Brit abroad - any tips... | FerrariChat

Brit abroad - any tips...

Discussion in 'Europe' started by murph7355, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Hola, Hallo, Bonjour, Ciao etc...

I'm about to do some touring and was wondering if anyone has any tips!

Plan is to visit Western France, Spain (East coast and down to Rhonda/Tarifa etc), Monaco, South of France, Northern Italy (as far as Firenze and also a pilgramage to Modena), Alpine pass routes (Stelvio and Col de Turini) and then home.

I have no real plans, just to drive and see some more of these wonderful places.

So, does anyone have any tips?

I have also seen on UK TV that the Andalucia Ferrari Owners Club meets on Sundays. I believe this is between Tarifa and Rhonda somewhere on the top of a mountain - had lunch there in a Peugeot 206CC last year, but only found it by mistake! I might well try and be there one Sunday if I can.

Not sure on dates at present, but will be setting off within the next 2 weeks. I have a factory tour booked towards the end of April (which is likely to mean the order of places is reversed to above), everything else will be slotted around that...

Advice welcome.

Andy

2. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Bonjour !

If I may, I'd suggest considering alternatives to the Stelvio, you may have been enticed by the british press (Car or EVO, don't remember) that it's a sublime road, but in my opinion, it's highly over-rated.
    There are lots of other alpine passes which are much more enjoyable drives.
    The Stelvio's north eastern side is a boring littany of hairpins with catastrophic tarmac, and the western side is nothing special.

Other passes in the region such as the Offenpass or the Julier, or elsewhere in the Alps may be less famous, but you'll have a blast, a real one. Some guys on this board know the eastern Switzerland passes really well, I can give you advice on the best roads in the swiss-french area if your trip takes you there.

Enjoy and drive safely !

3. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Thanks for the reply. I'll certainly bear that in mind. Will hopefully get a few days in that area so will be able try several roads :)