Why add the shields to my 355? | FerrariChat

Why add the shields to my 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by DIGMAN52, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I kind of like the look of the 355 with the Scuderia Shields, but unsure if it is worth the trouble and expense. Any opinions out there? Are they hard to keep on? I know there are good and bad versions, who makes the best for the money?

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    What colour is youre car, the shields suit some colours but not all.

3. 512tr

512tr Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    montreal
    Full Name:
    tony
    If the car did not come with factory shields, leave it alone. Close up, the resin/vinyl look very tacky on SOME F-Cars. Everyone knows it's a Ferrari. Don't over do it.

My 2 cents.

4. shelbee

shelbee Guest

After market shields will never be the same as the factory installed since the fender is not made recessed. So my vote is to leave it the way it is

5. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    My avatar is my car, so it is red. I thought I should leave them off because it would clutter up the side view. Thanks for your input!

6. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004

7. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Go on put em on! The ones i have on my 355 spider i think look sharp, they only cost me £3.00 each from a official Ferrari dealer after seeing them on a few cars for sale in a Official ferrari dealer. If the factory did not want them on as an after thought why supply them to Dealers for sale."Tradionalists cant live with em, cant kill em". LOL

8. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I would also vote for leaving it off. I can not understand why people do it anyway - do they also sew big Armani logos onto their sportcoats? Ferrari spends no small amount of design time over badging.

Bringing me to one of my major pet-peeves - car dealers that screw on huge advertising plates onto the back of cars. In the southwest it is amazing how many people go along it it. The dealership plaque is often much more prominant than the model badging.

9. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I always said, that was how you could tell the difference between a man's car and a boy's car in a parking lot.
    The boy's car was the one with stickers on it.

10. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I actually go back and forth on them... So I bought a pair of custom collison (sp) (the Glass ones). I actually have 2 sets one with the black horse (in my avatar) and one with a chrome horse. They run about 250 per pair.

What I did is put 2 sided auto safe tape on them and can put them off or on as it fits my taste for the day. They do not fall off (or have not yet) and do not hurt the paint.

Best of both worlds...

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I follow this plan: When negotiating for the vehicle sales price, I make two offers, one if the plate stays on and one if the plate is removed. When ask why, I tell the salesman that his company needs to pay ME for that advertizing! Never actually bought a car with the plates still on for some reason.

12. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

LOL!!! I do the exact same thing!! It's a bleed off from my days as a pro bicycle racer. No one's name goes anywhere near me unless they pay for it.

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    I'm surpised how many of you don't like a shield. I like a shield so if mine don't have it, I'll put it on. Strange I didn't pay attention on this till now.

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Me too! In fact, in North Carolina we don't have a front license plate, so dealers use all that real-estate for HUGE advertising. On two recent purchases, I insisted the dealer remove the front plate brackets and install color-matched Euro-strips (or whatever BMW calls them). In the back, I told them if the car arrived with a logo plate, I would not accept delivery.

Clearly, I'm more psycho than most drivers. But if I wanted my car "wrapped", I'd ask Coca-Cola to sponsor me! Regarding the shields, everyone knows it's a Ferrari so there's no need to overdo it. Leave 'em off. Buy a cool keychain instead.

-Daniel

15. pflowers

pflowers Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Dothan, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Paul Flowers
    Here is a tip for those who are not sure if they want the fender shields on their car or maybe you only want them on some of the time. Buy a pair of the Ferrari OEM 3D resin fender shields. You can find them on Ebay for $20 a pair. Then go to Office Depot or a similar store and buy a package of the thin magnetic sheets that are used to put on the back of business cards. These sheets have one adhesive side. Stick the adhesive side of the fender shield to the adhesive side of the magnetic sheet ( it will thake two sheets to completely cover the back of the shield. Trim the excess magnetic sheet with a razor knife. You now have a fender shield that will magnetically adhear to the car and can be removed at any time without leaving any marks on the car. There may be some speed at which these will blow off but I have had mine on up to 90 mph without problems.

16. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Factory shields (the enamel ones) are awesome to look at (and to touch), and I often wish my car had them.

