Monterey Historics... which days to attend? | FerrariChat

Monterey Historics... which days to attend?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I'm definitely going to attend the Monterey Historics on Saturday.

Is it also worth going on Friday or Sunday? Friday is the Concorso Italiano. Sunday is the Pebble Beach Concours. And I want to leave time for cruising the California country-side.

Soooo, what's happening on Friday or Sunday that doesn't happen on Saturday???

Also, is there only open grandstand seating at the Historics? Or is there something better?

Thanks!

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I will be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Getting there thursday afternoon and leaving back home Monday morning. I am thinking about tyring to arrange an Fchatters dinner one of the nights so keep yourself updated!

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Brain, you gotta do the Concorso at least one in your life. You while see so many red Ferraris that you will have dots before your eyes for days.

Plus, I believe that there are auctions on Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Just eyeballing the RM cars in the patio before the auction is worth it all by itself.

Me, I plan on getting there on Thursday. I might have to leave Sunday to meet my mother in San Fran. If I wasn't, I'd stay for the FCA events. Who can pass up a chance to run Laguna!

4. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Sorry, I wasn't clear... I'll be in Monterey from Thursday on... I'm asking about the Monterey Historics event on Fri and Sun...

I'll be arriving Thurs morning in time for lunch in Carmel (when the Pebble Beachers are on their tour). I'll definitely go to the Concorso Italiano on Friday morning... but imagine I could be done by early afternoon. Then what? 1) Hang out at the Concorso; 2) Pop over to The Quail (different thread); 3) Pop over to the Friday session of the Monterey Historics; 4) Go driving around the California wine country or coastlines.

So, the first question is, given I'll be going to the Monterey Historics on Saturday, is there anything particularly cool at the Historics on Friday that I won't see on Saturday??

The second question is similar... but about Sunday rather than Friday... given I will be doing the Pebble Beach Concours Sunday morning to mid-afternoon, is it worth popping into the Historics afterword on Sunday? Anything special happen at the Historics on Sunday?

Hope that was clearer,

Brian

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One of the things on my to-do list is getting this figured out. So keep me posted as to what you find.

You still planning on driving out?

6. toms

toms Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Regarding the Monterey Historics:

The general schedule has practice and qualifying for ALL the classes of cars on Friday. That means that Friday morning practice sessions are for the cars running Saturday's races and the afternoon session will be for Sunday's group. Ferrari's could run in classes for both days with the early cars and the F-1 cars running on Saturday. I have heard that Steve Earle is trying to get an all Ferrari class to run on Saturday, much like the Bugatti's in 2003.

If you like seeing the cars on the track, the best option is to head out of CI early to the track on Friday. Laguna Seca all day Saturday. Pebble early Sunday and back to track in the afternoon. Traffic will be an uncertainty, but will better than in 1994. Piero and I almost didn't make the noon demo run on Saturday because traffic going into Laguna was backed up on Hwy 68 almost to Monterey. Hairy story!

One caution, getting out of Pebble is a pain regardless of the time. Unless you have a VIP pass, you will have to take the shuttle to and from your parked car.

Hope this helps.

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I will be at the CI on friday please stop by and say hello, I will be wearing the team AGIP shirt with my gt4. Saturday is a must for the historics, however it is so dusty I refuse to take my car and have another ride. I have never been to pebble beach but many of the cars will be at the CI and I have little patience for the crowds or the snob set, saying that the cars are there are exceptional. Sunday is usually good at the historics as they have the F1 cars. I cannot make the FCA event but if anyone from out of state wants to call me I am an expert on the places to stay and eat on HWY1 down the coast.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yes. I'll start planning that out in June. Right now I'm just trying to make sure I have all the Monterey-area activities figured out.

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Jordan,

I will be there Friday thru Tuesday let me know the plans for dinner and other F-Chat gatherings :)

Rob

10. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    As someone else said, Friday is practice sessions at Laguna Seca.
    Friday pm after the Concorso is a good time to spend wandering around the pits. You can see the cars up close and talk to the owners. There is less stress on the drivers then and they will be more willing to chat.

Sat you can spend more time watching the races.

There is open grandstand seating at various locations and you can just plop yourself down on a hillside and watch.

There are VIP grandstands but they let you see only a small corner of the action.

Stay light and mobile, keep moving. Take a hat and wear sunscreen!

I am arriving on Thursday around 11 am. At noon a lot of the Pebble Beach cars will drive into Carmel for a lunch stop. The line them up on the main street and you can walk among them for about 2 hours. After lunch the owners come out and talk about their cars. I met Mr. G last year next to his GT40. I had not found Ferrari chat then, and did not know him from Adam.
    He was very gracious and told some wonderfull stories about his car. The whole group of us were enthralled.

Erich

11. toms

toms Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Just a correction. Pebble Beach entered cars are not allowed to participate in other events that weekend. You might have seen a few cars at CI the year AFTER they were entered at Pebble. Trust me, the Ferrari's coming to Pebble this year are rarely seen outside major collections and the factory. They won't be at CI. Do yourself a favor this year and don't miss Sunday.