Best Laser Printer for $100 - $150 | FerrariChat

Best Laser Printer for $100 - $150

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by SefacHotRodder, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've been printing so much stuff lately, my HP deskjet 930 has been going through ink like mad. I got a color cartridge about 2 months ago and its done already. I want to get a laser printer for text and un-important color stuff. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    IIRC, I bought a Samsung ML-1250 ~ two years ago, maybe less, for 189. toner is ~$70 though. if you want it cheaper than 150, you'll sacrifice quality, even for text printing, unless you go used.

3. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    that was actually one i was looking at. I found it for $109

4. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    70 is nothing. The extra large hp inkjet cartridges for mine (you need the big ones or you run out in a few weeks like i did) are about $80

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    ahhh, it's come down in price quite a bit.

personal opinion, I really dig it. if it's only 109, go for it. try to get a remanufactured toner cartridge though. 70 bucks at fry's is ridiculous. I'm not doing that again.

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I've bought hundreds of printers back when I used to work in IT.

I have been sorely disappointed in quality on HP's lately, as well as Epson. I did a lot of research before I picked up a Brother HL-1440 a couple of years ago. This printer is a workhorse! $199 back then, and I have run at LEAST 20,000 pages through it, and I think it jammed ONCE on a sheet that was kinda ruffled on the corner to begin with.

Check out NewEgg.com for a good deal. They have the Brother HL-5040 (newer and higher-end model of mine I guess) for $198. The cartridges for mine are $49 for regular or $69 for "high capacity" at Staples. You can get them online for $39 and $59 respectively, maybe a few bucks less for refurbs.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    After living with 5 generations of HP printers, the HP ones I got the previous year, were just plain crap. I switched to a Cannon bubblejet and never looked back.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I want to second the Brother laser printer series. I've owned one for a couple of years, great printer.

The only consideration is that stock, they don't have much memory, so upgrading that is useful (and cheap).

9. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  10. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    sorry to drag up an old thread, but i just thought i'd let you know i got a Brother HL-5140. I looked at that and HL -144. The 5140 was 30 dollars more @ Staples ($200). So i went for it. I haven't printed much, but so far it appears to be pretty good.

Thanks for the recomendation

11. cochise

cochise Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Full Name:
    Dempsey Chavis
    to keep the thread going ...
    I'll be working from home soon - and will need a primarily text only printer capable of 10 - 20 inches worth of output per month . Any suggestions ?
    Will be used only for text, no pictures, color etc .

thanks

PS ..would like to keep initial costs under $500

12. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    go for the one i got :D

13. true

true Karting

Jun 5, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Instead of making another printer thread, I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a laser printer/fax. I've been doing a lot of research and seem to keep leaning back towards the Brother MFC-9700. I have read a lot about the decline in HP quality, and Canon's lack of good design, and Lexmark's poor track record and special ink supplies.

Seems to have gotten good reviews, only disadvantage I can find is that it has 14.4 fax, vs 33.6. That is really unfortunate as I will be doing a lot of faxing, but I'm not sure if that will really be noticeable. Any recommendations for a home office print/fax with a max of around $400, must be laser. Thanks

Nick