Annoying squeak found! | FerrariChat

Annoying squeak found!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by f355spider, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Have been trying to track down an annoying squeak from behind my dash for about a month...the squeak would come when going over a gentle bump. If if was a longish one, you would hear the squeak on "compression" and "rebound". I hunted all over the inside of the car, spraying silicone spray on all the door and targa top gaskets, shift lever, clutch linkage, clutch cable, etc, etc. I was getting frustrated, and found little left it could be.....then I thought, what about the suspension bushings? Sound was coming from what appeared to be right behind the dash, not outside the car...but.....so I jacked up the right front of the car, and sprayed silicone spray on the top upper bushings of both the A-arm and shock mount. Quiet! Fixed.

Next oil change, I will spray ALL of them, just for kicks, including the sway bar bushings.

2. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Dave,

I had the same thing . Squirting silicone on all the suspension bushings did the trick.

Tom

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Thanks for the tip of the day!

? for those who've done this before: While the likelihood is hi-hi-hi that it won't do any harm of it's own to plastics, rubber, metal, etc., how does (your brand here) silicone handle deterioration from solvents or oils?

Have you needed reapplications, say - suspension near engine/trans? Is this a saviour (for lack of a better term) to vintage rides?

4. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Silicone sprays are 5-10 % silicone fluid and the rest is solvent. The solvent is only there to act as a carrier. If you were to apply 100 % silicone fluid, you would apply too much.

Silicone fluids will only swell bushings, seals, etc. made from silicone rubber. Even then they won't deteriorate anything. Just make it swell. Suspension bushings are not made from silicone rubber , so no need to worry.

Hope this helps.

Tom