456 Ferrari - a daily driver? | FerrariChat

456 Ferrari - a daily driver?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by msgm1, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    How uses a 456 as their daily driver, thoughts/comments appretiated?

2. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I bought a 456GT for my wife for this purpose and unless miles and more importantly gas is not an issue, you are better off spending your money on a different car. As for can you sit in the car as a commuter, yes the car is fine, does not overheat, decent A/C etc.

At 29 gallons per tank @ 2.50 USD per gallon, @ 10 mpg, you do the math...$300 to $400 per month is the bill.

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I agree its expensive, but not too many people drive about 1400 miles a month on a F car, or about 16K-18K miles a year ;)

4. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    I will use mine almost daily once I a) sell the 328, b) save a little to buy the 456, and c) actually find and buy a 456.

The 328 might be sold by the end of tomorrow - already passed pre-purchase inspection with flying colors, etc. buyer and I are working out the finer details.

The 456 will likely get driven every other day plus at least three longer (400 to 1000 miles round trip) trips each year. THe trick is I only live 5 miles from work and I split maybe 12000 miles across a MINI Cooper S and (currently the 328 but soon to be the 456) Ferrari and my wife puts maybe 12000 miles on another car of ours (5 series BMW this month - FOR SALE: http://bmw.threefourfive.com - soon to be replaced with a 2005 Mercedes E320cdi DIESEL... her ~30mpg diesel will make up for my ~10mpg 456!).

-dq

5. YellowMaranello

Jan 7, 2004
    Mount Holly, NJ
    Full Name:
    Pete Gold
    Gas is like that in places in the US? Here in New Jersey, gas is hovering around $1.60-$1.70 for a gallon.

6. azheman

azheman Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    yeah, gas is hovering at $2.00 for regular (87 oct.) here in AZ.
    It sucks.
    That means like ~$2.20/gallon for Premium.

7. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I do 1200/mo in the 550!

As far as the 550 being similar to the 456 (not too far apart), you can definetly drive it daily. I can't speak of the GTA, but the powerplant is virtually the same (and likely consumes the same gas).

I feel bad for the folks who don't drive their cars enough.

--Dan

8. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Frankly I can't see driving a 12 cylinder car in daily traffic especially in big cites. On a recent trip to Chicago I remember watching guys in their 911's not being able to get out of 2nd gear. The traffic is horendous in most cities and only going to get worse. What a waste for a high performance car. How is the V12 every going to breath?!

9. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Don't own one, but based on the specs, it should be fine ...very comfortable....if you can afford it.

10. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

$2.51 for premium in my neck of the woods.

11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Dan

I agree one should drive cars more, but I understand the fact that people have multiple cars, dont' have time and such. I think you are the exception rather than the standard Dan. :)

12. shelbee

shelbee Guest

It will be very nice. I just wish this new 2003 456M GT won't depreciate as much, I would have got it by now. Very nice Canna de Fucile with sabia interior, 6 speed, and my "must" requirement: the SHIELDS.

It is @ Steve Harris Imports.

Hope to get sold locally and get back to the dealer in a couple years with less than 10,000 miles, then I will own it as a second owner :)

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A 456 makes a fine daily driver. I don't drive mine to work for a number of reasons, none of which have to do with the car's ability or comfort level, but I do lots of daily driver stuff with it.

If I had a different parking situation at work, I would probably drive mine pretty much every day, oh well...

14. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Me too, parking can be hassle at work

15. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Canna de Fucile is an absolutely gorgeous color! William's 575 in said color looks amazing from the pictures. Next time... :D

--Dan

16. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Spare a thought for us over-taxed Brits...our gas is currently running at $6.40/gallon!! :(

I wouldn't run my 456 as a daily driver, I love it to bits but it's no BMW. The PO felt the same and sold it because he needed something more reliable. Also, I don't think my clutch foot could stand the strain!

Just my ten cents...(which doesn't go very far in rip-off Britain!!)

Dan