Dirty engine | FerrariChat

Dirty engine

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Uberpower, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004
    How does everyone keep their engine so clean? Obviously there must be some general upkeep, because most of the engines I have seen here are near perfect cosmetically.

Here are the questions:

1. How do you clean the engine?
    2. How often do you clean the engine? (every X,XXX miles?)
    3. What do you use to clean the engine?

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They never drive them :D

Steam cleaners are the answer for those whose cars move under their own power.

Pete

3. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    Steam cleaning is not reallya good idea, it tends to dry out the hoses. I use a good citrus cleaner and alot of elbow grease. You could eat off the engine when I am done with it.

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Agreed. LOTS of elbow grease, proper towels/brushes, and patience. Use Simple Green here.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Works very well with jewelry as well. Warm it up a bit and break out the diamonds!

Good stuff

DL

6. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Are there any things to avoid doing besides spraying the engine with water?

7. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    peanut paste and vegemite.

in fact, avoid spilling ANY sandwich spreads and condiments on your engine.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm going to post a pic of my engine.

I just got back from the beach, and the carbs look like somebody dropped an oyster in the sand! A little oil seepage here and there, no big deal.

It runs great though. Can't say how many great tune ups are ruined in the wash rack afterwards!

9. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    Well, you wikk have to spray the engine with water to get the citrus cleaner off of it. The one thing you want to watch for is getting the electonics wet. Alot of people take plastic baggies and tubber bands and cover up all the sensitive parts. There are lots of online resources for this sort of thing, one of my faves is http://www.properautocare.com/engine.html. They have good products and even instructions.

Enjoy!

(Note: I have no affiliation with this website, I just think they have good stuff.)

10. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Hey, hey, hey....Jerry sells Karcher steam cleaners, so steam away!! Seriously, there is nothing that beats steam for this task. I have done it for years and have NEVER had a problem. I get pretty aggressive too.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

11. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Definately stay awau from the steam cleaners if possible. I also reccomend minimal water and a good citrus cleaner (P21S All purpose works great). As mentioned above, try to cover electrical components and use minimal amounts of water.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Interesting. Every time your service department cleans your engine they use a steam cleaner :D.

My fathers garage had one just for this purpose and we steam cleaned 1000's of engines. Why would it damager hoses, they are not delicate things they are hoses designed to work in HOT, oily conditions and little steam is not going to hurt them. Most engine parts are washed with Kerosene too ... so if you are worried about your poor little delicate hoses ... get out the tissues :D

Remember your Ferrari is a car, not a labrador puppy ;)

Pete

13. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Pete:

I understand where you are coming from, but you are not cleaning internal engine parts here. You are trying to get the oil and dirt off of the visible mechanical items. The issue with today's cars are the electronic modules under the hood. You do not see many people taking their PC out into the driveway and rinsing it down with a hose and kerosene do you? The engine bay of today's car is more sophisticated then a PC. You need to avoid causing problems whenever possible and water is easier to aviod with plastic bags then steam IMHO. Whenever I detail a client's engine, it is with as minimal amount of water as possible. Just my opinion.