Other than Ferrari, was there ever another compelet team to win a race or a WC? | FerrariChat

Other than Ferrari, was there ever another compelet team to win a race or a WC?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Tifoso1, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    By that I mean another major manufacture to win a WC in the modern day F1 with their own car and engine? I know that TAG-Porsche won in the 80's, but that was with their engine bolted onto a McLaren, so that doesn't count. I think Honda did win a race in the 70's with their own car and engine combination, correct?

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Give Renault enough time and they will win the WC. As for Toyota and Jag... Good luck LOL

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Correct, and Porsche (100% Porsche) did win 1 in the 60's too.

Mercedes have won quite a few to in the 50's, and Maserati and Alfa Romeo (infact the first WC or 2).

It really is only the english teams that started the lazy approach :D

Pete

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
  5. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    They did not make their own engines.

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Not sure, but I think Renault also won races in the early 80s with their own cars. I think.

7. Anteriore

Anteriore Formula Junior

Jan 4, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Ramon
    Correct. The famous yellow-white-black Turbo Renaults.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What about Eagle?, did they win any races?

The car was designed and built by Eagle and wasn't the engine also. I know Westlake (I think) was involved.

Also did Matra ever race F1?

Pete

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Until Cooper won the championship in 1959, all F1 champion teams built their own engines and gearboxes.

I think BRM's title in 1962 was the last by a constructor who built their entire car, aside from Ferrari. They won frequent races until 1965, but also won some races as late as 1972.

As was pointed out, Dan Gurney won a race in a Porsche in 1962.

Honda won races in 1965 and 1967, though the latter chassis was built for them by Lola. It was badged as a Honda, so that counts.

Matra won plenty of races with Tyrrell, Stewart and Cosworth, but never won a race with their own engine in the back.

Renault was probably the last constructor building their own engines who won races, in the early '80s, until Alonso's win last year.

Some might argue that Jaguar is a "complete" constructor, since both Jaguar and Cosworth are part of Ford. Does anyone concur? And besides, I'm guessing their gearbox is made by Hewland or someone like that.

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I cannot believe I forgot about BRM. Man I even did a speech on BRM when at engineering school ...

I do not see Jaguar as a soul manufacturer because the engines are BADGED and made by Cosworth.

I also cannot see Cosworth's name being changed to Jaguar.

If Jaguar are considered a complete manufacturer then so has to be McLaren as Mercedes own something like 45% and own Ilmor ...

Pete

11. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Didnt Jackie Stewart drive for Matra before joining Tyrell, or was the tyrell powered by Matra?

12. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Stewart drove a Matra powered by Ford before Tyrell started making their own chassis.