Ferrari Hybrid.... | FerrariChat

Ferrari Hybrid....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tacoz4sale, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tacoz4sale

tacoz4sale Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Hello folks!

i have seen on the news that by the year 2007, that gasoline will almost be depleted. Thus as you see, there are more and more hybrids coming out. What should/would ferrari owners do if this gas becomes rare?......

-Can there be another ferrari hybrid that pumps out alot of juice than ever and have more power?....

-what about the ferraris that we love lik ethe 288 gto, f40, f50, and enzo?.....

i personally count on owning a ferrari some day...and i know i wouldnt want to be driving a ferrari if the gas prices were about 20 dollars a gallon and so forth....

2. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    There will always be Gasoline. We can make the stuff it is called ethanol. I hate the stuff but we can do it. You can convert your car to alcohol or propane with a few mods.

I wish we would utilize one of the largest oil finds in US history. Bill Clinton set aside several thousand acres in Alaska to do just that.

If we would just produce half what we could the price of gas would be 75 cents a gallon.

3. tacoz4sale

Dec 2, 2003

yeah..i see. 75 cents isnt bad at al....lol..

if the prices were only 10 cents a gallon...hmm.......

4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You must be visiting news stations that have a particular spin.

However, the proven reserves in the Persian gulf region can supply the current worlds demands until aournd 2050, 2070 with more exploration in the Persian region (OPEC notwithstanding). If you add in the Russian oil and the Alberta oil shale deposits, and the gulf of Mexico, there is enough oil with demand increasing at the current rate until at least 2110. Adding in the estimated reserves under the ANWAR region adds only 2 to 3 years to this total. If airplane travel continued to grow at the rate in the 1990s the worlds oil might run out in the 2090 range. Thus, there is plenty of oil for our lifetimes and our childrens lifetimes, but not for their childrens lifetimes.

No, go away and quit asking for Ferrari to be just like everyone else.

Its like comparing the milage of the vette with the millage of the 360.

GM put an unuseable 6th gear in the vette gear box, and added an ultra fuel conservation mode in the ECU, and setup the suspension for low friction while driving down the road (not Z06). This makes 5th gear handle all the work from 120 through 180 MPH. Cruising at 60 MPH the Vette (coupe) can and does achieve 31-32 MPG.

The 360, on the other hand, has a properly spaced 5th and 6th gears and top speed is achieved at peak power in 6th gear. Ferrari did not put in an ultra conservation mode in the ECU, and sets up the suspension for a delicate balance between quickness on the track and calmness on the road. I can get 22 MPG cruising at 60 MPG in my F355 while CAFE millage would indicate 17 MPG max hiway. If you added only a 7th gear set to rev out in the 270 MPH range, you could get the 360 to deliver about 27 MPG at 60 MPH cruise. Realign the suspension for rolling friction and you might get to 29 MPG (7 gears). Ferrari didn't bow to CAFE and to the government, it built a car to match the deamnds of owners who actually want to drive their car as it was designed and intended.

<<I should note that my F355 gets better milage than my small SUV daily driver>>

However, if needed, Ferrari could dramatically imporve gasoline milage. However this would detract from the character of these cars. If you want a high power sports car that gets good milage, buy the Vette. If you want a hybrid in the next 10 years, buy a Honda or Toyota. Leave Ferrari to do with it does best.

Milage is more about ECU programming and gears than about engine power and handling.

There is plenty of oil, whether you like it or not.

Why not? we used to say these things whe I was a kid. Gasoline was generally 25c/gallon and in the gas wars of the late 1960s often dipped to 17c/gallon. Adjusting for monetary inflation, this is about $1.40/gallon in last years economy. My dad used to warn me about buying a car that did not get good fuel millage since gasoline could approach <gasp> 75c/gallon!

So, up to the time of the current admisistration, gasoline prices were lower than at any time in the last 50 years (based on average wage taken home to price of regular grade). As a comparison the 365 GTB was around $17,000 the first year while the current 575 is $220,000 (slightly over 10X) most of this inflation occured in the 1980s due to unfortunate economic decisions of the Ford, Carter and Regan administrations.

5. tacoz4sale

Dec 2, 2003
    whoa...looks like you know your stuff...lol. ok..i guess i wouldnt even have to worry about anything then..thanks!

6. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    What you worried about here in the UK gas is £4.00 a gallon.

7. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    Yup, everyone else pays big bucks for their gas and us Americans are complaining that our national avg for gas is $1.70-ish. I just dont' say anything because I know it could be worst.