Boxer's and emission testing | FerrariChat

Boxer's and emission testing

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tjacoby, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I'm in the market for a Boxer, but with all cars available out of province/country, I could sure use some help with some emissions background;

1. I'm hearing it'***** and miss to get a carb Boxer through our version of emissions in BC (even with "professional" assistance, anyone have any experience with BB's and emission testing? Are these standards below "tough" or light compared to California/BAR for instance?

2. Anyone have documentation on what was involved to satisfy emission requirements for importing to NA? Beyond Cat's, of course - but were their other changes such as compression, carbs/injectors, intake?

3. Is it even possible for professional PPI's to give a quality pass/fail with a static (non-dyno) test?

The AirCare standards for a 1979 passenger car with a curb weight of 1717 kg., and an engine displacement of 5.0 litres are as follows (similiar for BBi's):

Driving Mode HC Standard: 188 parts per million
    Driving Mode CO Standard: 1.21 percent
    Driving Mode NOx Standard: 1785 parts per million
    Idle Mode HC Standard: 359 parts per million
    Idle Mode CO Standard: 4.05 percent

All BB's and most TR's I've seen here are run under Collector plates, but where's the fun in that? Any and all help very much appreciated!

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Tom
    I can't speak for BC, but here in Illinois, most people run carb'd boxers on a plate which exempts them from emissions testing. While restrictive in theory, (e.g., too and fro car shows), unless it is a car you intend to commute to work in, I am told the implications for other road use in reality are negligible.
    Philip

3. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Thx Phillip, I was hoping to use it for work. I keep very flexible hours, have some great roads to drive "for work" (Vancouver-Whistler for instance), and do about 95-98% of my driving for work. Collector plates to avoid emissions would remove most of the fun. Sounds like it may be unreasonable to try and keep a carb BB under those circumstances :-(

4. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Wow - is this a standard right across the Provence? Here in New York, we have a different set of rules for urban in rural counties. Thank goodness for the country house.

I think if there is a will, there is a way. I have heard of folks shutting down half the cylinders, running an alcohol mix, all kinds of things.

Good luck, running a Boxer in the Mts of BC would be glorious indeed!

5. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I'd call your local dealer and ask what they do? If it sounds like a real issue, what about a BBi?

6. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    Our local dealer is in between owners right now, although I do have a good independent mechanic I'm working with (busy season for him right now). Thought I might be able to get some facts and more experiences here first.

I can bring in a 25 yr old car from the US into Canada without a 6.1% import tax, and a carb. car is supposedly more entertaining than a FI. There are a few BBi's for sale up here in Canada, but not many BB's (none right now?), and nothing in province - so any deal's going to be long-distance right now. One BBi's in Detroit, another is in Toronto - long way to make a deal with an emission question mark.

Interesting ideas Il'inglese - these rules also only apply to "city registered" cars as well and this one would live in the city. Incorrect registration voids the insurance - and it's a government insurance company/monopoly :-( Although might be cheaper to buy that place on the Island first!

Any specifics and emission spec's met with the different "tricks"?

7. Il'inglese

Il'inglese Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    "Any specifics and emission spec's met with the different "tricks"?"

Tim: I do not have any specific numbers - but have heard all the stories. I would post on the Rocky Mountain Forum - I know Metro Denver has a tough emissions test. I bet those fellows have a few ideas.

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Tom
    You might call David Alexander at Continental Autosports on 630 655 3535. He's been down the emissions path with Boxers (and others) and will be able to give you some experiences and suggestions. He'll also give you his perspectives on the BB vs BBi issues -- he's pretty knowledgeable and a nice guy.
    Philip