how do i turn [img] code on? | FerrariChat

how do i turn [img] code on?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by robiferretti, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    i cant figure out how to turn IMG code on?

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ROTFLMAO...!!!

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Someone please keep me from explaining this again. :)

4. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Rob F why would you need it turned on?

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    there is no img code

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Then you will see that it is not the img code that bends, it is only yourself.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Perhaps you should look for the little button called 'Manage Attachemnts' on the same page you type text into to respond to threads.........

8. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    No as convenient as ading an img statement to include pics already hosted, no resizing etc involved. The img feature being turned off blows.

9. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!!!

Rob, he's fine; this is a spoof of the Jennifer thread...

10. saad

saad Rookie

Mar 31, 2004
    midwest
    Full Name:
    saad
  11. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    Agreed!

Not really a spoof, but I post all my pictures on sites @ 800x600 (~88kb) so instead of resizing all my pictures I would like to just be able to link the picture I already host...can we up the allowance on the photo size to be 800x600?

[​IMG]

12. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I definitely agree. Resizing is a pain, and many people don't even bother posting pictures because they have to resize then post.

13. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    That keeps me from posting a lot of my pictures, and mine are already hosted, so if we can just allow [​IMG]

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    How long should I let you [​IMG]

16. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

17. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    <chanting> I M G! I M G! I M G! </chanting>

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    As has been alluded to, Rob has covered this topic numerous times. Simply pit, he would rather every F-Chatter have the satisfaction of seeing pictures instead of little red X's when pictures hosted elsewhere, well, aren't hosted elsewhere anymore.

It also prevents sites such as barchetta.cc being upset because their pics are shown elsewhere via code. The definition of who is "hosting" the pic which is displayed on another site (F-Chat, for example) would be on their attorney's side, were they so inclined. More trouble than it's worth.

If that means F-Chat has tons of images hosted, then so be it - all part of the reason the switch was made to [i]La bigger-better-faster-FerrariChat Bella Machina.[/i] Still, nothing to prevent anyone from simply linking to their own site/pictures, as tvrfreak has done many times. Regardless, F-Chat's Lost and Found Department is none the worse for wear under Rob's guidance.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks Wax.

On the internet you start to loose images with remote references almost as soon as they are posted. The other internet sites just don't value their archives that much.

I look at FerrariChat.com as a huge informative resource and no information should be lost ever, including images. All the posts and pictures of today will still be available 50 years from now.

I will always buy a bigger and faster server(s) to handle it.

20. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    how about we just make an exception with pictures hosted on my site :) i know they will never turn a red x unless i type the address in wrong

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

That is fine, but can you allow a little bit of bigger picture to be attached so the people who don't know how to resize can still post?

22. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Yea Rob... the resized pix suck. Most of us here have nice hi-res cameras. We need bigger pix. Id even ante up a subscription fee for allowing such.

just my due lire.

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    In the end there has to be a limit to the picture size because our screens are only so big. I am pretty sure I could not make a case to my boss to invest in a larger screen for me due to FerrariChat.com :D

Thus the size has to be something, and you guys need to learn how to resize ... it isn't that hard!!

Pete

24. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Rob I appreciate your sentiments, but there are some practical considerations as well.

Some of us have our own web servers and/or access to much bigger infrastructure than Ferrarichat uses. If you do a traceroute to my site www.ipn.com.au for example you will see it is on Gigabit links. The Ferrarichat site is slow enough already, without over taxing its already inadequate database/web server/links with lots of images.
    You will notice that many of the Internet forums move from allowing the uploading of pics to forcing the use of the IMG statement, because when the site becomes really big, you start having major issues with corrupted databases and poor performance.
    Your theory does not address the issue of dead links, which are a bigger problem.

Bottom line is;
    It is a pain for many users
    It hurts the performance of the forum.
    It WILL come back to haunt you unless you get some serious database capabilities. By serious I mean clustered load balanced SQL/Oracle back end and new forum front end re written to utilise the heavy duty backend.

When you get to that stage, you may have no choice but to disable the images and lose many years worth of image content, just to keep the site stable. Try talking to the owners of other large Internet forums using Vbulletin about their experiences.

25. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Pete I don't think 800X600 is that hard to fit on a screen. :D

ANd I thought you were the boss ;)