New to UK section, looking for sat nav help | FerrariChat

New to UK section, looking for sat nav help

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by michael ward, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. michael ward

michael ward Rookie

Feb 9, 2003
    London
    Hi guys,
    I have just shipped my car to UK and will be spending ,most of the summer driving it round Europe and am looking for some help on Sat Nav. I am leaning towards a fitted unit rather than hand held or portable kind. Does anyone know a good person to talk to about what to fit and anywhere decent to get it done (either London or Nottingham area pref)?.
    Many thanks in advance.

ps I have been reading threads here for a while and it helped greatly with my insurance. thanks

2. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have a factory-fit one in my BMW. It is v good, but slow sometimes; I'd therefore recommend a DVD based system.

This style looks good, as it minimises disruption to your dash.

http://www.pistonheads.com/features/satnav.htm

Alpine do DVD based ones, as do other manufacturers. A TMC (traffic message channel) facility is good as it downloads traffic info into the system, and can inform you of delays via the map or a list, and divert around probs.

These Pioneer ones look excellent. From the spec they'd be my choice.

http://www.incardiscount.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Pioneer_Navigation___A_V__Packages_86.html#a1634

Why do you not favour a portable one? Much cheaper, and can be moved from car to car (and also good to have hand held if you get lost when walking through Barcelona!) I thought these looked good

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=578

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/viewprod.php?product_id=730

Hope this is helpful

Robert.

3. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Michael,you say you are looking at a fitted unit but my experience anyway,I have a tom tom navigator 2 and find it useful and relatively easy to use the advantage being you can install it on an existing handheld and will cost you around £200 got mine from Dixons in Stansted airport,they also had Garmin which was about £800 again good as it is easily removed and refitted.

4. harmitc

harmitc Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Bernard R
    I use a Navman almost daily on a hand held, so far 100% reliable. I don't bother even taking a regular map now. You can swap between cars and still use it as a palm top if you wish.

5. Blackspider

Blackspider Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    for what its worth i've had a "Becker" system fitted to my Ferrari, fantastically easy to use, idiot proof even. Single cd disc for the whole of Europe and they are now standard fit OEM for Ferrari. Nuff said.

6. dpsuk999

dpsuk999 Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Leeds UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Im in the process of fitting a becker sat nav system in my 348TS which I removed from my Porsche Boxster but the only wire I cannot locate is the one for the speed sensor (GAL). How can I identify this in the 348?

Any help would be appreciated.

7. exiges

exiges Karting

Feb 26, 2004
    Midlands
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    You may find the wheel-speed sensor connection is optional.

I fitted a VDO Dayton satnav to my partners Corsa and wasn't able to hook up that lead.. it didnt' cause any problems.

8. michael ward

michael ward Rookie

Feb 9, 2003
    London
    Thanks for the responses. I already have a Pioneer system fitted in it (using a hard disk drive rather than DVD) but i used that in Japan and it won't work here. What i am hoping to do is keep the front end (TV screen that comes out of the unit) and use a DVD based back end. I guess if i can't do this i will go with something like Tomtom.

9. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    I have same Becker Traffic Pro in my 360 - great system.

10. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Does any one know where i can get the Ferrari transfer for the front of the stereo as it has the same front panel to the official Ferrari system but has the words Becker Traffic Pro instead?

11. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I just bought an ipaq bundle with the latest bluetooth compatible tomtom 3 software. Should arrive next week - I will report back how it performs.

12. jjustin

jjustin Karting

Jan 20, 2004
    East Anglia - UK
    Full Name:
    Justin.b
    I've been looking at a similar package - be sure to report back once you've given it a try :)

13. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
  14. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    I also have TomTom 3 with GPS receiver. Works great.

For those who have it or are getting it, have a look at www.pocketgps.co.uk where you'll find download links for CheckPOInt (there are other similar apps but this is the one I'm using) and a safety camera database.

There is also another safety camera database at poiplace.oabsoftware.nl, which is created by the author of CheckPOInt.

Richard.

15. Stewart 430

Stewart 430 Guest

Buy a real Ferrari instead of that fake you have.

Regards

Stewart

16. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    What? Like your Ferrari RS6?