Boxer Relay Board Pitfalls | FerrariChat

Boxer Relay Board Pitfalls

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jselevan, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have experienced recent meltdown of my fuse blocks, so am entertaining preventive maintenance of the relay board with disconnect and cleaning of all contacts, etc.

Has anyone disconnected all of the relays on this board (under passenger footboard)? What about the large gauge conductor to the shunt bar? Are there any pitfalls to look out for? Any snakes not anticipated?

In addition, has anyone a simple approach to cleaning (abrasive - sand paper) the inside surface of the female tab connector of ALL of the millions of connectors on the F-cars? The male tab connector is easy to clean. The female has the rolled-edge that makes all attempts to clean laborious and unsuccessful.

Experience is appreciated. Thank you.

Jim S.

2. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Jim,

There is no trick to cleaning those contacts. Like you, I've tried everything and have settled on spraying with contact cleaner or Brakeclean. It's important to treat the contacts with Stabilant 22A. If you're not familiar with it, this stuff is amazing. It's a contact enhancer and regular use has cured a bunch of electronic ills for me. If you need more info , let me know.

Tom

3. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Tom - did you remove the entire board from the car? It would seem that this would make for an easy, albeit time consuming task. My concern is not with cleaning the contacts with the board sitting on my kitchen table, but with pitfalls in removing the board, and in particular, the large gauge power conduit to the shunt.

I assume there are no complicated issues, but someone who has done it before might have a trick or two up their sleeve.

Thanks.

Jim S.

4. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I cleaned mine once and inserted a relay in the wrong spot and the engine started cranking over. Luckily it was in neutral.
    MARK THE RELAYS!

5. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Jim.

I have a Mondial, not a Boxer, but I don't imagine the fuse / relay block is much different. I had it out many times for cleaning / treating and finally replaced it. The wires are all attached through terminal strips that easily un-plug. Just mark them well and all should be Ok.

And use Stabilant 22A.

Tom