Need input on a 1986 Jag XJ6............... | FerrariChat

Need input on a 1986 Jag XJ6...............

Discussion in 'British' started by Ekasilicon, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ekasilicon

Ekasilicon Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2003
    I have the opportunity to get a 1986 Jag XJ6 for "free" The reason I put quotes around "free" is because I will have to put a few hours into the car.

Here is the story. In 1991 my mom was driving the Jag and let it run low on oil. As a result, the engine seized. The Jag sat in my parent's garage until 1998 when my dad and I rebuilt the engine. We took our sweet time and finished in 2001. The engine did not run too smoothly, so we got it towed to a shop. They told us one of the valves was bent. They replaced the valve and gave the car back to us. We had them just replace the valve, and not put anything back together. We got the car back and put a few hours into it. We put the head back on and never got around to finishing it. My dad offered the car to me as a gift, but I would have to finish it. All I need to do is put the exhaust and intake manifold on and connect a few small odds and ends.

The car has 68,000 original miles and a newly rebuilt engine. My concern is how reliable is this car? I know Jags are known for electrical problems, but since this has been sitting for 13 years, I am concerned about all the accessories. Will the alternator, the water pump, the power steering pump, the A/C pump, still be fine? It is very generous of my dad to offer this to me, but I don't really want to be given a project on top of the labor I have already listed.

What are your guy's thoughts on this car and what I should do?

Thanks,

MJG

2. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Howdy, I had an 87 XJ6 and enjoyed it. They are not very reliable cars, I had soem issues with it. However it is a very nice car to drive and I think they look great. I recently bought a 73 XJ6 series 1. It has a Chevy 350 V8 installed in it. Once I get the car tuned, it will become one of my daily drivers. Once you get the 6 cylinders tuned correctly, they are reliable.

3. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    What were some of the issues that you had?

4. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    dont do it do not waste your life and money on an 80s jag they are just junk, i would take an 80s jag if you gave it to me and $3k cash for parts and service but I know within the year I would be broke and have a broken car.

good luck

john

5. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    I could finish fixing it and sell it though.

6. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Make sure you have a good set of jumper cables! Seriously I wouldn't fix it up and expect to use it as a daily car that you have to be dependant on, however why not fix it up and use it for a second car then if it gets to be a headache sell it.

7. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    MJGERMANE, the 86 XJ6 is a beautiful car. I['ve heard horror stories about the electrics but have no personal experience with XJ's before 88. The go-to guy for Jags around here is Sunny. It appears he has recently departed, but you can still find his email contacts in the So Cal section.

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    actually the 86's and 87's are fine. Those are the last 'real' Jags. 88 and 89 is when Ford bought them out and they are quite f'ed up. Especially when it comes to electronics. I wouldn't tough an 88-90 with a 200 ft. pole. 86... yes, go for it.

9. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

You know, I've heard lots of people say the same thing but I must have gotten lucky. I put 140,000 miles on an 88 XJ6 with only a couple minor problems. Hit or miss I guess.

10. Ekasilicon

Jan 21, 2003
    I appreciate the information. I probably will go for it since it won't be a main car.

Thanks.

11. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Yes, the electricals were nightmarish. Also the fuel system was vastly troublesome. Once I had the car tuned correctly, it ran great. They are very good looking cars.