Old Yeller | FerrariChat

Old Yeller

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bluekawala, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Sorry it isn't a Ferrari, but definately a vintage discussion. :)

I just watched one of the best shows I've ever seen on Speed last night on Max (I could never spell his last name) and his Old Yeller models. I've seen the car before in magazines and heard about it several times on various sites so it isn't the first time I've heard/seen the car, but there was new stuff that really fasinated me.

I am just curious as to any thoughts, or comments, you guys might have on him or his car? Being how this is a Ferrari site do you believe the "tea baggers" lol, that the car shouldn't have been allowed on the track, and was too ghetto to use todays lingo ;) ? Or do you think he was one of the time's greats with his innovation by using crazy things, from a junk yard of all places and beat the best finely designed cars that Europe could offer, that "would never work?" Do you think its good that today's rules nearly knock out such "back yard" compitators leaving racing for the "true thuroghbreds," or that such people/cars bring endless character to the sport?

I think it would be interesting to hear some die hard Ferrari fan's feelings about this beast of a vintage racer.

Happy Driving!

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Max was a great guy and his cars are wonderfull. I very much enjoyed running with Old Yeller at Goodwood when I was there with my MK-IV.

3. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I watched it too and I was totally amazed. I have so much more respect for "Old Yeller" now that I know the history of that car. Max and his wife were amazing.

4. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Amazing!, I need to get to a vintage race. Do you take your car to the classic LeMans runs?

Max really did sound like an incredible guy, I loved how he made the frame! Chalked it out on the garage floor! That takes loads of talent to pull it off right, I have no idea how he did it, no jigs or equations testing rigidity etc. Just eye ball it by years of experience, I'm speachless.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    One fine day.

6. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
  7. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Yes, things were done differently in those days. Balchowsky wasn't the only guy using chalk lines on the floor, most Indy cars of the era were built that way.

8. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL

Wow, thanks I had no idea!

A different type of racing indeed, I have a new respect for builders/drivers of that era!

9. bluekawala

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
  10. whturner

whturner Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Western Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Warren Turner
    I was at Palm Springs in 1953 and saw that years "Old Yaller", but was not really into sports cars until after I got out of the Army, so my memory fails me with regard to all the other cars present. I do remember one or 2 Cad-Allards, and that there were quite a number of different cars.
    I believe Max was running a "Nailhead" (Buick) engine, which I always wanted for my 1947 Ford, since it was the only OHV narrow enough that the inner fender panels did not have to be cut.
    Those were the real days of SPORTS Cars.

Cheers
    Warren

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Max was a friend and a great guy, although a bit of a curmudgeon (just like me!) There were a total of 9 Old Yellers.

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Was with a bunch of old racers, historians, and Dr.Ernie who owns #2 yesterday. A tribute to Max is being planned for around September...