Just Attended the Bahrain Grand Prix | FerrariChat

Just Attended the Bahrain Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 3omar, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    My ears are still ringing with the glorious sound of the 3.0-liter V10s and gear shifting that sounds like shots being fired!!! And, oh, the smell of those cars zipping past . . .

Schumacher is absolutely unstoppable at this point. It looks like his 7th title is coming along smoothly.

All this recent talk of Ferrari struggling in the future, etc., underestimates the prestige and publicity derived from Formula 1 racing. I personally witnessed thousands of fans queuing at the Ferrari gift shop for hours under the blazing desert sun to buy exorbitantly priced merchandise with the Ferrari logo on it (myself included!).

Buying the cars is pretty much subject to the same phenomenon as buying the merchandise.

In my view, Lamborghini and Ferrari really are the only remaining limited-volume sports car manufacturers in the world today. But what Ferrari is doing in Formula 1 (even if they encounter another uncompetitive spell similar to the ‘80s or ‘90s), is what sets it apart from Lamborghini (Allan: don’t flame me, I am new here :)).

As a Porsche owner and member of several P-car discussion boards, I can definitely tell you that getting out of racing was a major factor in the “downgrading” of Porsche’s prestige to current (still adequate but not spectacular) levels.

2. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    It has been a very convincing start to the season, however let's hold off on giving Schumacher the WDC just yet. In a series of fly away races, you don't see much change in the relative order of the teams. Once they get back to the continent things can change quite drastically.

I think you are far to kind to Lamborghini. They are hardly present in motor sports at all, never mind having any success. What kind of sports car company doesn't race?

3. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Omar welcome to the site. I went to my first GP at silverstone last summer, and it was awesome! The sounds and sights were amazing. Like you I also spent more money than I should have done. But hey it Ferrari merchendise!

As a previous Porsche owner myself i'll say one thing. Take the step and get yourself a Ferrari. Porsche's are fab cars, but they are not special enough. Every drive in a Ferrari is an event. My car has been in garage since the weekend for a cambelt change and im picking it up today. Boy am i excited! Never felt that way about my Porsche.

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Omar,

welcome to the board. May I invite you over to the Racing section for a "debriefing" on the GP?

Did you take any pictures by any chance? So far we got none from Bahrain.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's why I buy from ************! No waiting in the sun!

(Wearing signed Schumi team hat as he happily types away.....)

Welcome to the site, bro!

6. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Omar,
    How was the town? Is it worth going to? How long did you stay? Was it crowded? DETAILS!!!!! PLEASE

7. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    The town is small and pleasant, its quite green for a desert area with sidewalks lined with roses and palm trees, etc. The people are very warm and friendly and (surprisingly for an inaugural event of this size), the Grand Prix was extremely well organized, be it the roads to and from the circuit or the airport, etc.

Sadly, I couldn’t find a single hotel room in the country (even though I had bought the tickets last October and had been looking for hotel rooms since!). All 5-star, 4-star and 3-star hotels were fully booked for the Grand Prix weekend since last fall, as were all furnished apartments, etc. In fact, hotels in neighboring countries were also fully booked for the entire weekend with dozens of charter flights taking people in and out daily!

Since I live in Kuwait (an hour’s flight from Bahrain), I opted to fly to Bahrain in the mornings and out in the evenings back to Kuwait for all 3 days, which was quite hectic, but well worth it.

On race day, I estimate the circuit (capacity 45,000) to have had a seat occupancy rate of over 95%. And the dominant color was (of course) red :).

8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    One day I will go. Thank you for your imput.

9. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    I have always dreamed of owning a Ferrari, ever since I was a kid. However, I am concerned about reliability as a daily driver. I drive my Porsche to work everyday and I can’t imagine owning a Ferrari and driving something else everyday. I just wouldn’t be able to do it!

So that was the major factor in my decision to buy a Porsche rather than a Ferrari.

How is reliability been in your experience?

10. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    I've heard alot of good stories about 456's and 550's/575M's being used very successfully as daily drivers. Certainly more so than the mid engined 3xx cars.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What Admiral Thrawn said & I also wish to echo "Welcome to F-Chat."

12. 3omar

3omar Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    United States
    Full Name:
    Omar
    Thank you all very much for your warm welcome.

13. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    I know what you mean, but as long as you buy the right car it will be reliable. I've only had my car for one month, and so far no problems. I think like any car if you do not drive it, it will give you problems. But if you use it regularly it will be fine. I used to own a toyota that I used to use all the time. Then I stopped using it, and only drove it once a month. Even that car became unreliable.

One of the guys in the UK has a friend who has a 456 from new. He's done over 100K miles on the car, and uses the car every day. He's running on the same engine and gearbox. Apart from usual service costs he has had no unusual expense. Goes to show that these cars are reliable, but it depends on how you treat them.

Adnaan