Good agent in Hollywood contact info | FerrariChat

Good agent in Hollywood contact info

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Auraraptor, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I need the contact information on a good agent in Hollywood that will be able to talk to producers/directors for me.

Any suggestions?

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Call 20th Century and ask?

DrS

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Talk to producers/directors about what? Different agents for different things.

What do you have/do?

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Movie idea.

No personal $ gain to be attatched to it, I only want to be able to help as a secondary consulant. If email for more info.

5. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Omar, you're doing the F-chat movie, aren't you? Deliverance meets Holy Grail kind of a thing? :D

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    ahhh... pitch meetings, the good old days...

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    No, more of a West Side Story thing, set in Miami - the Cavallino gang clashes with the Toros.

8. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

hmmm... it would be interesting for more than one person if a knowledgable person would describe in reasonable detail "the good old days" of doing pitch meetings... if one didn't have time, perhaps they could just divulge how one would get through the front door at a studio to do one?!?!

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Adult film star? I guess you gotta start somewhere.

j/k :D

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    When I began shopping around my TV project here is what I did, this is more current than the other anecdotes I can give you. Most big agencies do not take unsolicited materials, or walk ins for projects.

you don't want an agent as most people think of agents you need representation as an author. if you are thinking CAA, UTA, Gersh or someone will pick you up no matter how great the idea is, think again. big agents do not take unsolicited projects. if it is possible to publish this as a book, your publisher will go to great lengths to get attention for it.

Remember in shopping this around, you are more of a messenger, because without careful wording, you will come across as the producer of the project, and nobody opens up studio coffers for joe nobody even if it is a great idea. I was humbled by not watching my mouth at a meeting with a network recently for a friend's project by accidently coming across as a producer. most times, internal groups at agencies will package the project with a director or some producers and then get a team together to do the pitch.

Step one, register the idea/project and do a search at the Writer's Guild.

Step two, is there anyway that a buzz can be created about this project? like a short story getting to be published on/about this topic? I leaked articles all over the place on one idea and we got a few calls. Someone optioned the project and it was shelved, but hey we got money. One case was a producer I interned for that had many oscar noms, but when I was there, he was still farting around with Tenessee Williams novels and Whoopi Goldberg movies. He would often read magazine articles, short stories, sifting for something good. I read a script I thought was awful from one writer, but the butt kissing anti-intern loved it and gave it to him, thus began 'First Wives Club' ugh! I hated that job anyway, I got things thrown at me all day and the writer kept sending gifts to that intern.

Step three, if an agent will not come to you, find an artist or production company that has representation that does projects like yours. 'Network' as in schmoozing, not TV networks or computer related terms. In our case we got a major production company to take our calls because one of the people at this company happened to be stalked by your's truly so I knew who to call. I started by calling development departments at production companies and seeing if we could do a meeting. If that did not work, we would have gotten a show runner to shop the project for us, essentially a hired gun with a hotline to the studios.