Suspension rebuild is done !!!! | FerrariChat

Suspension rebuild is done !!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Bob308GTS, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    I finished my suspension rebuild last Saturday on my 79 308, replaced all inner and most of the sway bushings with ES parts, replaced worn parts in the rear outer bushings, new Konis, new ball joints, new tie rod ends, new rack boots, new rear stub axle bearings, new CV boots, cleaned and repacked CV joints and front bearings. Starting off with same amount of alignment shims, side to side, front and rear with 1mm less on forward rear fork, I took it out around the block to start settling things in, tracked straight and felt tight. Got back home to start the rough in on the alignment, shimmed the floor to level it and drove the car in, with an elec level checked and adjusted camber front and rear, with 2 pieces of 3/4” pipe and string checked and adjusted toe front and rear, ended with .4 neg. camber front, 1.0 neg. camber rear, 2mm toe in front and 3mm toe in rear. Drove it about 40 miles last night to settle things in more and just to finally drive it this year, handles very nice, feels much tighter than before and just a little stiffer on ride. Total parts cost around $2500, will recheck alignment at home this weekend then put it on a real rack to see how close my “ poorboy “ setup was. A project well worth the effort!!!

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Way to go Bob!

"will recheck alignment at home this weekend then put it on a real rack to see how close my “ poorboy “ setup was"

It always makes me feel good when I have only missed it by very little.
    and of course there is always the time when the shop says... Wow it was way out,
    my usual reply, hey don't know what the bastard who did this suspension was thinking. ;)