I was just told of FoH track day at TWS... | FerrariChat

I was just told of FoH track day at TWS...

Discussion in 'Texas' started by maranelloman, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

...on 4/25.

Anyone going?

Am I on FoH's ***** list since I dared to criticize them on this forum? I used ot receive all their mailings & invites. Now, nada, even as an FCA chapter head.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Dave, I guess they just forward yours to me now. :) Sunday only, $325. I will go one day to see the Ferraris and hang out with famous drivers and Risi, but I'm in no rush considering price, just the 1.8, I'm at TWS once a month anyway, and I have a MSR membership.

BTW Dave, just set my PR in the SRX7 last weekend with a 2:03.5. Fastest time of the weekend in my class, going off big backwards in T2 kept me from the win. Mark McKenzie had a great weekend too going under 2:00 for the first time in his Factory Five.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Rob, I believe that it's $300 bucks per driver plus a guest.

Come on Dave, you gotta go. Maybe we can mate our cars.

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Rob, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is flying for a SRX7!!!! Great news for Mark, too.

I guess I am not totally surprised that someone might "accidentally" remove my name from their lists, despite me having used their excellent service dept. on several occasions, and praising it to high heaven. Some folks just can't handle occasional & gentle critique, I guess.

Dale, I will think about it. I dislike the 1.8 course, and my 550 (as I tend to drive it) is just too much car for that course. In addition, I instruct probably 8 times a year there, so I get pleny of track time at TWS...on the 2.9. And I don't pay! ;-) Maybe I might bring the 328, however... I will consider it.

5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If I remember correctly, the last FOH post you did was an angry thing and how you didn't care if some retaliation came back your way.

Then, they can see all the praise you have heaped upon FoSA here at FC.

Perhaps 1 and 2 were connected to your detriment.......

6. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Mitch, your memory is flawed.

I have posted gentle critique & strong praise--deserved & backed up with FACTS in my posts--of that organization. The last FoH post I did, IIRC, showed my anger at them having screamed & complained at Grady & Al & Rob about my gentle, justified-with-facts critique, in their desire to have the aforementioned folks censor ANY posts or other public comments (from me or other parties) that are less than flattering to that organization. My anger was at a feeble attempt at censorship, alone.

As for FoSA, I have heaped no more praise on them than I have heaped on FoH (probably less, actually, since they fixed a problem caused by FoSA)...and both were deserved. I have had good & bad experiences at both, and have posted such. Please do not mischaracterize my posts.

However, i do agree with you on one thing: the connection of those things to my detriment is possible. And if in fact that did happen (a big "if"...), I guess I will decide where any future dealer service work is done. Since dealers make their REAL money from service, and I have been VERY effusively positive about FoH's service organization, this strikes me as an odd way for them to get additional service business from me. IF this happened, that is...

;-)

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I'm SURE no dealers hold grudges...Charles Barrett of FoSA is a friend, but I have had suboptimal dealings with the GM there, not forthright to customer or store. Salesguys and service are great, though. FoH is too far away, and I was roundly blown off by Risi et al in early-90's when I was looking @ 355. Too busy with Fur boy Frame et al to pay attention to me. I only had had 5 F-cars by then.

Rob, nice time...and if you're gonna leave a racecourse, best to do it backwards ;)

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That weekend's already too busy!

Dave you know about the Art Car Party that Friday night on the roof of Maggie Mae's? It IS a costume party...but don't think P. Frame can make it.

Then.. instead of actually BEING in the Austin Art Car Parade, we have to beat feet back to Houston to see Emmy Lou Harris at the IFest here.

Come down to the party Friday night, and maybe blast down to Houston with us Saturday!!!!!

Don't feel too bad... I've shopped at the Parts Dept. for YEARS and only Russell knows me.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Did anyone ever post those "furry" pics? There was a big article about them in the Houston Press. LOL!

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I think I'll be in Oregon that weekend. Have fun everyone.

11. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

This cost is if you want to take a car on the track. If you are just going to see the cars, but not drive, the cost is much less ($25 in the past).

12. thomasmurphy

thomasmurphy Rookie

Dec 14, 2003
    Hey Maranelloman
    Come on up. I'll take you for a ride in the Stradale.
    Tom Murphy

13. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Many thanks, Tom. If I come down, I will definitely take you up on that!!

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Edited by the masked moderator...

15. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah, I was very pleased, turning a 1:59.019 during the race.

Rob, will you take the 355C? I'm anxious to see it. I would love to get a Challenge car and start running NASA and maybe SCCA. If you do well SRX7 this year are you considering racing the 355 more next year? Did you see Robert Hahn's 996 in our closed wheel race group? I didn't see him for long! With a few cars like Hahn, Becky Laughlin's 911, Jay Matus C5....... it would be fun to run Challenge cars.

I might come the 25th and bring the 550, although the 1.8 is not as fun as the 2.9 you still get turns 1&2.

Mark McKenzie

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Mark, Robert Hahn is an ex-SRX7 racer. We're dangerous, sometimes we forget if we're in a trashable RX7 or a $75k race car! :)

Well, SCCA T-1 has a 10 year limit, which would only give mine 1 more year. It's not competitive anymore against the Z06's and Vipers either. I would also need the SCCA legal cage, as the higher quality metal FIA cage isn't legal in SCCA. So for all those reasons I'm not even considering SCCA for the Challenge.

Now the NASA race I did last year was a blast and wouldn't mind doing that now and then. However, until I get a two car trailer, my priority is SRX7 racing as I'm fighting for the championship.

I'm really thinking of other classes...

SRX7 - Can not beat the fun for the buck in this class. Good already built cars for < $4k. 115 RWHP in a 2,200 pound car. This year I've gone 2:03.5 on the TWS 2.9, 1:21.9 on the TWS 1.8, and 1:28.9 at MSR. We have large car turnouts of 10+ cars with some great drivers... several with 10-20 years experience, some guys that were pros, and an Australian Karting champ. The guys are awesome too. We all help each other out and do many social things away from the track. We all eat together the Friday and Saturday of race weekends.

T1 - I love this class. Not overly prepared (headache) hot fast street going cars. I would probably go with a Z06.

FSCCA/FM - Not sure if I would like open wheel or not, but it would be fun to try and these guys are serious and probably the best drivers out there. Darrl Wyllis is an X pro motocrosser and is leading the FM championship. These guys drink only milk shakes on race weekends to keep the weight down! They are really serious.

SSB/SSC - Maybe the closest and most competitive thing vs. SRX7 racing, but with new cars!

Spec Miata - Same as SRX7, but if they make it a national class like many think, then I would love to race SM's and go to nationals.

CSR/DSR - Too technical for me, but if I had a race engineer I would love this. That yellow one Sunday was just beautiful. Not sure I like the motorcycle engines though.

Factory Five - Man, I think you might be in the right class already. With several (4-5) running in SCCA races in the SP class. It would be nice if it was in a national class.

Panoz in GT2 - Now that they move the Panoz out of GT1, I think this is an attractive class. A very awesome exotic car and it's a buyers market for the used ones.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    It often is.

18. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney

You mean there is a difference? :D

19. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It always seems like the grass is greener, but you're probably right, in that the Factory Five may be the way to go. My dilemna is that my car is based on an old Mk1 chassis that I built years ago into an SCCA ITE car, only to have SCCA change their collective mind. My motor is way illegal for the spec series, and the idea of downgrading my motor or buying into a "new" better handling car that's essentially what I have with less hp, just doesn't seem too exciting.

I did drive a Panoz GTS (?) at TMS and that might be a good way to go, with a fairly bullet proof inexpensive drive train, relative to a 355C anyway.

So many things to ponder.....

See you in San Antonio.

Mark McKenzie

20. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Does anyone have info about spectator costs? Who should I contact if I just want to come out and watch the other Fcars run?