Styling: 612 vs. 456 | FerrariChat

Styling: 612 vs. 456

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by kizdan, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

1. 612 Scaglietti

2. 456M

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Which do you prefer?

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    456M over 612
    But also:
    456 over 456M

3. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    456, It reminds me of a 412 but modernized.
    The 612 is too big and round for me, and it lacks that edge that makes it look like a Ferrari. All IMO though.
    The 612 wheelbase is way too long and the front overhang is very short, Pininfarina seems to be following the trend for extremely short overhangs that the rest of the world is catching on to, and in some cases that styling element just doesnt work. Also, the rear lacks character and is just plain boring. Im not saying it should've had a Enzo-esque tail treatment, but maybe this Ferrari would look better with a flatter rear, like on the 275 series.

Also the side scallops dont really work IMO, maybe they should be more pronounced with the addition of a single vent on each side (a-la 456).

The 456 looks good for a 4 seater, and its a Ferrari shape for sure. The M is even better looing than the regular 456 ( maybe not so on the healights, but nonetheless it looks cool).

I know Ill get used to the 612, but not for awhile I think.

4. sepp forcher

sepp forcher Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    i think that the 456M is a milestone of pininfarinas work, the 612 is one of his biggest faults!

5. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    IMHO the 612 has the moronic face of the Stay-Puff Marshmallow man from the Ghostbusters film!

The scalloped sides are a styling disaster and the unremarkable arse just make you think Pininfarina had given up by that point.

Shame, as I hear it drives superbly. Needless to say I won't be trading in my 456 on one.

Dan

6. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Wow, with 32 votes the 456M is only 2 votes ahead. I thought it would be much different with the complaints th 612 has gotten over the past few weeks/months.

I voted for the 456M, though I do appreciate the lines of the 612 I just believe the 456 has the more unsuspecting 'wolf in sheeps clothing' type lines then the 612. But both nice looking cars and I've always adored the 2+2 touring F-cars.

I haven't seen a 612 in person, yet, but I hope, like the Enzo, it looks better in the metal then a photo.

Happy Driving!

7. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    There's an interesting article in AUTOCAR this week comparing the 612 to the HYUNDAI HCD8 Concept Car. Yes, HYUNDAI! And I'm sorry but I agree with the author that the 612 just doesn't do it. It might be a fantastic drive and you can argue that you can't see the car while driving. But the visual stays in your mind. It feels like a Porsche. And what's with the side window treatment? The way it ends in that little straight edge is very ungraceful. Definitely not Pininfarina's finest.

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    U need to add a choice:

Both Suck.

9. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    456M all the way. Much more class than the 612, which looks too "Japanese". At least from pictures. I'm very curious what it looks like in "real life".

10. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Bwahahaha!!

The 456 has always seemed a bit droopy to me... a sad car.
    Not as droopy and sad as, say, a Saab... but more so than most any other Ferrari. Perhaps with the 612 they were trying to over-compensate... not just a happy car... but a grinning-silly car.

I hated the early 612 drawing/pics... would have agreed with all your other points. But after seeing real life pics, I don't really have problem with those things. I just think its too plain... should have been more sculpted, more curvy...

But, in the end, I actually voted for it over the 456.

11. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    This is not a poll about your mom and your sister.

LOL. Sorry man, you walked into it. Seriously though, how many of you guys have actually seen both in person. I have and the 612 is way different in person. I did not like it at all until the Dallas auto show. Man was I ever wrong. What a stunning car from the front and sides. The back is a little questionable though. It will grow on us, i'm sure. When I first saw the Murcielago, I hated them. Now I really like them. I am not their with the Gallardo though.

12. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I vote for 456M for now but this will change soon I see the real car and it will grow on me

13. shelbee

shelbee Guest

IGNORE, IGNORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    612 man. I read about it in Car&Driver and its really not that bad looking.

15. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    LOL.
    Everything you say about Ferrari is negative. Penis muncher. Just kidding.

Im PRO-FERRARI!!!

16. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    I finally saw the 612 in person today at the Houston auto show. The car does have a presence. It looked great in blue, and yes....it is huge!!!

17. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I didnt get to go but my mom brought back pictures of it. Two words...land yacht...3 words...sexy land yacht.

18. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com
    Just voted for 456M

612 is not bad looking, however, I just think 456 looks better.

Too bad the 456s depreciate fast, hope the market for the 612 wouldn't following that pattern. :(

19. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The sides of 456's are much better.

The daytona style vents are awesome on 456s.

The tail is a modern daytona's on 456's.

The 456 IS the modern daytona.

I would not mind a late 456 as a daily driver.

20. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I tend to think that a new industrial design that does not surprise me is an industrial design on the verge of obsolescence. There must be an unmistakeable 'this is new !' cue, otherwise the model could not hope to last 5 to 6 years.

I also tend to think that an industrial design that does not win me over at first sight is like a wishful but hopeless love story. If you try to find reasons for attraction, then you are denying the fact that you are unattracted.

This is were the 612 stands for me, it surprises me, I would like to like it, but I just don't, there are too many angles or cues which underwhelm me.

21. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    456 too. I think the interior styling on the 612 is beautiful though. I am excitied that the cost of used 456 are so reasonable. It may become my daily driver some day too.

22. twatson

twatson Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    I hope no one takes personal offense but I can't get to excited about either car's styling myself. It is kind of like the new BMW 5 series.... people say it will grow on you with time but so do weeds.... and it hasn't either. However, I wouldn't turn them down if someone gave me one for a daily driver.

23. shelbee

shelbee Guest

I think both are beautiful. I guess I am not used to looking at the 612 yet. I am so used to the 456 model since it was out in 1992

24. jbtrader23

jbtrader23 Karting

Apr 20, 2004
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I've been seriously considering getting a 456 this year. While not as flashy as a 355 or 360, it's still a Ferrari. I'd take it over a BMW 7 series or Mercedes any day.

Do you think they'll continue to depreciate in value?