Ferrari to Audi | FerrariChat

Ferrari to Audi

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jim g, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I don't know how true this is. I am a die hard Ferrari fan even though I also have a Murci and while at my Lambo dealer yesterday FC Kerbeck they were telling me that Audi is very close to purchasing Ferrari, Due to Fiats 30 billion dollars in debt. Don't flame the messenger I'm just passing along what they said. I hope to god its not true.

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Hey, if true, you could do a lot worse than Audi. How does GM, Ford, or Chrysler suit your fancy? I've driven Mercedes for 15 years, and I can tell you the quality had slipped markedly within 2 years of the Diamler's "merger" with Chrysler. If Ferrari is for sale, I could only hope for someone the likes of Audi to be a buyer.

3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If VW bought Ferrari, would they want to keep Maserati?
    Maserati was set up to be the volume wing of Ferrari and if VW buys the jewel would they strip Maser off and kill it? Or is the name-sake in history worth the struggle to keep Maser alive? Seems it just becomes too many brands and better to strip away from Ferrari if your parent company doesn't need the volume or entry level car?

Could VW push out 5,000 Lambos and 5,000 Ferrari per year?

What is the profit % on a $200,000 car for these ultra low mfg's ?

4. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    I have not heard even a wisper about this anywhere else, and in my experience dealers have no idea what they are talking about. I'm going to have to say that this will happen just after hell freezes over. :)

5. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I don't think Audi would be a bad parent company at all. I just like the variety having more supercar manuf. out there is better for all enthusiasts imho I just wouldn't want Lambo and Ferrari to be so close to the same. I like that their rivals.

6. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yeah, but Audi's quality is lower than either Mercedes or Chrysler.
    And VW is worse than Audi... one of the worst in the industry.

We can only hope that any purchaser of Ferrari is smart enough
    to keep their hands off and let Ferrari continue to do its thing!

7. tacoz4sale

tacoz4sale Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    SOMEBODY BUY FERRARI!!!... how much is ferrari's net worth?.....why cant someone buy out ferrari and keep its name under a "special" name.....i would rather have ferrari alone then owned by GM or Chrysler.......wouldnt you?....they should also make a contract that says that ferrari cannot be sold within a certain amount of years...like about 10-20 years would be fine...lol.

only thing is....what is the asking price for ferrari?....

(--compare in contrast with another individual of a diffrent race--)

^^you would then know that ferrari's business would fluctuate....therefore..you know people are baised on race period....^^
    ------another ?------

IF ferrari is bought out by a foreign individual...lets say an an ASIAN business man....would the ferrari stock or # of cars be going down?.....

(how about if the business man owns ferrari...but doesnt govern it..the italian righthand man/woman seeks out the detail work while the business man decides what is is best for ferrari. for example-deciding to make a New Ferrari that would dominate any competitor?-

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    James Glickenhaus mentioned the other day, in another thread, that there's the possibility that VW could buy Ferrari... So this is the SECOND time i'm hearing it...

Definitely a scary thought... If it DOES happen, what then...? Does styling go down the tubes...? Will we have trouble distinguishing Murcielagos from F60s or F70s...?

Also, if this happens, will it make the market blow another huge Ferrari bubble like i think it will...? A German-styled 360 would probably be uber efficient, but it just wouldn't look the same as a 360 that came from Maranello... Will the "Italian-designed" Ferraris instantly become more valuable...? Especially models like 3X8s, TRs, etc....?

9. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Could be worse, anyone remember when the Indonesians or Malaysians bought Lamborghini. Some of the ideas then were spooky.

10. Pantera1523

Pantera1523 Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2004
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Scott Carpenter
    Why not the Sultan of Brunei? He is obviously a fan of Ferrari and certainly has the means to make the purchase right? Sure beats having Ford or GM buying it. :D

Scott

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Never forget the words of Karl Marx in "Das Kapital"
    "In the end there will be one Company and then the Government will take it over."

12. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Somehow I just don't see VW buying Ferrari SpA when they already have Lambo in their stable. And where would Maserati fit in? VW already has Audi and Bently for those maket segaments. However, if Toyota were to buy Ferrari, as it certainly has the capitals to do so, it would make more sense. The Japanese manufactures has been trying to break into the ultra elite market, even know Lexus has already came a long way, but to reach Maserati and Ferrari status, I think that is virtually impossible as Ferrari was fortunate enough to start its existance during the Golden Era of "Race on Sunday and sell on Monday". Imagine Toyota reliability and build quality combined with Ferrari and Maserati heritage?

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    By the time that happens, i'll be dead and the dust on my bones will be collecting its own dust...

...at least, i hope i'll be dead before that happens.

14. nwocorp

nwocorp Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    australia
    i agree if any current auto maker buys it, it would be toyota 1. they can afford to 2. it wouldnt seriously clash with their line up. VW wont their books are not looking very good right now even if they had the cash it would badly clash with there current line up add to the fact the can stay as they are now and get all the benifits of the technology sharing without the cost

plus ferrari is profitable and part of fiat not fiat auto if fiat had to sell anything it would be the auto division not ferrari they are also in no hurry as shown by the constant pushing back of a potential ipo.

personly i think if ferrari leaves fiat it will either go independant, be bought by toyota, a wealthy individual/group or a non auto multinational a little for diversification but mainly to use as a profitable brand name to flog the rest of there crap i.e open ferrari.com and get ads for directtv/newscorp, nbc/ge, peninsula hotels etc

(sorry bout the spelling its 5am and im half asleep trying to finish something

15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I want:
    fiat to transfer liscense of the lancia and alfa brands to the M/F group
    fiat to declare chapt 11 for whatever they have over in italy.
    have Gm do its thing with fiat, whatever, have ferrari remake an international company from lancia to alfa to mas to ferrari on top.

If not I want BMW to buy it, since at least the it would have a motorsport flare. Can you imagine ///M group working with Ferrari on engine designs?

If it has to be a japanese company, then only Honda will work I think, since they have the same logic of high Hp low displacement with well sorted engines..

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere

HA! Have you OWNED a Mercedes lately? Trust me, I have one RIGHT NOW, and I can tell you Audi's every bit as good as Mercedes at this point. I hate to think it because I paid a small $ fortune for my Benz, but I'm telling you, it's true. We could only hope a potential suitor was as good as Audi.

17. nickdtm

nickdtm Rookie

Mar 21, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    The only company I'd like to see buy Ferrari is BMW. Other than that, I'd like to see it stay under the Italian ownership of Fiat.

18. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    What model of benz and Audi are you comparing?

19. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If Ferrari can sell 5,000 cars a year I dont see why VW-Ferrari couldt do the same & I imagine they would keep Maser around for SUVs, Limos, & coupes w Ferrari engines.

I think the profit for each Lambo & Ferrari sold is pretty tasty. I wouldnt worry about that. You know that in some cases Ferrari will sell you a FIAT part in a fancy Ferrari box for a 500% higher price :)

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Um, what would happen to the factory if this happened...? Would the factory stay in Italy...? Would VW build a new factory somewhere in Germany or wherever...?

21. klt599

klt599 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    I second that Audi quality is defintely better than Mercedes

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Given Ferrari's value as a brand name (listed last year as #2 in Europe behind Manchester United), I wouldn't be surprised if Deutsche Bank just buys them outright. Or even a multi-billion dollar corp. like Marlboro or Shell.

23. Tifoso1

Tifoso1 F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Pacific NW
    Full Name:
    Anthony C.
    Why BMW only? Is it like, since you can't beat them, buy them out? :)

24. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Both on isolated experiences. Based on studies of hundreds of
    owners, Audi is much worse than Mercedes... almost as bad as VW.

An isolated experience: I just drove a VW Passat... should be renamed the POS-sat.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Audi and Ferrari have already gone into an agreement to share technology ... thus the writting is on the wall.

Pete