Best way to access Speedo Sending Unit on 308? | FerrariChat

Best way to access Speedo Sending Unit on 308?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    What is the best way to access the speedometer sending unit on a 308? I want to check my connection at it. My speedo jumped the other day and I was thinking it might be getting slightly loose. It is a harness connection?

2. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    If I remember correctly, you will see a white plastic connection on the passengers side of the transmission located close to the rear axel. It will be obvious that it is not for temp or oil pressure from its placement. I believe it is a two prong connector. You may have to jack up that side of the car to gain access but it's right there.

Drew

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No, needle swings and erratic behavior is the beginning of THE END.

4. donaldh2o

donaldh2o Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Irvine CA
    Full Name:
    Don
    Will be putting my new sending unit in tomorrow. Remove passenger side rear tire, no need to remove the splash guard, it's right in front of you.

It takes a 13mm socket to remove the clamp holding the wire harness and a 22mm open-end wrench to remove the sending unit.

The biggest problem I had with it was finding a 10" length of 1" (or so) vinyl tubing to replace the old rubber tubing that covered the wires. Found it at an electronics store.

5. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Great. So just remove the tire and I will see it. Is the connector white? Molex type?

6. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    it will look like a oil or temp sender. it is on the flat part of the gearbox, you can't miss it. while you are in there check the wires and replace the insulation with new shrink wrap.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Thanks Guys. I will let you know if this solves it.