Anyone replaced their leather interior with Alcantara? | FerrariChat

Anyone replaced their leather interior with Alcantara?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Tifoso1, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Instead of re-up with leather? My understanding is that Alcantara is about as durable as leather, if not more durable. Right?

2. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I'm ignorant here, whats Alcantara?

3. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I believe that alcantara is also known as ultra-swede, they have a texture and the feel of swede but are made of fabric. So they are easy to clean, and suppose to be equally if not more durable than leather. And they don't need to be treated or conditioned like leather does.

4. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

And why would you put this in a Ferrari?

5. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I would stick to leather(my preference)only get a better quality/better wearing one than the stock leather. I heard that the Connely leather company closed shop. I'd eventually like to re-skin my 308.

6. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    http://www.alcantara.it/english/index.htm

As a replacement for the leather when they are worn out due to lack of care or excessive wear. I have noticed that there are members on this forum with the dashboard leather shrinking on them, and my seats are showing some signs of wear on the bulster areas, I am just thinking of alternatives and If you would take the time and go to their site, you will see that a lot of cars uses them already. Just asking for information and opinions on this product, that's all.

PS: Also, they holds you better during cornering. I know that because I have them on my S4. They have held up so far, but the car is only 3 years old. Just wondering if there are others here on the forum with who are more experienced with them than I do.

7. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Anthony,does'nt the 360 Stradale have the option ok suede seats. I guess the Alcantara could look nice,what color is your interior?

8. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    I ordered the car with cream color leather, which came with dark brown dash etc. as per saleman's recommendation. The color combo is great, and I have no complaints about it at all. It is just that the seats are starting to show some signs of wear. I have been taking care of the leather with Leatherique products for the past 7 years or so, but I have noticed that some of the dyes actually rubs off as I clean them. Anyway, I am afraid to re-dye the seats myself and with the other posts on the forum regarding dashboard issues, it just got me to think of alternatives when the day does come...hopefully never will, but just in case. Anyway, that's why I am posting and asking about it.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It's a very nice material that was used extensively in Maseratis throughout the 70s and 80s.

10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #10 BigTex, Apr 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
  12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'll probably get laughed off the board, but here goes:

In the above picture, what is the red coiled line that appears to go from the steering wheel to the column? I've seen those in other pictures around F-Chat (usually race configured cars, I think?) I looks like the little wrist strap thing I use on jet skis...

-Daniel

13. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    IMHO the glare off of the dash/windshield is a REAL visability/safety issue. I have nightmares about the possibility of missing a kid in a crosswalk because of the glare.
    Has anyone done anything about it, (as in the photo above) or anything else different that doesn't look like a bad rug??

thanks, chris

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm shooting for this look which I find to be both understated & elegant :)

15. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    This wing would nicely accesorize the look of the car :)

16. axis007

axis007 Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    I have yelloe Alcantara seats in my 360 Modena, it is the sport /carbon fiber seats made by Sparco for Ferrari. The fabric is holding up well, i have 22,000 on my car.

17. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    I'll bet the wire coil is for the radio 'push to talk' switch set up for left thumb, and pit speed button on the right.

Cheers,
    Jon

18. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    If you need any help or support just ask us. It IS normal for the DEAD dye to come off. You can WIPE DYE the seats yourself. Do it all the time.
    Take Care
    Georeg P.

19. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Thank you. I will be getting in touch with you soon for advises.