412 MI | FerrariChat

412 MI

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Hello, all you great suppliers of information!
    A few years back, a friend of mine owned the fabulous 412MI. Does anyone know where it is now? I worked on the clutch and a few other minor things but I do remember some exciting laps at Watkins. The car was almost scary to drive with 475 HP (he had the dyno sheets) and skinny tires. No limited slip either.
    As I recall (could be wrong), the fuel tank was sheet magnesium and the transaxle had tranverse shafts - may have been from one of the old Lancia "D" cars.
    So, let's hear from you, especially if you've seen the car.
    Bob Zambelli

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Are you talking about s/n 0744 MI...? Whose engine used to be in s/n 0676...? i was JUST reading about this car a week or so ago (if, in fact, we're talking about the same car)... Rosso Barchetta color, right...? Beautiful car... For the life of me, i can't remember the name of the owner...

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I saw the 412MI years ago when it belonged to David Livingston in Seattle, as shown in the feature article in "Sports Car International" January 1991. I seem to remember that Pete Lovely spilled his wine glass onto it at Pebble and was horribly embarrassed, but it turned out to be just the right shade of wine.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I thought it remained with the old Harrah Collection, that is in Reno now.

"Old Guy" said that was not correct. Don't recall if we ever got current Owner info.

5. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    When I tinkered with the car, it was in the early 80s. Seems like my friend acquired it from Bob Donner.

Let's see, as it was splained to me - keep in mind that this was a while ago and memories sometimes fail!

The car was originally campaigned by Marquis Alphonso de Portago. It crashed in the Mille Miglia, killing him and a number of spectators.

It was rebodied as a single-seat roadster to compete with the American Indy cars at Monza (MI = Monza-Indianapolis).

After that, It was again rebodied to a Testa-Rossa like configuration. DeVroom may have imported it to the US where, I believe, Phil Hill campaigned it in SCCA races.

Then, it meandered around a bit - can any of you pick up the trail?

Unfortunatley, I do not know the serial number.

Also, the original designation may have been 4200 Sport or something to that effect.

Bob Zambelli

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's a one off of the 315S, 335S series of cars. Phil Hill wrote about them in R&T as one of his favorites!

The engine came from the car of DePortago, after the wreck.

It's been called a mongrel because of the extensive mods, but they were all by the factory!

It would be hotter than a 315S, or 335S if sorted properly I'd think.

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Google search shows it at '04 Cavallino Classic with William Kontes.

Engine #0646.

Sorry I don't know how to post link. It had great pics!

Owner history does show it with Harrah, but not for long.

8. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  9. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Great Photos of 412MI s/n 0744. The car is currently owned by Rob Walton, son of Sam Walton, founder of Wal-Mart. Walton has owned it since 1994, was shown at Cavallino by Kontes on behalf of Walton.

-Jarrett

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This was the accident that ended the Mille Miglia. It really was an unfortunate accident because it was caused by spectators removing warning signs and thus poor de Portago went into the corner too hot.

Another case of a few idiots ruining it for everybody and in this case killing MANY people :( ... they should have been done for murder!

Pete

11. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #11 SonomaRik, May 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Interesting article in AUTOWEEK, May 26, 2008, pg 25 on the 412"s" SN 0744 stating currently at Moroso Motorsports Park in Jupiter, FL. I haven't researched their site.

However, what I don't understand is their reference to it as an "S" not the "MI" AND the fact it is claimed not to exist in the Cavallino magazines.

See below images: Does anyone have a better story to this car?

thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    The real 412MI is a single seat race car which no longer exists. The sports car is a 412S following the 315S and 335S. This is how it was named at the Maranello sale at the factory.

13. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #14 Ed Niles, May 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Pierre Bardinon once asked me about my favorite Ferrari. 0744 was my answer. Here's a pic of my wife Phoebe in 1975. We used to take cars like this out to events, and you could have a ride for the asking.

14. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great Shot!

Great Smile!

15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ed,

This must be at Ontario. Was that the same event Chris Cord brought the 512S? Was the 412 owned by Chris at this time?

Notice Luke Fratello's Daytona with the hardtop in the background. Luke would bring this car to lots of the Ferrari Owner Club events.

Beside the 412 is a SWB. There were several in the club at that time that would attend the events. Ed, can you identify which one it is?

Jeff

16. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Yes, I believe it was Ontario. Seems as if Steve Earle owned 0744, but not sure. No idea on the SWB, a late one by the shape of the window.

17. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    #18 Doug Nye, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
    Sorry but any notion that 'the 412MI' was 'rebodied as a single-seat roadster' and then 'rebodied again to a Testa Rossa-like configuration' is just misleading drivel. The V12 engine from the Portago wreck at Guidizzolo during the 1957 Mille Miglia was dropped in 1958 into a crude single-seater based upon the old 1951-52 Ferrari 375 chassis design purpose-assembled for the Two Worlds Trophy Monzanapolis '500', to confront USAC Offy opposition. Luigi Musso put on an enormously brave performance in this 4.1-litre special, qualifying on pole DESPITE his recent enormous accident in the Formula 1 Belgian GP at Spa. Even a small accident there had been enough to detune good guys for months - Musso got over his fright within days and bounced back big time here at Monza. Musso then used the 4.1 special's gearbox to rcoket into an immediate lead in the first of the three 63-lap heats, hammering round the speedbowl bankings on the extreme high line. He made his mark that day - though the car did not last. The following weekend he was brave again in the French GP at Reims. Too brave. He tried to take the Gueux Curve after the pits flat-out in pursuit of his team-mate Mike Hawthorn. His Formula 1 Lancia-Ferrari 801 ran wide, left the road and rolled. And he died.

There would be no repeat of the Monzanapolis race. The V12 engine was removed from the single-seater frame, and fitted into that of the 412MI sports which then went into the American sports-racing scene. The engine was NOT 'rebodied'...it was used in three distinctly different chassis/body assemblies.

DCN

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Always a treat to have the lucid views of DCN...
    CH

19. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    It is indeed illuminating to have the concise and accurate views of the greatly respected Mr. Nye.

I am pretty sure though that Bob had no intention of being misleading and was simply attempting to share his memories with the rest of us.

I have always been a great fan of the Indianapolis 500 and have always been fascinated by the early fifties Ferrari effort there and the closely related Monzanapolis races which were held. It is ironic that the Monza course especially built for the European / American challange series would in the end favor the rugged Indy roadsters so decisively.

On the other hand the Maserati monoposto piloted by Wilbur Shaw was obviously the right car at the right time, winning Indy twice and probably a third time if not for the collapsed wheel that had been marked to use last. The wheel had been found not to be balancable and was marked to use last in the race. The chaulk was washed away in the garage fire the night before the race and ended being fitted to the car late in the race, unfortunately taking Wilbur and the car out of the race.

Unfortunately Indy now is a spec series with one (or two?) chassis suppliers and one engine supplier. The days for innovation that is easily understood by fans are over there, but maybe one day they will return.

It seems today the biggest thrill is the drama of having Ladies running. (Nothing against the ladies, I just would love to see some different cars and engines running again.)

I for one would love to see a formula that would allow Ferrari to field a car there again.

Tom W

20. Manel

Manel Karting

Oct 7, 2004
    Catalonia
    Full Name:
    J.Manuel Baró
    Fon de Portago lost the car in the middle of a clear long straight of road, apparently due to, but never actually proved, a sudden colapsed tire or suspension device.
    Perhaps you recall the prime reason of the espectacular accident suffered by the Spanish Pegaso barchetta Touring and two other cars, in the Rio Hondito famous double bend, during the fourth leg of the V Carrera Panamericana.

21. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    IIRC, the Fon skipped changing his tires on the last stop before the accident to save time.

Tom W

22. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Re: 0744. I remember "Pinky" Pelham driving it into the Pebble Beach area, everybody was excited because i was obviously a pure racing engine. Back then the crowd around it said it was a 412MI.
    in following the thread I am a little confused, so am i to understand it was a single seater car, what did they do about changing the steering wheel from the center out to one side or the other, didn't that require a replacement chassis?

if I were a concours judge, I'd reject that argument the only true configuration is as a single seater, as long as the factory were the ones who made it into a sports car. But then you have to worry if someone will build the single seater again?

If you don't mind indulging in decades old scuttlebutt of what Mrs. Pinkham/Steve Earle as co-owners sold the car for to Chris Cord? I think this was on the beginning of price rises in old Ferraris, ironically a rise in the U.S. caused by Steve Earle's own events, giving the car a great venue to race at. I always thought Chris Cord was a relative of E.L. Cord the founder of Cord automobiles, am i right about that? He made his name in modern day racing with a Chevy Monza pure race car.

23. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Did Bob Bauce own this one, or the other? There were two, right?
    All of my pictures of Bauce's car are on film, shot at various FCA national concours.
    Nothing scanned.

KevFla

24. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #25 Terra, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    There's only one 412 MI. It was owned by Bill Bauce for a couple of years during the early-to-mid 1990s.