360 vs M3 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 vs M3

Discussion in '360/430' started by DBR328&330, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Actually, BMW was responsible enough to extend the warranty on all 2001 - 2003 M3's to 6yrs/100k miles.

Gary

2. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Teak360,

When I cut an artery, I bleed Rosso Corsa. If I cut a vein, then Rosso Rubino. If you gave me an oxygen mask, then Rosso Scuderia. But when I die it will either be Rosso Monza or Rosso Chiaro!

3. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    M-man,
    Agree.

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I own a 360 and an M3, and love them both. But there is no comparison in my mind. But rather than give my story, I thought I'd quote the biggest BMW bigots in the US...

The July 2001 issue of the Roundel (BMW CCA's magazine) had a showdown between the new E46 M3, the 911, and the AMG CLK 55... and they threw in the 360. The article strangely never mentions the 360, though... instead, they only mention it in a sidebar, which I quote:

Sports Car Perfection, Thy Name is Modena

You can buy three M3s or two 911s for the price of a Ferrari 360 Modena and have a fair chunk of change left over. For all that money, the Ferrari will only give you about a half-second quicker 0-60 time, so is it really worth it? In a word: yes. After driving the 360 Modena back-to-back with the other three cars in our group, we realized why Ferraris are so special and so coveted. Comments from our drivers were nothing if not consistent: "Every time I tried to make a comparison with the other cars, I just kept coming up with, 'There is no comparison,'" says Artie Heissenbuttel. "The Ferrari is on another plane. In handling, braking, acceleration, and even comfort and ergonomics, the 360 Modena is way ahead of the others."

Jonas Musson concurs. "The Ferrari out-shifted, out-braked, and simply out-performed all of the other cars that I have driven," he says. "This machine is a true work of art and excited every one of my senses while I drove it."

Brian Morgan made it unanimous. "The 360 Modena is in another league altogether. It responds with immediacy and feels like an extension of your central nervous system. If money is no object, there's no question that the Prancing Horse is the winner."

What is it that makes the Ferrari so special? More than any other car on the market today, it has a soul firmly planted somewhere in all of its metal, rubber and glass. While the other cars certainly possess this intangible quality to a certain degree, the 360 Modena embodies it in all of its parts.

Klaus Schnitzer summed it up in three words: "I'm in love."

5. robin1

robin1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Robin Masters
    Realizing that it's not a fair comparison, I drove a 328 5-sp today, then drove a Mondial.

Even though the Ferrari was 12 years older, it kicked the BMW in every emotional sense. Especially sounds and steering feel.

BMW's are nice for mass-produced cars. Like Hondas with a little better engineering.

6. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I think the M3 is a fantastic sports coupe value. If they had a 4 door version, I would have one in my garage, as well as my 360.

With that said, there were several well-driven M3's in the advanced run group at the Ferrari Club track day at Thunderhill today. Although I think they performed well, I caught and passed them on the track without difficulty, and was never caught or passed by an M3. I had the same experience at Laguna a few months back. Some M3's had brake upgrades, stickier tires than I do, and who knows what else done by Dinen to them. Despite this, I felt that I could comfortably catch them in my stock 360.

Great car, but the 360 is better. Probably not 3 x better, but better to me.