are ferraris days numbered? | FerrariChat

are ferraris days numbered?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by scycle2020, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    given the bashing that current ferrari models take on this web site, are ferraris days numbered? many people here feel that the current models are unattractive, with substandard performance,and very poor resale values!!! apparently lambo hasleft ferrari in the dust....if the new 360 replacement does not blow away the current car in both looks and performance then ferrari has been left far behind as a sport car maker..and this is the sentiment on a ferrari web site....you can imagine what people are saying on lambo and the other car sites about ferrari...even ferrari owners ofthe older models seem to dislike the current models.....at least this the opinion of many on this ferrari web site....poor ferrari, maybe in a few years they will no longer exist,,,and audi and lambo will rule the exotic car world with there far superior sports cars...after all what does ferrari really know about going fastanymore? i have learned on this web site that the 550s looke like supras, the 612 is the ugliest car ever made, that the 360s are dogs that cant get out of there own way and no one wants anymore and will soon be selling for 50k..yes sir , i havelearned a great deal on this web site!!!!

2. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    No they are not numbered. This is a Ferrari message board and people need something to talk and/or complain about.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thankfully the internet is not the real world!!!!! Whew, I'd be worried....

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Ahhhh, my thoughts have not fallen on deaf ears. Ferrari will always have yesterday though, with visions of glorious F40's and 512Tr's. Maybe one day they'll see the light again. Till then...Hasta Lavista Babey.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The 360 is ok & performs well but now that the Lambo Gallardo is out Ferrari needs a replacement for the 360 to stay current

The 575 has a severe challenge in the MB55SL which is an awesome car at 1/2 the price & its both a coupe & a roadster. Tough to beat. The 911 Turbo is also competition for the 575 & Porsche also has a turbo roadster now. Then theres the Vanquish which is Way cool

I like the Maranello but Ferrari should either offer a real convertible, not a silly Barchetta or replace it soon

The 612 is a real dissappointment to me. I'd rather have a 456, What I'd really rather have though is an old BMW 850csi :) Ive spoken to some dealers who are worried about selling the 612. I call it Ferraris answer to the Toyota Celica :)

The Enzo was very fast but Fugly

So Yes Ferrari definately has a challenge ahead

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    everybody is entitled to their opinions - as wrong as they may be :)

ferrari's days ARE numbered, but the number is awfully large ;)

doody.

7. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Guys, all that matters is 6 soon to be 7 times World Champions will continue to keep the brand name alive and selling. They do, however, need a balls-out mid engined 512TR type wild looking car.

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Oh, I forgot, BTW, the 612 is UGLY as SIN!!

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I wouldnt say Ferraris days are numbered, unless FIAT drags them down into the muck with them.

I just think they seriously need to look at the Gallardo, Murcielago, MB 55SL, Vanquish, DB9 & come up w some new models, Quickly

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Toyota follows through with its threat & produces a 400hp mid engine hybrid sportscar :)

10. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think the board does not represent a real world glimpse of the Ferrari market. Sure people here have owned many ferraris and know what they like or dislike about the next generation.

However kids in their 20s today who aspire to be Ferrari owners in the next 15-20 years, are growing up with the 360, and to them it is a very cool and exciting car. Ferrari isn't all about numbers, its about the ownership experience and the ever present italian mystique. The kids of today will purchase Ferraris weather they go to 0-60 in 4 seconds or less or more.

Just like today's ferrari owners grew up with the countach and other lambo's, there were always competition. Ferrari has not gone to the dogs today has it? I don't think it will go to the dogs anytime soon either.

This board represents the performance buying crowd mostly, whereas in the real world Ferrari is bought more for opulence and luxury and prestige. The Russell Simmons of this world, and the Britney Spears will be buying them, and then their kids will be buying them, so I don't think Ferrari is going anywhere.

Just my .02

In a perfect world I would have a 360 and a Murci in my garage. No biased opinions here, just my observation. :)

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Allan you are full of ****, ferrari is a money making machine. They have moved into branding.
    Once you've been famous, you can always sell your name :)

On a serious note, ferrari has moved out of Exotics and into Classy sports cars. Just like many car companies moved into SUV's....markets change. So you have to play smart.... in this case the aging Baby Boomer market. Nothing wrong with that. Ferrari is a great company.

12. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Damn, then my car must be a snail. It's a good thing she's pretty.

13. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Didn't we hear the same thing when the NSX came out?

14. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

Well put LAfun2! I couldn't agree with you more!!!^_~!

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think the biggest danger to Ferrari's future is FIAT. If FIAT goes bankrupt & out of business what impact could that have on Ferrari ? Anybody know ?
    Ive heard that Schumi & some Italian bankers have purchased a large share of Ferrari & Ive heard about the oft cancelled IPO. Any hard facts ?

16. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    william - the last publicly known hard facts that i was able to find are as follows:

Fiat Group owns 56% of Ferrari; Mediobanca, the italian bank owns 34% of Ferrari (purchased from Fiat Group in 2002 - this 34% might have been spread among other banks by Mediobanca); and Piero Ferrari, Enzo's son, owns the remaining 10%.

remember Fiat Group owns Fiat Cars (or whatever the division is called) as a separate division. Fiat Group is also into heavy manufacturing, trucks, insurance, energy et. al. as i understand it, Fiat Group is mostly a holding company.

so while the Fiat division that makes cars may fail spectacularly, it won't bring down Fiat Group (unless they're REALLY stupid) and if it does end up bringing down Fiat Group, the most likely scenario is that they'll sell off their stake in Ferrari (to the public or to someone else) in order to get cash out of that asset to plug the other holes in the dam. they're not likely to let Ferrari crash and burn for the heck of it - they'd sell it and extract a TON of cash.

some shareholders of Fiat Group have been urging them to get the hell out of the passenger car business - they believe the company can generate a better ROI in their other business.

fwiw,
    doody.

17. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    5 consecutive F1 constructors championships can cause some distraction as it relates to their road cars. There's still time, but they need to offer more in every area: looks, performance, less weight, etc..In other words more value.

18. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    How can you even seriously debate the question: "Are Ferraris days numbered?" Some of us are so far from reality it's at once serious as it is laughable. The 360 has a three year or more waiting list! People are falling over themselves to get on the long list for the 360 successor! Three year old 360 spiders are still selling for thousands of dollars over list! Let's face it, some people on this board do not have clue. Take Allan for example, he's a nice guy, kind of a simple fellow. He claims to have a 355 which he claims he loathes. He claims his Diablo leaps tall buildings in a single bound. And on and on he goes with lot's of time on his hands making one goofball comment after another. He has some extreme views. He makes me laugh. His comments are harmless even though ludricous in every sense of the word. Are Ferraris days numbered? I think that if every person on this board never bought a Ferrari again, Ferrari would be profiting wildly long after all of us are gone.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree with every thing you have said William. The only comment I would make is check the inside of a 850csi first before buying because there is absolutely NO room behind the front seats for rear passengers ... oops.

If Ferrari are maturing into grand tourers (which is what they used to make anyway) then they better be careful, because that is what killed (almost) Alfa Romeo ... and they have opened themselves up for far MORE competition which makes little sense to me.

Pete

20. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The most searched brand on all of Google last year? Sony? BMW? General Motors? Coke? Nope. It was Ferrari. This is not a company in trouble.

You guys may be bored with 575s AND 360s, but the public isn't. They don't see them every day.

You guys might think the sky is falling because the Gallardo does 0-60 in the lower 4s, when the 360 is in the mid to low 4s (as if that is a good measure of a car anyway). I don't.

If this is about numbers, lets all go get in line for the C6. It's way more bang for the buck. With any luck, that will shorten the F-line.

21. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    How much room did the 456 have in back ? Not much I'd guess

If AM decides to build a convertible Vanquish the 575 is going to be in a world of hurt

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Cool, so you can stick with race inspired toilet bowl cleaners, while i'll stick with German farm equipment.

23. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    very well said!!!

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Doody,

I know the mediobanca percentage has been broken up - I had the firm numbers set aside for you, but of course can't find them when needed. Will dig them up.

--Dan

25. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

I think you are dead wrong about that. Todays kids, are completely about performance numbers. The fast and Furious generation. It has taught them that the only thing that is important is performance. Im a member of many many chatrooms, and have read many many threads about how they feel Ferraris, and Lamborghinis are very overpriced and underperforming. To them, history means nothing. These are the future buyers!

In the old days, there was a differential in performance between exotic and normal vehicles such as Vettes. In todays world, when 50,000 Vettes outperform 250,000 Ferraris, many have no respect for Ferrari. They respect a 10,000 Civic that runs 12's more. To them, a Supra or Skyline is Holy Heaven.

I want to see 700hp Fcars and Lcars running around, smoking everything.