Driving to Indy? | FerrariChat

Driving to Indy?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    So, I'm thinking about the USGP.

I have a hotel room reserved already, and was thinking of flying up.

Then I realized that it's only 950 miles up there. 1900 roughly round trip.

I've done it before in a Cadillac. Is it a feasible trip in a 328?

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think it's very doable and would be very fun, just much more expensive. Hint that FCA 2005 is probably going to be in association with the Indy weekend, now that may be the one time to drive up.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Go for it, nothing like a Ferrari road trip. But plan on travelling light and stopping every 2 hours.

4. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Tillman, what do you plan to do IF your car started acting up on the road? Does Ferrari have rescue service like M-B, Chevy?? (just kidding) Since I am not inclined mechanically, this is my fear for talking Ferrari to long trip.
    What is your prevention/preparation for this matter?

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Plan? I know not this strange word of yours......

Basically, just clear a little room on a credit card and hope for the best. Worst comes to worst, I know people with trailers and I own a pickup :D

6. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I was in boyscouts since 6, so "alway be prepared" is the motto. Of course there are many we cannot prepare, but thinking you are prepared gives you peace of mind, hehehe.

Tillman, you ARE going to Norwood or whoever to check the car before the trip though, right?

7. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    Tillman,

Take it! I used to live in El Paso and all my friends asked me to bring my car there for a weekend. I had some work with a client there so I had it transported there and then I drove it back. It was wonderful!

Just a thought, does anyone want to make it a group road trip? Would it be to late to get tickets, etc.?

Nick

8. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Yep I would agree with Yoshi. Have the car checked out before you leave. If everything checks out you can at least have some reassurance that you will have a "uneventful" trip.

That being said we have taken several cross country trips in the 365 without major issue and it's many years older than your 328.

Rodney

9. TurboTodd

TurboTodd Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Brentwood, TN
    Tickets are still available. I'm flying in Saturday, flying out Sunday night.

Our tickets are in Section H19 row F. Right at Turn 1, 6 rows up..

TT

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The "plan?" statement was a joke. Naturally I'll have it looked over. I'm not too worried about it, though, as it's been a pretty reliable car (when it's not on fire :D)

I don't have tickets yet, but based on my experiences at the Brickyard it probably won't be too hard to get one at the event. Or, I could contact FCA Indiana, as they have a block of them.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hmmm, when is Indy this year, wheels turning....

12. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    The race is on June 20....

13. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    I bought my tickets this week, after shuffling my schedule in order to attend the race. There are tix still available...

14. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The USGP is June 20. I have the 15th through the 23rd off, wanted to be up that way on Friday for practices etc. I figured that the first day would get up to Springfield MO, then across to IN on the second day. I was thinking that the way back could be through Nashville/Memphis/Little Rock

15. Maximo_Tifoso

Maximo_Tifoso Karting

Jan 8, 2004
    Houston TX
    Try to get there by Thursday morning to be able to attend the pit walkabout.

16. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Tillman, whether you fly or drive, I hope you get the opportunity to go (not sure if you've been to a GP). There's absolutely nothing like the screaming sound of F1 engines at 19K RPM... vs 9K RPM in NASCAR. It'll give you the chills. I've been to the Indy 500 but haven't been to the USGP yet.. hope to make that trip in the next couple of years!

17. Nick R

Nick R Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Nick R
    So is anyone interested in getting a group of Ferraris driving to Indy?

18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Maybe. I'm still not 100% sure I'm going, but a little company would be cool.

Fair warning, I tend to travel on the cheap, so I was planning on Motel 6 type accomodations at night. I also tend to follow signs for local tourist traps, so I'm not terribly efficient at covering ground or sticking to an agenda :D If you are good with that, let's talk at the next carting event, lunch, whatever.