OT Question for people in Boston. | FerrariChat

OT Question for people in Boston.

Discussion in 'New England' started by PaulC, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My wife has been offered a great position in Boston, I just took a new job in Houston, how is the job market in the financial services/sales industry. Any help would be great since we are set to close on a house in Houston on Thursday of this week. Thanks

2. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Can't comment on job market for financial services in Boston, but be prepared for MAJOR sticker shock on housing prices between Houston and Boston. Get an understanding of what it will cost to buy a house in Boston suburbs that is equivalent to your place in Houston before your wife finalizes her deal.

Boston is a great place to live, no matter the cost!

John

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    understatement of the week ;)

here's what you need to do:

* go to your local drug store (cvs, wallgreens - whatever you've got where you are).

* buy a big tub of KY Jelly. no that lame-o little tube - but the industrial-strength tub.

* stop at home depot and pick up a 2x6 or 2x10 - your call.

* go home and practice lubing up the lumber and sticking it up your ass. keep doing that, gradually reducing the amount of KY you use to zero.

* decide if you like that.

* then you'll be ready to shop for real estate in boston

:)

there are certainly worse places in the country to have to buy a home, but it's pretty painful these days.

doody.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    LOL!!!! There is a REASON why they call it Taxachusettes. Movie to tax free, easy car insurance New Hampster. Live, Freeze and Die is our motto ;-)

5. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    if you don't mind locking your car away for 6 months, then dodging potholes and unfriendly smokeys when you can take it out of hibernation come on down. Below freezing here today, a forecast that had called for snow and with baseball season started.
    T

6. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Racerx,

Snow predicted? Had snow this AM and now is a scorching Speedo wearing 38F here in the foothills of the Monadnock region. Think i better get on some SPF45 :)

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    it's not THAT bad!

my 550 was in storage for a grand total of 55 days this past winter. the winter before was maybe another week or two. the winter before that i drove my 996TT through the whole winter.

it was nice today in the sun :)

doody

8. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    Doody, it is THAT bad. My car has worn its columbia parka (2 layers thick waterproof plastic and car length thick polar fleece since november with only bi-weekly jaunts to push the fluids around followed by 1 hour of me freezing my arse off pouring water on it to remove the salt.

Now i am waiting for 3 days in a row of 60+ so that i can do the timing belt and wash and wax. Maybe i'll see you guys in the fall.

As to the gentleman in TX, You probably don't have enough prestone in your veins, just buy a timeshare south of princeville.

T

9. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Doody for State Representative!! You summed up this state in a matter of 10 sentences, lol.

10. AtomikPunk

AtomikPunk Rookie

Jan 1, 2004
    North Shore, MA
    #10 AtomikPunk, Apr 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Doody, I really enjoyed your description, and I have decided that I do not want any type of board, post or anything that will give me splinters shoved up my butt.

Steven, I have a good friend from Hollis NH and she says I would have to be on crack to move to NH from TX where it was a sunny 76 degrees yesterday.

My brother lives in Portland ME and he thinks I am entirely too much of a candy a$$ to live up north again. I think he is probably right. I have a great job here in TX and I am not very interested in moving unless my wife makes enough to support both of us. That way I can work to buy my 355 back.

Thanks

12. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    Ah well, so much for recruiting a potential taxpayer.

You boys remind me of a funny quote from a very old movie:

Drums Along the Mohawk (1939)

Reverend Rosenkrantz: "O Almighty God, hear us, we beseech Thee, and bring succor and guidance to those we are about to bring to Your divine notice. First we are thinking of Mary Walaber. She is only 19 years old, but she is keeping company with a soldier from Fort Dayton. He's a Massachusetts man, and Thou knowest no good can come of that."

Doody?

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    ROTFL!

doody.

14. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    If Kerry wins he will turn all Of America into one big Taxachussets. Please Ameica listen from someone from Mass, Do not vote Kerry, If you must vote but hate Bush, Vote Nader.

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Well, the good news is that for around 9 months of the year there are these amazingly seductive roads only a handful of minutes away from me. A wide variety of properly angled roads with twisties and elevation changes. After driving i seem to always want to exclaim "Disney World can kiss my a$$."

Have lived in various parts of Florida, Napa California, Atlanta... and must say the roads near me allow for a VARIETY of choices. Do you want straights with only elevation changes? Tight twisties? A mix of both? Slow long turns? A mix of all the above?

Of course the true "optimum" time is only about 6 months long, yet those 6 months of Prime Time with good air/road temps make up for the 2-3 months of total crap (and 3 months of a mix). i prefer this over flat and boring Florida roads. Straight speed bores me to death and prefer the twisties. This also explains my current project of instaillng better suspension, seats and harness system.

16. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    That pic was from last year i presume?