The plastic/resin ones look rubbish IMO, even as supplied by dealers. The colours on all the ones I have seen are washed out and when you see the real deal shields, you know why the plastic ones only cost 3 quid (it's because they're actually worth about 20p).

If I bought a car with resin shields, I'd have them removed.

Now, if only there was a cheap way to get the enamelled ones embossed. I'd consider sticking some on, but fear they'd be too thick and would protrude too much to look "just so" (which is why the factory emboss the wings!).

17. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    With all due respect to those that have aftermarket shields, I say don't do it.

18. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If done properly, you can install the factory shields. There is a shop here that does it. They start by embossing the fenders before attaching the shields so that one cannot tell the difference.

DL

19. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    OOHH! thats harsh dave, looked at you profile........are you one of the Ferrari chat dreamers. It will happen one day, you will get a ferrari.

20. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    The Mad Hatter
    I would say, "Go for it!" I really like the look of the shields on the front fenders.

Cheers,
    Travis

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Though your questions were wisely put in practical terms, I think you're leaning towards shields.
    However, by virtue of the questions themselves, well, they can't help but sound favored.

Kind of like the look of the 355 with the Scuderia Shields: Leaning towards shields
    Unsure if it is worth the trouble and expense: Leaning towards shields
    Any opinions out there? Yes or No, or the following questions?
    Are they hard to keep on? Leaning towards shields
    I know there are good and bad versions, who makes the best for the money? Leaning towards shields

Read between the lines of each and every experienced post. My opinion counts for nothing, as I am merely an observer.
    If you think the results will look fantastic - go for it.
    If not, leave it looking as fantastic as it already is.

It all depends on what you think adds to, or takes away from your experience with neither harm nor foul.

22. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    You know wax i love the way you word your text. I have this vision of you every time i read one of your answers. I vision you as a guy with a pony tail and a tailed beard with i waxed mustash, maybe a guy in a light cotton suit finnished of with a gold tiped walking cane with hidden spanish blade. I woul say you wear wing tiped snake skined boots. And your home....maybe full of books and strange and rear stuffed animals, oh and maybe writes with a quill. No offence is ment by my vision, but the way you express your self reminds me of my art teacher at school who answerd question the way you do, i still go and see him to day with my kids, fasanating man. I may be WAY of the mark with your self, but any way now you know.

23. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    On your car - definately! It looks great on red and silver IMHO. Not AS good on TDF Blue and black, but still pretty good ... again IMHO.

Ade

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #24 wax, Apr 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No offence taken! (Although I do wonder about the "rear" stuffed animals...) heeheehee

Actually - I do have a never-used-by-me Welsh (mustn't forget roots) walking stick by the door in case someone needs to Jackie-Chan a bad guy. Other than that, if I walked up to you, had a conversation, you'd never know I was the same person you just described. Not because of the mental visuals (which I'm flattered by - that you would take the time out of your schedule to paint such a descriptive picture with words), rather, when I'm just chatting it up, I speak much different than I write. It may be because I didn't read out loud, which is a good thing. In other words, I keep it simple without being hoity-toity.

More about the hoity-toity reading/writing... I do have all the (willed from Grandmother) hardbound Classics in a sizable library - though the books are in 5 bookcases, 2 1/2 hours away. I read voraciously when I was young, as I was, and remain, deaf as a doornail without benefit of hearing aid. What I couldn't hear, I read - so the act of reading was a mix of: learn to do, do to learn, which helped my reading and writing comprehension, which, in turn, meant I learned to pronounce what I'd just read, though again, I never read out loud. I thought friends that did that were just goofy. Speaking of goofy, here is a recent photo, which should clear up any misconceptions about my appearance:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I would mount the shields but ONLY if Ferrari sPA agrees to compensate handsomely you for the advertising. My goodness, when I start thinking about how many "horseys" are on my car to begin with, it gets to be a little much. Let's see...all the wheels, the steering wheel, the floormats, the front (2) , the back, OK OK OK!!!! I get the point!!! It's a horsey car!!! ENOUGH ALREADY!!!