leader since 1978 has proven better siphon pickup under changing bottle pressures with the bottles mounted correctly. ie..with the valve toward the direction of flow and the valve end mounted 15degrees above the bottom of the bottle.

"Why not show us your perfect NOs install on your ferrari, go on post pics" Relax man, It's really not THAT cool. It takes a lot more than a 348 on spray to impress me.

And yes, the install is pretty ghetto for that application. I think someone posted that it was like $2000.00? That's ridiculous. For that money you should at least get braided stainless lines. I can't imagine plastic lines holding up very long to the extreme temperature changes that nitrous brings.

Let's say the kit was around $1000.00 us. Which is A LOT to pay for a complete kit. That leaves $1000.00 for labor. Does that install look like a 10-12 hour job to you? I don't think so.

Whatever, enjoy. As long as the owner is happy. I still like the car though.