couple questions on the 456 | FerrariChat

couple questions on the 456

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by smg2, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i have been trying to decide between the 456 and the maser, leaning real heavy towards the 456. but i do have a few questions, i picked up a copy of Forza last night and it had a buyers guide on the 456. the article pointed out the current depreciation and it's continuance, along with prices were noted to be from 60-100k. but my recent searching shows them to be priced higher. am i missing something or are the owners in denial? not that i mind the higher price but i'm wondering if the article was correct. not intrested in taking a bath.

now for the important questions, reliabilty is noted to very good for a ferrari, has this been true for those who currently or have owened one? cost of commen replacement items, belts, hoses, pads etc.. i assume most here buy from outside sources saving money? insurance, not cost but should i source out a specific company or use my current carrier? what are the cons to not having the dealer do the services? what specific areas should i look at when looking at used 456 GT's? and is the "M" worth the extra cost?

this next question is more based on Ferrari as a company then the car, in terms of standing behind its cars does Ferrari get picky on what is warrenty work vs. not? I'm just getting past a real bad burn from a big european mfg, and really don't want to repeat that. in your experiance does Ferrari stand up and say "yes that was a in-house problem" or "sorry you did, somehow"? not being picky but i gotta tell you after last year i still haven't bought another car. i never thought it would bother me this much but when it happens it really gets you off gaurd.

lastly this would be a cash purchase only becouse i don't like payments and i plan on keeping this longer then the term of a loan. am i crazy for thinking it will save me interest charges becouse i plan on keeping it around as long as possible?

i thank you all for the responses in the other thread and the great help you have been, i had thought of picking up a 328 or the newer F355 but the idea of having another car that needs its engine ripped out for work is to much. my dragster fits that bill already and the missus will only tolerate so much, as she says "you spend too much time in the batcave".

2. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I like the maser but I don't think it's serious competition for a 456 - you'd buy it, find it a reliable and entertaining daily driver but always wish you were in a Ferrari. Besides - those fake intakes on the C pillars should make up your mind alone!

I don't know about prices in the US, but certainly here in the UK the dealers are hard-nosed. I guess at the end of the day they're aren't that many around. Think about it though - you could pay as little as a third of what the guys who bought a 456 new last year paid, and still have an almost comparable car!

Reliability - I can only pass on what I've heard as I've only had mine for 3 weeks... Better than most Ferrari's but these cars can be very expensive when they go wrong. My car's PO had a problem with the Management system - this cost him £5K to eventually put right and left him with the impression that the car couldn't be depended on. He sold it as he couldn't rely on it as a daily driver. I have it as a weekend car, so I'm less worried, and I wouldn't try to use it daily. My experience of reliability has not been great in three weeks to be honest - I got home the other night and the drivers window wouldn't go back up - it's in the shop right now being repaired.

Of course, get one that's just had all the major bills paid - a service including cambelts and the rear shocks replaced. Also, a car that's had the factory window upgrade would be worth seeking out, though this apparently doesn't resolve the sealing problem for good.

Regarding the door windows - apparently a lot of cars have had the upgrade done under warranty, which suggests Ferrari do admit and resolve their own mistakes WITHIN THE MANUFACTURER WARRANTY PERIOD. Most older cars have not had the upgrade, which suggests they won't do it outside of it.

Insurance - not as bad as you might think unless you're getting a very new one. I stuck with my newish 928GTS policy and only had to pay an additional £400 ($720). Another reason for getting an older car! Mine is a 97. Of course, I'm assuming US underwriters assess risk similarly to UK ones.

I decided an M wasn't worth the extra cost, they're at least £10K ($18K) more here in the UK. Besides, I prefer the front end styling of the non-M.

Definitely pay cash if you can - apart from the saving in interest (which you'd find it tough to make up investing the cash elsewhere) you'll have a nice warm feeling knowing that the V12 Ferrari on your drive is ALL YOURS. MMMMmmm.

Go on, get one - despite my window problem, having developed a limp from the heavy clutch and being alternately cooked and frozen by the rubbish climate control, I still love mine to bits - best purchase I ever made.

Dan

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    thanks for the reply, great write up. i had heard of the window regulator problem. my M3 had all the window regulators replaced 3x in less than 2yrs. must be a supplier problem.

any body else have afew cents or dollars to toss in?

4. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Regarding price it seems like you always hear these stories of people getting these incredible deals that seem to disappear when you're looking. So I think a great car at a fair price will save you $$ in the end.

Check the search function re: extended warranties. You may find a guy willing to throw one in for you as long as you're not grinding him on price.

Buy what you think you'll enjoy, do your homework and get a great car at a fair price and you'll be happy :)

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have owned my 95 456 since last August.

My car has been relatively trouble-free, once we got past some teething problems-- the car had not been driven much the previous few years. Maintenance, however, is not cheap, and I am very happy that the dealer I bought my car from was local and stood behind it when I had some issues.

