328 K&N Filter? | FerrariChat

328 K&N Filter?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by MMechling, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    I went to K&N website and didn't see 328 on it. Is it worth getting a K&N or should I stay with factory?

2. Steve

Steve Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Steve Jenkins
    I put together a K&N reference chart for Ferraris a while ago here:

http://www.ferrariclub.com/faq/knfilter.html

I may need to update it for the newer models, but the 328 part numbers (old and new) are listed.

Or, you can use the search tool on the K&N USA site:

http://www.knfilters.com/appinq.htm

Interesting to note, however, that they list an 88 328GTB, but don't list a result. They don't even list the 89 328. So for 328, just use the part listed in my FerrariClub.com FAQ.

3. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Thanks - it comes up as not available now... I guess they quit making one for it.

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,you can get a K&N filter for a 308 at any Murray's Auto Parts stores. About $35.00 I believe. How different is a 328 filter from a 308?

Check the Auto Parts stores in your area. They might just have a couple NOS K&N 328 air filters in stock in their warehouse. (I'd buy a few,if K&N discontinued them...)

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    If you will measure the OEM filter, you can find the K&N that will fit from the list of universal K&N filters. I recall that when I bought one for my ex-TR, it was the same size filter as the Dodge Aries I believe.

6. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Is it worth having a K&N?

7. MMechling

MMechling Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    They have one listed for Mondial - I don't if there is a differnce though...

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    The 328 filter (33-2518) should not be too hard to find. Last year I did a google search for one and found a dozen places that had it. Anyone who sells K&N's just call and ask them to get it for you.

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Bought mine in Nov 03 from Europa spares in the UK, they did not have it listed but after a call to K&N they said they DO make them to special order,it took three weeks. I found the K&n allowed my 328 engine to rev more free'er and it did feel better.

10. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
  11. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Only if you have reason to believe that Ferrari engineers weren't smart enough to make the airbox big enough to not choke the engine.

My view: I doubt Ferrari engineers were too dumb to make sure that they didn't leave HP on the table by fitting a too restrictive air filter.

12. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Well, considering where those same Italians put timing belts/water pumps/battery boxes, I wouldn't put it past them.......

What about the idea of just dropping the air box altogether and bolting on a conical performance-type air filter? Anyone done this?

13. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Yeah, cones are even better - nothing like sucking in hot engine compartment air to kill hp.

I'm surprised that Ferrari owners would fall for K&N's marketing, or messing around with the intake when it isn't a problem. I guess I can't pin that only on the Honda Boyz and BMW 3 series drivers any more.

14. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Absolutely incorrect, K&N filter applications provide noticeable performance enhancements in all their Ferrari applications and can be further improved with other mods as well. Not saying Ferrari engineers didn't know what they were doing, it's just that as always in life there is room for improvement.

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I don't believe that the K&N air filters will find you any hidden power.

If, however, you need an air filter, you can always order one based on the dimensions of your filter, instead of the application. Take it out and measure it. You may even get the same thing a lot cheaper!

16. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Where do you get that information from?

I'd like to see it.

It is NOT true that "always in life there is room for improvement." If the engine can pull, for example, a maximum amount of 100 liters of air through it per minute, and the stock filter is capable of flowing 100 liters of air per minute, then adding a filter that can flow 101 liters, 1001, or 10 billion liters of air won't improve anything.

It's like having a faucet that can flow 1 gallon per minute. Attach a hose to it that can flow 1 gallon per minute. In one minute, you'll get one gallon. Now attach a hose that can flow 1,000 gallons per minute and turn the faucet on. You'll still only get one gallon per minute.

If the air filter is not the bottleneck in the system (and, usually it isn't, usually the exhaust or the head itself or the throttle body is the bottleneck), then putting a more free flowing air filter on will get you . . . absolutely nothing.

And, if the air filter is the bottleneck on a Ferrari . . . then Ferrari engineers are idiots for leaving free and easy HP and gas mileage on the table.

17. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    I get this info from my friend and fellow Ferrari owner and afficionado 512Professore who has owned several Ferraris, currently owns a 512TR and is a mechanical engineer that has studied ALL the various component pieces on the market for all types of performance mods and has highly modded his car and others for other members of the board. You should talk to him, he is interested in bringing performance packages to the market for turnkey sale. K&N works.

18. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    The 328 injection system is mechanical and so changing the filter to a K & N will make a difference. K & N does not list them in their catalog but take yours out and measure it and call them at 800-858-3333 and tell them the size you have. The 328s had about 2-3 different sizes and they will give you the part number to match. Mine is an '89 and I believe that it was # 33-2175. One of the lowest prices I had found was at Performance International at 800-522-1672 and they have them in stock and also pay the UPS charges.

Robert Mann

19. RussF

RussF Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    More HP freer revs etc. from a K&N. Why not just run the engine without a filter and see if revs freer or seems more powerful. If not how can a K&N help since it is still more restrictive than running without the filter?

20. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    If i felt a difference in my 328 with a K&N,like i said it felt more free'er. It would be interesting to know who did not feal a difference....

21. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I too noticed that the 328 filter wasn't listed on the K&N site but they did list a filter for the Mondial 3.2. I ordered that filter and, sure enough, it fit.

22. Robert Mann

Robert Mann Karting

Feb 21, 2001
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Robert Mann
    When I called K & N for the part number, I asked them why they did not list the Ferrari 328s and they did not have a clue. All they could do was to give me the part number that matched my measurements. It was interesting as when I then called Performance International they were suprised as they told me that it also fit some type of Dodge truck and that they sold quite alot of them each month. They shipped it that day and UPS delivered it in 3 days.

Robert Mann

23. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I completely agree with RussF, if you think a K & N may work for you, take out your regular filter and go for a drive, if you find the car performs better then consider buying the filter, if not save your money. Sounds like a simple test to me.

24. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    First, the 328 injection system is NOT a mechanical injection system. It is a Bosch Motronic injection system, which is not mechanical. Check Charles Probst book on Bosch fuel injection for some of the basics on fuel injection and mechanical v. non-mechanical injection systems.

Second, even if it were a mechanical system, that would not necessarily mean that changing the filter to a K&N would make a difference. The type of specific fuel injection system has absolutely nothing with whether a K&N filter will make a difference.

There is a lot of disinformation, misinformation, and flat out silly statements on this "tech" forum - I'm surprised that Ferrari owners are not more technically knowledgeable or technically sophisticated. That's not a slam, I'm just a little surprised.

25. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    Doesn't work, because 1) even if there were a slight difference, it would be imperceptible by simply driving, and 2) there is a psychological factor in play - if you BELIEVE K&N's marketing and BELIEVE that it will increase HP, then you will PERCEIVE a difference.

That perceived difference is how K&N makes their money.