Tubi, Stebro, ANSA.....what's the difference? | FerrariChat

Tubi, Stebro, ANSA.....what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F1Ace, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    I have to admit, I love the ANSA sound. I have always loved it's tight and smooth tone. Can anyone tell me what the difference in sound is between it and Stebro or Tubi?

What's your favorite? Why?

Thanks!
    Wes

2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Took off the Tubi from my 95 355 Spider as it was too boomey in the 2500-3000 rpm range. Put on the ANSA performance series and like it a lot better. Still a good deep bass at idle, but better sounds at full scream and around town. Looking for tunnels and underpasses to hear it even better.

3. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    How about Koenig exhaust? Does anyone have that? On a 512TR? Would love to hear a sound clip of it on a TR.

4. 512Professore

512Professore Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    USA, GA.
    Full Name:
    Brian Strasburg
    No, haven't heard a Koenig exhaust on a 512TR, but I did some research on the Koenig system, and the Koenig guys in Germany may some input on this, but it appears as though Koenig outsources their muffler to another manufacturer(perhaps SuperSprint). As far as a comparison to ANSA, good question, as I was told recently from the ANSA rep that they are soon to have sport edition for the 512TR and Testarossa. I offered my car to them so they could test fit/finish and take sound readings, etc. I am waiting for an answer from ANSA, but these guys are slow and just getting back into the "sport" exhaust arena. It will be difficult to beat a Tubi on a 512TR, especially with test pipes.

5. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'm having a Tubi installed on my 328GTS this Saturday... So I'll provide my $.02 then ......

I have a buddy with the Stebro system on his 328 and it sounded "awesome"

I also wasnt sure what to purchase.... So.. I went with the most popular selection of Tubi..

Approx ~$3K for a muffler.... I must be addicted/nuts....

If my wife knew that, she'd be out buying new furniture that day...

Good luck on your choice...
    Patrick

6. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    Patrick,

Are you doing the install yourself or having it done? If you do it yourself could you take some digital pics of the process as I am serious considering the Tubi for my 86 328 also.

7. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Anyone considering aftermarket exhaust should consider Capristo. It's the best I've heard so far, at least for the 360.

Gary

8. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Frat..

No problem, I'll take some pics of the Tubi install for you.

I wont be doing it myself though.. The shop that did my recent Major (Ferrari Service of Costa Mesa) is basicly doing the install for free. These guys are just fantastic... I couldn't be happier with their quality and customer service... (I'll provide a detailed thread with the pictures the shop took regarding major service soon) It's just so rare to find a shop like that... If anyone wants specifics I'd be happy to fill them in..

Patrick

9. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I didn't forget everyone... The Tubi install came out awesome!

It's an incredible sound.. not too loud at idle and just throaty enough during acceleration for prefection..

The wife left me with no-battery on the digital camera but I did get a few low-res pics with my Palm-Pilot for everyone.

I did want to hear the difference before and after the installation so I duct-taped my $500 palm pilot to the bumper (stupid but it worked) and got some comparison sounds for anyone thinking of doing this.

I've got a huge client coming in from Texas for the next two days but I'll post everything on Friday.

Patrick

Frat: I sent you a PM

10. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Hi Gary,

Is this system also marketed under the name LC Racing?

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I don't know much about the LC Racing product, except that it is LOUD! It's not the same as the standard Capristo.

Gary

12. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    One of the things I like about the Stebro on my 308QV is that you can take out the tip inserts when you're on the track and REALLY get full flow -- and of course that makes the car VERY loud like a full racecar.

The sound *with* the inserts in is like a Tubi, perhaps a bit deeper of a "growl". The sound is awesome. I figure for a 308 or 328 where you don't see the muffler except for the tips anyway (unless you have a Euro), why pay 2x as much for the extra polished appearance of the Tubi?

13. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Mike, do you have a picture you can post of you car showing it with the tips on and off?

14. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Thanks Mcharness, yours is a very helpful post for me.

I hear a lot of Hondas, etc. running around with an exhaust note that says "Booooooooriiiiing", but if they ever revved it up it sounds pretty good. I am concluding here that the Stebro and Tubi are too throaty or boomy for my liking, and that I will be better off with the ANSA.

I might have thought the Stebro would be more like the ANSA so it's good to learn here that's not the case.

I had ANSA on my 85 Vette and it sounded awesome, I can't wait to hear it on a Ferrari! Redline here we come! *Paaaaaaaaaaaaa * Paaaaaaaaaaaa*
    Paaaaaaaaaa......

Wes

15. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    The LC exhaust I saw also had the Capristo stamped on it.

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I think it is made by Capristo, but is much louder than the standard Capristo. Maybe LC stands for "Loud Capristo" :)

Gary

17. HGParts

HGParts Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Heiko from HGParts
    hi

LC Racing is a company in germany they buy Capristo exhaust system and have the Stamp LC Racing on its same with Novitec they also buy the capristo exhaust and have the stamp Novitec on them. the LC racing version they sell under the name is the race version of the Capristo(sound3) and its realy very loud more made for the race track. Capristo has 3 sound versions i normaly dont sell the version 3 thats the one LC Racing sells. All my customers have Sound2 and all are very happy with it. for more info just send me email

18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    The tips don't actually come off... but the inserts come out. They're substantial, and with them in, it looks like the stock setup, though still sounds MUCH better. It only takes a minute to remove or replace them, so I just went out and took one out for this digital pic. It looks "mean" with them all removed, but it's then much too loud for normal comfort.

19. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Very cool. First I've actually heard of something like this.

20. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Besides the cost-to-performance ratio, the removable tip inserts is what I consider one of the major benefits of Stebro versus Tubi (or other manufacturers).

21. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    Thanks for posting that! I'm torn between which exhaust to order right now. The price of the Stebro with the removable tips option is certainly attractive and the fact that it isn't visible on my car either. HOwever the tubi looks like a much better unit and Stebro hasn't been getting very good reviews lately either.....

22. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    How was the fit of the exhaust? Did it need any modifications or did it just bolt right up?

23. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    In my observation, that usually seems to be, "I heard from someone that..."

Almost all the reviews of the Stebro exhaust here on FChat by people who OWN one are positive, except for the sometimes slow response to phone calls or emails. I think Stebro is probably a smaller company; every time I've had contact with sales it's always been the same guy, Dan Petschenig.

Anyway, I've personally used Stebro stuff for years, and I like it and recommend it.

24. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    How did my response to your post get posted before yours?

25. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    ;)

Anyway, in regard to your "earlier" (?) question, it did bolt right up, perfect fit.