F1 driver experience & car reliability | FerrariChat

F1 driver experience & car reliability

Discussion in 'F1' started by zff, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Am I imagining it or does the better/more experienced driver seem to -- on average -- have the more reliable car? I'm thinking specifically about MS and RB's F2002 and McLaren ever since Kimi came on board. I seem to have non-specific memories of this pattern holding true for other teams as well over the years.

IF I'm not imagining this, and historically, the "#1" driver has had fewer car failures, why is this? Is it because a more senior driver knows how to go fast while being gentler to his car? Or do teams give the better driver the better car?

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Money. The top teams can spend more money on development of the car and chassis. Also Ferrari has a bunch of bright engineers that understand fully that "it is not the fastest car on the track that wins" If we take a look at the # of engine meltdowns that Ferrari, Williams, and Mclaren have had over the past 2 seasons. you will see that Ferrari has had none in a race. In fact the last meltdown in a race was by RB ant Indy. And he did not back off that much once the problem was detected.

Kimi on the other hand seems to have a lot of engine failures. I would say it is partly due to his style of driving and Ilmor producing engines made of glass.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This has always been true. Jimmy Clark use to bring home a car with 1/2 the tires left and enough brakes to do another 1/2 race distance and the engine sounding sweet. His team mate use to bring home a completly worn out car (when he finished).

McLaren has been in engine problems since the ban of Berylium for engine parts (aluminum Berylium for piston wrist pins, and nickle berylium for valve seats.)

Kimmi's problems are in his head first, and then he needs to step up and develop the car back into a leadership position.

MS simply knows how to get the most out of the car without punishing the car, RB can get almost out of the car, but tends to punish the car more (at least the previous 2 years).

F1 cars are unwilling to take a lot of punishment (overrevs, hanfisted shifts), and the new 1 engine rule is separating those who can avoid punishment (Alonzo, Trulli, Button) from those who cannot (Kimmi).

4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #4 writerguy, Apr 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    By the looks of it, it seems as if the better driver is the one who can bring a car home without it being dead. So has that been consistent with all of the WCs? Or is that the difference between winning one WC vs 6? (I've grown up in a F1 world where there has been only one WC, and that's Schumi. Well it seems that way anyway.)

I'm asking because if that's the case then Kimi has a long way before he is a champion, same goes for JPM. They both seem to beat up their cars pretty well during the race.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good drivers always get the speed out of themselves and take it easy on the car. They work with the car to coax speed out of her, others fight the car to the very end ... fighting the car looses time and stresses components.

Next time you are having a bit of fun on a windy road, try thinking about that and your driving may improve (if you do not do this already ;)).

I have been passengers with many fools that think the only way to drive a car fast is to punish it ... and then I have had passengers relax completely while I am on it and comment afterwards that my gear changes, etc. were so fast AND smooth.

A car is a machine, there is NO machine that works better being abused, they all work better when we fully understand how they work and work with them.

I think Fangio, Jim Clark and Stewart were masters of this, with the Senna, Prost and now MS being the modern players.

Pete

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T

Pete, now your talking.

Tony

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3