Maserati GT - Driving Impressions????? | FerrariChat

Maserati GT - Driving Impressions?????

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by farmboy, Apr 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. farmboy

farmboy Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Does anyone own a Maserati Spyder GT or Coupe GT who can give me some feedback on their impression of the manual six speed transmission? I've read reviews that say the paddleshift will make you look like a better driver than you really are while the manual does just the opposite. Anyone with experience to share on this topic? Thanks.

2. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I read all those reviews also but still ordered the six speed. Yes, You might screw up the first day or two with the 1st to 2nd shift but you will learn how to master it very quickly, Main thing was not to hesitate and pull knob towards you. Remember most of those reviewing the car had very limited time in car and I think if they had driven car a couple of days outcome would have been differtent. Most of the reviews I read where they had a little problem with the six speed still recommended going for it. Also after reading tons of write ups I noticed just as many found faults with the cambio. Would like to see someone review a 2004 as all the ones I had found were on 2002 and I think Maserati made nice improvements on both systems. Bottom line is go with what you prefer. I have no regrets with my decision, After driving the M3 SMG for two years I now find having the clutch again adds to my driving enjoyment. Only other thing is if you plan on tracking car, For that the Cambio is better, But for buzzing around and off the line acceleration the six speed suits me much better

3. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm picking up my Cambio Spyder on Monday. Dealer convinced me to try the Cambio over the GT. Every car I've ever had has been a traditional manual, so this will be a change. Wife is pretty excited about it, as her seat time in my car will increase significantly... she loves the Cambio. She enjoys shifting when she wants to, but not having to worry about it when she isn't in the mood. Hmmmm... more wife seat time in my car... not sure that's a good thing now that I think about it...

In conclusion, I figure it's best to find out if I enjoy the Cambio before I sink $200k on a 360 (or the new 420) F1 and hate it, like a friend of mine. This Cambio will be my daily driver, we'll see how it goes.

4. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    I have an '04 Maser Cambio Coupe w/ Tubi, and I just love it. I use it as an (almost) daily driver, weather permitting (I do have snows for it). You'd be surprised how many grocery bags I can stuff in that small trunk.

The transmission does not compare to a tiptronic. I always keep it in Sport mode, never use the Auto mode, and yes everyone is Michael Schumacher while driving a Cambiocorsa. Or at least Ralf.

I bought the Mas because I was looking for a fast 4-seater (3 kids) daily driver that I can track. There wasn't a lot out there that fit the bill. I understand the question of stick vs Cambio. I love to drive stick and fortunately have other cars on which to do so. The Cambio is a blast, and mighty quick. Keep it on Sport mode.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Having previously driven an F1 shifter 355 at Road Atlanta I too thought they were great and considered ordering it as an option when I buy a new V10 M5. However, after being giving an SMG shifter BMW as a loaner car for 3 days while my current M5 was being serviced, I realized that it isn't nearly as much fun to drive on a daily basis as a good olde manual with a stick shift! Just MHO.

6. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I just had a 4200 spyder GT for the weekend courtesy of my dealer whilst my 355 was in for repair:impressions very good(it was the manual)seemed very powerful and loads of torque,well equiped but the roof a bit slow,also thought that the info system was a bit over complicated,the gearbox was excellent and the engine pulled very well at high speed,my only real problem was I thought the steering was far to sharp but that was maybe me,my Wife also drove it and she also thought it was great,would really like to try the cambio.
    Summing up I (and the Wife) both thought it was an excellent car and good value for money(bit thirsty though)

7. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    I agree on the over-complicated info center. Mas has lots of phone buttons for a system we can't integrate into the car here in the States.

8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I did not find Nav that complicated but it is damm slow, that hour glass seems to take forever to allow info to load. I find it odd that the map does not list streets other than the one your on. Hoping that its just an issue with the CD they give you and maybe future upgraded disks will list streets. They could also improve the stereo even with the upgrade its below average. The CD changer is very strange half the time it shows no CD's loaded. But I could care less about those issues, The Tubi solved them all

9. Suzyq

Suzyq Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    I have a Garmin Street Pilot III that I move around my other cars. The Mas nav system pales in comparison. When I first got the Mas it only spoke Italian. The dealer couldn't adjust it, Mas USA couldn't adjust it either, so they swapped it out. I offered to go to Italy and learn the language on their dime, but alas no. The Queen's English is cute. In our MB E55, her accent is quite German, a little harsh.

I agree, the Tubi solves it all.

10. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Suzy funny you said that, When I was picking up my car they had a couple of people trying to change mine from Italian to English, after awhile I told them it might be quicker if I just learned Italian. And while my BMW system was much better, your right about that voice, I use to feel at moment she was going to start yelling at me

11. propaganda

propaganda Rookie

Oct 1, 2003
    Don't discount the Cambiocorsa - it is really great fun once you get the hang of it. After a few months in the 4200CC I went back to a conventional manual gearbox ( a Lotus Elise) and found it wasn't as much fun as the cambiocorsa. If you are into heel and toe stuff and "driver involvement" then perhaps the manual is for you, personally I enjoy having complete control over the gears. It doesn't bother me at all that a computer is doing all that stuff in the background.

When I bought my car the dealer said you have to give around 3-4 weeks before you become comfortable with Cambiocorsa. This is very true, in fact for the first few days I thought that perhaps I should have gone for a GT. That was three months ago and now there is no way I could be dragged into a GT. I mainly drive in standard mode, occasionally in sport, but never in Auto as that is truly truly terrible. Cannot understand why that is the default mode in the Quattroporte.

If you are interested in Cambiocorsa try to get an extended test drive, a few days if possible. Don't judge on a single short outing.

12. Bimmerista

Bimmerista Formula 3

Feb 7, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I couldn't agree more!!