As far as Ferrari North America, you have to remember that the 456 is now an out of production (i.e. "old") car. If you buy a nine year old car, it's probably too much to expect them to do anything for you.

However, up until last year they were doing the window fixes under warranty in the US. My car was done in 2001, 4 years after the warranty expired, at no charge! I believe they are no longer doing this, however, and the bill is around $8k.

So, I would look for one with the window fix done.

All in all, 456s are phenomenal cars. I absolutely love mine, and I highly recommend them.

6. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    Among other cars, I also briefly considered a 456 before I purchased my Maser Coupe 2 months back.

FWIW, here are my 2 cents…

Reasons to buy the 456:
    The Ferrari name and heritage
    the V12 noise
    the open-gated shifter feels great (if you get the manual)

Reasons to buy the Maserati:
    The Maser will be the newer car, under warranty (4 years/ 50K miles)
    Service costs are lower (major service is only at 50K miles as the car uses timing chains instead of belts.
    Cambiocorsa Paddle Shifters (if that is your preference) or 6 speed stick shift
    Nimbler handling than the Ferrari 456
    Nicer interior than the 456

Depreciation would be significant with either car – count that as a given. In the Maserati’s case, the depreciation is somewhat offset by lower service and repair costs – which can be significant.

Overtaking acceleration of the two cars is pretty similar – 440 hp for the Ferrari versus 390 hp for the Maserati, but the Maser is a smaller and lighter car.

I preferred driving the Maserati so I chose that car. I would highly recommend driving both the Ferrari and Maserati so you can see which suits you better.

Keep in mind that the driving experience is totally different depending on whether you have the Camiocorsa or GT (for the Maser), and whether you have the manual or auto (the 456). So when you drive examples of each car – try to do the drive in the car with the gearbox of your preference.

Good luck with your choice
    - Jon

BTW, my primary alternative to the Maser was the Porsche 911 Turbo. You can see my comments here:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13429

7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay i went and checked out a 456M today, as i was pressed for time i didn't get to do a full on looksie.

First biggest problem; the seats, at 6'5" i can fit if the seat is all the way back. however the width of the seat will only accomodate half my ass. built for ity bity people i guess.
    second issue: pedals, a 13EEE can NOT work those lilipution door handles called pedals.

if i was to find some remote way to work the ergonomics out for me the car would still only fit 2 other people. so it's back to the maser which odlly enough does fit fine.

it's shame becouse i think the 456 looks better than the Maser.

side note: i'm not overweight by any means either, i have spent the last 10yrs perfecting my bodybuilding routine and in the last 3 have figured out what works best. downside is that things are getting hard to fit into. 6'5" 240lbs at 10% bodyfat. granted right now i'm on gains so i'm slightly larger but even when it's cut time i don't see how i'd make into that car. dang't

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    smg2 - that's too bad!

But you do fit in the Maser?

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    oddly yes, however i think it has to do with the seat more than anything. the 456 is a high bolstered seat the Maser is not. thats where the problem is. if the 456 has a different seat option, maybe something less bolstered then it would work less the pedal issue.
    the Maser seats are comfy compared to the 456 and footwell seems to be larger also.

i haven't tried any other F-car yet. but for now i need a 2+2 in few yrs (read 10) then a 2 seater would be fine, but i'm not sure what would fit. i didn't figure on the cars being that small inside. even my old M5 you couldn't sit behind me, the car i owned that worked was the 750iL only becouse of the long wheel base.
    curse these genes...

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

The only other F-car that I think would work for a giant such as yourself would be the 360 or the Maranello.

That's the advantage to being 5"10, 156lbs: it's perfect Ferrari dimensions!

As a Ferrari owner and die hard enthusiast, I would take the Maserati. I absolutely love that car for a daily driver. I could be a daily driver that no Ferrari could ever be because of three things:

1) not as much unwanted attention as a Ferrari so you can park it
    2) 4 year warranty
    3) lower service prices and faster services.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    yeah i'll have to agree the Maser is wining out here. well one day i'll get that F-car. Orange county Ferrari has a 73' Dino that has been restored nicely, what i'm trying to figure out is the asking price of 95k sounds high for a car with a sketchy past and limited info along with a restore job. is that decent considering? not interested in purchasing it just something i noticed. it is beautifull though.

for humor, as i now have been declared a giant, my wife is only 5'0" tall. we must look like a circus attraction. my son who just turned 1 is already 32"! more that half my wife's hight :) soon my son will be riding up front while the "little" lady sits in back. okay management is gona kill me for that one, time to go hide.

