348 Skid Plates | FerrariChat

348 Skid Plates

Discussion in '348/355' started by pflowers, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    There are a lot of discussion on 355 skid pads but little on 348 skid pads. So I decided to design an install from scratch. I used Static-Dissipative UHMW sheet because it is black. I wanted black rather than the white that some use on the 355 pads. This material is available from McMaster-Carr in Atlanta. Their web site is www.mcmastercarr.com . I used 1" thick sheet as the area that the pads attach to on the 348 is recessed about 1/2" from the leading edge of the bumper. The three pieces that I used can be cut from one sheet that is 12" X 24" X 1". The McMaster number is 85705K53 and costs $42. I used cardboard to make templates of the pieces that I wanted. I cut the UHMW with a jig saw. This material is very tough so cutting it is a slow process. Once the pieces were cut, I used a rotary grinder to bevel the front edges of each piece. The front bumper must be removed to install the pads. This is a fairly easy process. Jack up both sides of the front and put jack stands under each side. Remove both front wheels. Remove the access plates in the front of each wheel well and the access panels that are under the car forward of each wheel well. You can then remove the 4 nuts (2 on each side) that hold the sides of the bumper. Inside the trunk pull the side of the front liner away enough to access and rempve the 4 nuts (2 on each side) that hold the front of the bumper to the car. Then you can slide the whole bumper forward and free of the car. The pads are attached using stainless steel 10-32 1 1/2" flat head machine screws and ss locking nuts. On the back side of the fiberglass bumper I used ss fender washers to add additional support. All of this hardware was purchsed from Lowes. When the pads are attached just reverse the process to reattach the bumper to the car.

2. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    As you can see from the attached pictures above, the pads are barely visible from a position of sitting on the pavement. When standing, they are not visible at all. They have been on the car for about a week now. So far so good. I will post later when I have additional experience with them

3. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    I forgot to mention that in removing the front bumper you must also remove the head lights. Be careful when putting the bumper back on the car that the headlight plug wires are where they need to be to reconnect the headlights.

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Are you by any chance the Paul Flowers who had a Brabham BT29 at Watkins Glen a few years ago?

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Simply outstanding! If I fly you up to NC, want to build a second set for my car? ;-)

Since you've had them on, have you scraped them up yet? What type of wear are you experiencing?

-Daniel

p.s. That's one heck of a FANTASTIC opening contribution to F-Chat. Welcome!

6. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Great job and money well spent!

7. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Would a carbon fibre front lip not serve a similiar purpose?
    I wonder which might be better???

dave

8. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    O.K., now I'm venting. I decided to order the material from www.mcmastercarr.com to make the same type of skid plate for my car. However, when I crawled under the car to get some measurements to make a one piece plate, I found that I have no recessed area (like pflowers pic), nor any type of ledge to mount to at ALL. Did the bumper molds change througout the 348 line?

9. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    I have a 1995 348 Spider. I don't know if the bumpers changed. But since yours are not the same they must have. A little thought and maybe you can figure a way to fashion something similar for your car.

10. davey_jones

davey_jones Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2002
    wherever it's sunny
    Full Name:
    Dave

Just checked my 93' - it has them....

11. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    Yes I do have a BT29 and was at Watkins Glen every year for the last 5 or 6 years.

12. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    Correction: The lights that need to be removed are the driving lights that are mounted in the bumper not the headlights.

13. rexrcr

rexrcr Formula 3

Nov 27, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Full Name:
    Rob Schermerhorn
    Looks great!

This stuff cuts like butter for me. I have a Bosch sabre saw, and their blade technology kicks *ss.

BTW, every 348 bumper cover I've seen has the recessed area, and if one wants skid plates only on the corners, you only must remove the small pans under the driving lights, not the entire bumper cover.

I've been pushing this application of UHMW polyethelyne since I joined FC, great stuff. Carbon fiber is not good skid plate material.

These are:
    • Jabroc (expensive high-density plywood, race supply store)
    • UHMW polyethelyne
    • Titanium
    • Aluminum

In that order.

Best regards,

Rob Schermerhorn

14. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I met you there and you let me sit in your car which led me to buy Cy Morlands.
    You can see mine in my profile.

Absolutly great cars, I love it :)

15. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    They are the best of the vintage Formula B's. I will be taking mine to Summit Point in May for Brian Redman's Jefferson 500 race. I assume that you primarily race the west coast but maybe I will see you again sometime.