Fuel Octane Levels and The 91 Testarossa | FerrariChat

Fuel Octane Levels and The 91 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by The Mad Hatter, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    All,

I have read with much interest the posts describing the higher octane fuels (94 and I think someone actually mentioned 100) and wanted to get your take on what is best for a 91 Testarossa. Does it require an octane level higher than 93 or does it really matter since it is a 1991? Your thoughts/opinions based on your experiences are very appreciated! Thank you.

Cheers,
    Travis

p.s. If it is required to run something higher than 93 does anyone know of a good stop in the Annapolis/Crofton area? ;-)

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you only drive it moderately*, you can get away with 91 octane, If you like to romp on it regularly, you need to find a source of a little more in the octane department.

*Stay away from more the 60% throttle in the 2500-4000 RPM range

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Why is this a mystery? Check your OM (Lubricants and Liquids) -- it lists the fuel requirement as 91 RON minimum (which is about 86 AKI minimum as shown at US fuel stations) -- I haven't noted any detonation using 87 AKI minimum (but my elevation lowers the octane requirement). Using 91 AKI is super-conservative -- using anything higher would be silly IMO.

4. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    I just wanted to draw on the experiences of the individuals here to get the best advice on which octane level to use and what has worked best for them in the past/present. Thanks to you, I now know what to do when I move to Denver ;-)

Cheers,
    Travis