what companies have owned Ferrari in the past? | FerrariChat

what companies have owned Ferrari in the past?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ryan S., Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I know fiat owns em now, but i cant remember who else has owned them. Im almost positive someone else has. Butttt, i could be wrong.

Thanks for the help,
    Ryan S.

2. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    My recolection says Fiat purchased a majority directly from Enzo and now that GM owns a significant part of Fiat it could be streached to say they own ferrari but that really is not the case.

Lamborghini, on the other hand has had many MANY sugardaddies

3. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    A Merchant bank currently owns a fairly large percentage as well as Fiat

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    before starting Ferrari Spa., Enzo Ferrari was race team manager at Alfa Romeo before WW2. I believe he worked as a tank or truck mechanic during WW2. I think Ferrari worked for FIAT before Alfa.

Ferraris Spa has only had 3 1/2 owners. Enzo himself who was bankrolled by his customers & maybe some shady people. then he offered to sell to Ford, some people think he did this to squeeze more $ out of FIAT who then bought 49% of Ferrari I believe. Once Enzo died he left around 11% to his son Piero Lardi Ferrari, FIAT got the rest. Now I believe FIAT may have sold a large % to the Italian bank & I believe Michale Schumacher bought a sizable chunk for himself

5. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    the schumacher stuff is pretty interesting. thanks for the info.

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I need to check my notes, but I thought the GM deal was with the road car division, not the holding company. The holding company is what has the majority stake in Ferrari/Maserati.