Speeding very costly these days. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Speeding very costly these days.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by madturk, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #26 tbakowsky, Nov 21, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    You know most of all, you all act like 121mph. is such an incredable speed or something. Why can't just admit it, you drive a Ferrari and when you see a long empty stretch you will do it. Probably much more then 121mph.

3. Tpup

Tpup Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    Roy
    Yep, I go 121 on a regular basis, at Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Barber Motorsport Park, Little Talladega, Roebling Road, etc... Never on a public road; since I was 25 anyway:)

Roy

4. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I don't beleive you.

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I nearly had the same problem driving my rocket powered 1967 Chevy Impala out in Arizona a few years ago. Pulled out onto an isolated section of highway in the desert, ignited the JATO unit, and off I went. I achieved liftoff speed about 225 MPH, then continued to accelerate and gain altitude rapidly. Unfortunately, I was approaching the side of a mountain, and thinking quickly, I bailed out, leaving the Impala to splatter itself into the side of the mountain in a giant fireball. After drifing to the ground, I hitchhiked back home successfully avoiding the cops. You probably read about my adventure on the internet somewhere!

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #31 tbakowsky, Nov 21, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. ART360

ART360 Guest

When I made the comments about new license, etc. I was being sarcastic. 180mph on public roads will, sooner or later, get someone killed. The guy whose battery went dead, who stopped in the slow lane, at that speed, at night, you'll never seen him, might not even know you're dead, along with him, and everyone one in his car, and yours.

Going that fast is most definitely a rush. However, unless you're prepared to be comfortable with killing someone, the track is the only place you should go that quickly.

100mph on the freeway at night is another story. Given that the freeways are designed for 75 - 80mph, 100 with a good car isn't dangerous, stupid maybe, not dangerous.

Think about what you're doing. Don't be responsible for the death of someone else.

Art

8. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I have to vote with Martin. We all love to drive fast -- that's why we puchase f-cars. But, do it on the track.

Or, get an airplane. I noticed that I really just don't drive fast now that I fly regularly. And, the best part of it -- no tickets. The speed limit around controlled airports is 200. Even you could live with that.

9. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I too used to drive like someone possessed and had my share of tickets. But, i guess a combination of things led me to slow it down on public roads, including the consequences (if something went terribly wrong). There is a sort of dope-fiend rush to it, i know, that is almost irresistible, and defies any rational thought of the consequences (even if only the legal consequences) when you see the stretch of road, you are behind the wheel, feel in control, start pushing it, etc. Talking about consequences is like telling a cigarette smoker to think about the odds; its not likely to change his behavior until he sees his own personal demon in the mirror.

I'm curious to know what kind of reaction you expected from the majority on this board?

The fact that you don't get much support, even from a bunch of people who are devoted to fast street cars, might tell you something. You have concluded that they are lying and simply want to be holier than thou. But what if most of them have reached a point where they have decided the thrill is not worth the risk (to themselves, to others, whatever)?

Is it possible that you are wrong?

Or is it more likely that you will continue to speed because even this signifies nothing?
    Does the fact that it will take something dramatically worse to slow you down give you the shivers?

10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    hey madturk sorry to hear about your situation. A friend of mine recently got caught doing 122 in a 65 here in jersey, but he only lost his license for 30 days and only got a 5 pt speeding ticket cause he knew someone on the police force. He also did it with 4 or 5 passengers in the car. I can't believe the judge was so hard on you, if you can try to appeal it or something, or better yet get a foreign license. I'm trying to do that now because my grandparents have a home in england, so i can use that license if i ever get nabbed here at home. good luck, hope something works out.

11. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i really doubt any type of detector or jammer would have made a difference at that speed.

12. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Isn't this the guy who had the motorcycle jockey on here looking for him for a few weeks.. where every thread turned into a pissing match with the biker trying to find "that 355 in Atlanta that passed me at 150mph..." Then the owner miraculously creates an account a few days later... then a week later his car burns up at a gas station...??? And now in the 355 burnout video thread, he posted today that his car was in the shop and that when he gets it back, he'll do a video with burnouts and top speed runs in traffic.. I don't wanna turn into another Matlock Lemus net detective, but what gives?

-R

13. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Hey Robin, I was thinkin the same thing. Hmmm

14. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    The judge must have been in a charitable mood. I cant believe you didnt get a harsher punishment

15. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Madturk,

The solution is simple. Move to Germany.

No speedlimit, and what is better, traffic is used to fast cars, everyone is driving on the right side of the road and slower traffic uses their mirrors.

Even without the speed limit, Germany has less deaths per 100.000 miles of highway than the US.

I have driven regularly (way) above 120 miles/h (200km/h) in Germany and that is not particularly fast. People will pass you untill you are driving around 155mph (all German build cars are limited at 155mph except for Porsche)

However, 120 mph is totally nuts in US traffic, where nobody uses their rearview mirror.

Rijk

16. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Robin,

My exact thoughts ever since he began posting here, too much of a coincidence, sounds just like Yoshi the Organ Donor bike rider who claimed the same high speed runs.

I do believe his story here though but it was in a bike not a Ferrari.

I do alot of road work late at night on highways and see idiots all the time speeding in construction zones and regular areas we use sweepers, sooner or later they will hit something very big and heavy like one of my trucks and it will take a mop and water hose to clean them up off the road.

17. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    madturk,

whatever the case was, i just hope that you will always drive safely when other people are around and keep in mind that you can seriously harm or kill someone by taking risks on public roads. i know there are times when i have had the urge to open it up, but i try to keep in mind that i wouldnt want someone driving crazily around one of my loved ones.

ernie

18. robin1

robin1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Robin Masters
    Saw a 360 at FOA about six weeks ago that was burnt and had a license plate "MADTURK".

Unfortunately, I think this guy really is as much of an assclown as he admits.

121 on a straightaway for a brief moment is probably not worth as much as you have been through, but I hope you learn something, soon please.

19. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Road Atlanta is a nearby track. Why not do your speeding there where you can do it in something other than a straight line. Porsche and BMW have 7 track events during the year. The first is in January, PCA.

Sooner or later you're going to injure someone. If that were to happen, hopefully it would be you and not some innocent.

20. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    ze_shark had a good post in speeding on public roads.

US 149 deaths per year per million inhabitants
    Germany 90 deaths per year per million inhabitants

Think about that

Rijk

21. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    That's odd, because 4-5 weeks ago he said his 355 burned to the ground at a gas station in Florida. Ah well..

-R

22. shelbee

shelbee Guest

How about getting an international driver's license and when you get pulled over, speak little and broken English with the cop with heavy thick accent???

23. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    The car did burn, got the ticket before it got burned, went to court last thursday, the car will be all fixed in about 2 weeks. Now as far as doing 121mph late at night (true fublic highway) when there was absolutly no one around on a highway that I know very well, I think you guys are nuts. For saying things like you are gonna kill someone. I am not saying that I was driving 121 on I285 where there is traffic, and people around. I am sorry but 2:00 AM beetween Woodstock and Canton there is nothing there other then you and lately a pig. You are in the middle of no where in a highway. No lights or anything like that.

24. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Dr: Until he arrests you, runs your prints, and finds out you're local....

--Dan

25. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I am not going anywhere!