Garage or Pole barn?? | FerrariChat

Garage or Pole barn??

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by spidr, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Need some storage space :) It's not going to be an elobarate setup with lifts and bullet proof windows multi-level ect. But, for the money I can get a larger pole barn than a garage. It will be detachted. I can just plant some bushes and put some lights around it and it should look Okay and there seem to be plenty of colors. Any ideas here??

2. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    spidr:

Where abouts are you located? I would advise against the poles as they take up much too much room that could be used for a work area. Use steel beams instead. I know a gentlemen who can build you a great garage/work area if you are interested. Here is a picture of my shop...

[​IMG]

50x30- two lifts, heat, water, lights and looks right at home next to our Georgian colonial house. Let me know if you are interested.

3. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

TCM - that looks so impressive! Can we see your interior setup too please?

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    GregC:

Thanks for the compliments. I have attached two pictures of the interior (soory they are so large). Inside is all rough cut shiplap and really finished off the inside nicely. If you look closely, you should be able to see the steel beams in the ceiling.

5. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Another one...

6. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Love the top photo, looks like a magazine shot. Funny to see a thread like this where we ignore the beautiful cars to talk about the beautiful garage.

Perhaps this is obvious, but my only advice would be to do it right the first time. Even if you don't want to trim it out right now, I'd put in a sturdy floor, rough in the plumbing, etc to give you infrastructure to improve on. After we built our house, I was sick of construction and had a fine but relatively bare bones "barn" built - I wish I had devoted a bit more time and funds to it, because it will be hard and expensive to turn it into a proper shop should I decide to do so.

Edit - I also considered a pole barn, but rejected it because the poles seemed like they'd be in the way.

7. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    TCM, only one thing to say WOW! We just bought (2 hours ago) 5 ac in S.C. to put our collection, shop, office and son on. We looked into a pole barn and the metal building route, but after seeing yours it is back to the drawing boards.
    Very well done
    Take Care
    George P.

8. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    The more I look at the photos, the more I see to like. The stair design is great, takes up very little floor space tucked into the corner like that. Gotta love the Pepsi machine - hope you're charging at least a buck fifty.

9. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Thanks for the compliments guys. If anyone is even thinking of building a barn like this, feel free to pm me. The gentleman who built mine is specifically focused on building barns of this nature and is willing to travel. It is not much money at all considering what other structures might cost to build.

WCH:

The Pepsi machine acts a a secondary income for me. All our clients have to get something to drink while waiting for their cars;).