Internet Explorer question | FerrariChat

Internet Explorer question

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Hubert888, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I have something installed on my computer that changes my home page to this one page every time I reboot my computer. I manually set my home page for internet explorer to say .... www.ferrarichat.com. And then when i reboot, my home page is changed to that same page before I changed to to www.ferrarichat.com.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I have run Ad-aware 6.0 and also Spybot - Search & Destroy. And this problem still exists.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Clear your cookies & files:

Click: Tools >
    Click: Internet Options >

Temporary Internet Files
    Click: Delete Cookies
    Click: Delete Files

After you do that, close the browser.
    Re-open browser. You'll need to reset your home page again, since cookies are cleared, but you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work, make sure AdAware and spybot are updated. Do what thou wilt.

3. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    It will be somewhere in the registry, probably under
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    which is where the programs that run at login are contained.

If you are running XP then you can use the msconfig program to edit the startup programs otherwise you'll need to edit the registry manually which is not recommended unless you know what you are doing. If you're not familiar with the registry then find someone who is or you may do serious harm to your computer by modifying it.

4. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Does it change your homepage to "CoolWebSearch" ?

If so, you need to run CWShredder. This is an annoying spybot that can be eliminated by running this little executable CWShredder.Exe
    It's free and you can find it doing a search on the net.

If you can't find it, I have a copy I can send you. It's only 104K file size

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    good temporary solutions, but the fact is... it will come back and change again.

what you need to do is get spybot here: http://download.com.com/3000-8022-10194058.html?tag=lst-0-2

once you download it, install it, do the update and then run it. clean clean clean. if you need any assistance, drop me a pm/email or even icq/aim as well. there are ways to change your homepage in there too, so it doesn't come back. it's under tools as well. but first thing's first, get rid of the spyware/adware apps that are loaded on there.

6. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    There are numerous spyware programs that will help you get rid of the spyware. Spybot, Ad-aware, Spyware Blaster, Spyware guard, HiJack this, etc.

The real problem is your rotten browser. I will probably get flamed, but IE is a sad excuse for browser technology. It is open season for spyware and pop-ups.

Try Mozilla, or Opera. You will never go back. No pop-ups, spyware doesn't even recognize the browser.

IE Bites weeney.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    sduke - I agree, but it's difficult to get people to move away from it. besides, it keeps people like me, in the IT industry, employed. =) that's certainly an optimistic way of looking at a nagging problem.

but one word of advice, I wouldn't trust anything other than spybot, adaware & hijackthis - some of the others pose as anti-spyware apps, yet, they actually invite others in, and to remove them all - you have to pay up.