12. winston

winston Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    foothills
    Full Name:
    don
    The windows on my 99 456m were repaired by the dealer, f of sf for 800 dollars of which I paid half. I purchased the car two years ago. Now you may buy this car for 100 thousand, give or take. You may have 12 cylinder car that has depreciated a lot. If you wait you may buy for less. The Maser has more rear leg room and is easier to get in and out of the rear seats. The paint on the nose of the 456 is very prone to chips. Ouch. I have heard the Maser is not so reliable. I hope if you are not in a hurry, you may buy either for less tomorrow. The torque of the 456m is outstanding!
    Good luck.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    no hurry, i'll research a car adnaseum. purchase time will be around the end of the year. i'm just starting now.

already researched the 996 TT and decided against it.
    next up
    Maser vs. 456M

the 456 isn't looking so good right now...

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Have you driven the Maser yet? I'll tell you what, if you really want to be impressed, drive a 360 coupe and then get behind the wheel of the Maserati. It is such a great car. I love Ferraris but I think that would take the Maserati over the 456 for a driver. I wouldn't take it over any of the modern two seaters: i.e. F355, 360, or 550 but it makes such a great 2+2 that I would take it over the 456.

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would try a 456GT. I am 6'4, 230, and I fit in the 456GT fine. In fact, I move the seat forward a bit.

I have heard that the 456GT has more room for taller drivers, so you might want to consider it. And, IMO the 456GT looks better than the 456M.

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think the 456GT looks better too. It's worth a try - let us know if you fit!

17. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    so the 456GT is dimensionally different from the 456MGTA? and for clarification were any GT's non-M built from 97' on? i had heard that they stoped production for 96' based on the problems of the 95' model, true/false?
    just trying to cut through the BS. I have driven the Maser and it was great thats why i had considered it first, haven't driven the 456 yet becouse i haven't found a GT model.

even though i stand at 6'5" most all my height comes from long legs, so in the effort to fit i have a hard time reaching the steering wheel. is the steering wheel adjustable on the 456? i forgot to check.

i'll keep checking...

18. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Shaq had his rear seats removed so the front seat could go back further :) Of course, that kind of defeats the purpose of the 2+2... :)

19. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Get the 456M GT you will be a happy man, forget others

20. W00dEar

W00dEar F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 24, 2004
    LI, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think Ferrari purposely made the Maserati blend and unattractive. Ok I know beauty is in the eye's of beholder, but I personally will not buy a Maserati cuz it doesn't remotely look good. It should not be, if it is exotic look like a F360, it is be taking sales away from it, same look with 90% performance at 1/3 of price.

21. Dan_London

Dan_London Karting

Mar 2, 2004
    Sussex, UK
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Scott - yeah I guess you might find it a bit cramped given your dimensions, though the 456 has to have one of the largest cabs of any Ferrari. I'm a BB too, but am 5'9", 165lbs and have a 31" inside leg, so I fit perfectly :). One of the few times I feel a decent height is when I go to Italy!

Definitely drive a 456GT - the seats are an entirely different design and I think the recent Forza 456 buyers guide makes a comment about the M being less capable of accomodating taller drivers. The 6'4" reviewer says something about getting the runners put back if the test car were his.

I can email the Forza guide to you if you like.

Cheers,
    Ittybitty Dan of Lilliput

22. Davey S1

Davey S1 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Cardiff, Wales
    Full Name:
    David
    Scott if you are that size and your son is heading in the same direction I suggest you try something with a little more room -

Like a Humvee!

23. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    don't make me comment on the Humvee. Dan_London thanks for the offer, I do have the Forza issue of the buyers guide. i thought he ment 456's in general, but if it's the "M" with the problem then I'm a little happier.

I may be a big guy but i really don't like big cars or trucks, they can't seem to handle high speed manuvers :) one of the daily beaters is the new Explorer and man i can't stand that pile. anything over 75mph and it shudders like the mellinium falcon, i'm waiting for a door panel or the hood to come flying off. first chance i get it's gone, for some reason "management" likes that it'll haul stuff (Nordy bags mostly). good thing she drives it more than me.

24. ForzaMe

ForzaMe Rookie

Mar 8, 2004
    It's not as good looking as a 360, but if you pick the right color the Maserati can look pretty damn good. Ferrari is the more dramatically styled and high performance product line. Maserati is more of an Italian BMW/MB- so the design is more understated and leans toward more luxury and comfort. So it's a bit difficult to compare a Maserati GT coupe to a Ferrari sportscar. The only Ferrari that the Maserati could compete with is the 456/612. But there's such a huge price difference, so it attracts different buyers.

And if you can't quite afford a Ferrari, a Maserati is a pretty good deal- it's cheaper, you get the 3yr warranty, a Ferrari-developed engine, the f1 shifter (if you prefer it), and you may not totally agree with the looks, but park a one next to a BMW or MB coupe, and the Maserati will get all the attention.

25. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Is it just me?? I think the back of Maser, looked like someone use a chainsaw cutting it in half??