TR water pump inner seal removal...? | FerrariChat

TR water pump inner seal removal...?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by carguy, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I am rebuilding my TR's water pump and have it apart. The last thing to remove is the inner seal. It is nearly impossible to get a clear shot at it. Does anyone out there have any tips or tricks they would care to share with me on getting this seal out?

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

You will need to get some sort of punch/chisel type object. Try to get under the small flange and work around it until it is loose,but be very careful not to chip away the aluminum!!!

3. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    #3 JIMBO, Apr 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just finished a 30K service on my 512TR - at home. I changed the cam belts, tensioner bearings, clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, all the hoses on the engine and in the engine compartment, cam seals, front seal, rear main seal and adjusted all 48 valves. The engine and entire exhaust was detailed. I would rather do it all again than fool with the stupid water pump seal. What a pain. You have to carefully peel down the outer aluminum flange and then pull/chip out the inner sleeve all the while being careful not to even nick the housing or it's all over. No bonus for the bonehead who designed this. Good luck.

I will try to upload some pics. I don't have any of the actual water pump seal removal/install. I let my friend Luciano, a former Ferrari F1 mechanic, handle that. Good luck.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Hi Carguy
    Just did my water pump on my 87 TR. That seal you are talking about was a real pain, but it does come out with a little force. I'll have to check my camera when I get home I might have some pictures of the whole thing. Make sure you get the right seal after to replace it. The dealer gave me a replacement number to the one shown in the parts manual he said they didn't make that number any more. Well I assembled the whole thing and put the engine back in the car, filled the antifreeze up and it leaked all over. I thought I did something wrong when I assembled it. I called a different dealer and told him the problem he said that the replacement number didn't work unless you replaced the complete water pump, shaft and all. He had the original number part I needed. Picked that up and pulled the engine out again to do it all over again. This time it worked perfect. No Leaks.

Note: To put that seal on I just used a piece of pipe. It fit perfectly over the seal and rested up against the flange. Used a rubber mallet and taped it in. Do forget the silicon.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You helped me plenty of times. I'm glade I can help.
    Lou

5. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow....I'm very greatful for all the replies.....Thank You to everyone for lending a hand.....I really can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I did finally manage to get the inner seal out. I picked away at it and removed little pieces. Finally I was able to get some needle-nose vice grips in there and grab part of the inner diameter....a big tug and nothing but a small piece came out. One more try...I grabbed it again, and with a twisting action...kinda like opening a can of corned beef....it sucked the outer diameter inwards and I was able to slide the seal out. I let out a cheer and then had to run out on a family errand. In removing the seals I may have put some scratches into the aluminum surroundings....not sure yet as I haven't had time to look. One mechanic told me that my "game is over" and that I'm doomed to have a leak, either internal or external, or both. I hope this isn't the case. It seems that a sealer could take care of the outer diameter sealing, and since the pump shaft collar slides off and is perfect, there shouldn't be any problems with that....I hope anyway. I must say whoever thought up this pump design should be shot.

Have any of you experienced the possible scratches I fear I may have caused? If so...did it cause leakage?

Lastly...Thanks Lou.....nice to hear from you!

6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Note: To put that seal on I just used a piece of pipe. It fit perfectly over the seal and rested up against the flange. Used a rubber mallet and taped it in. Do forget the silicon.

Dear Carguy:

I have heard the same thing: "Scratch the housing and get a leak". We installed my water pump seal with a special tool machined for just this purpose. They go in easier than they come out.

7. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #7 2mmuch, Apr 7, 2004
    Hi Jeff
    It was my first water pump rebuild and there was a couple of scratchs I made on the edge while tring to remove the main seal. The new seal I put in had a thin layer of sealiant around the outside which tells me diameter is what seals not the flange area. When I assembled the news seal the Ferrari dealer told me to put a little extra around the flange and when it was installed to wipe what ever pushed out. Also put some silicon around the two nuts which hold the water pump to the engine. It's been about a month now and there isn't a dot of coolant any where. My oil checks fine, no coolant on the floor of my garage and my car has never ran better. Good luke Jeff. But I think a couple of scratchs isn't the end of the world. Here is a couple of pictures.
    Lou

8. 2mmuch

2mmuch Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    #8 2mmuch, Apr 7, 2004
  9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Wow Lou those are great pictures...Thank You for easing my worries. It's times like this, when people lend a valuable hand, that you just can't put a price on this forum. It means a lot to me....and others too I'm sure.

I'll save this thread for future reference. If there's ever anything I can do in return just let me know.

Sincerely; Jeff