Portland Drive | FerrariChat

Portland Drive

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Wasco, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    OK, I am getting a little envious of all this chat about our buddies up north taking all these kewl drives.

Please tell me someone in the Portland area has a drive planned for the scenic hwy up the george to Multhomah falls or one to crater lake. How about up Mt hood down thru Kah Nee Tah and back through Bend and out 22 to Salem.

Let me know I am waiting with baited breath!

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Altho my schedule is totally messed up for the next 3 weekends, I'd love to participate in any drive that gets into the mid- or southern part of the state. As I'm in southern OR, it's a little impractical for me to join in too many of the Portland area drives.

BTW, we have some truly excellent roads way down here. <G>

3. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes I know you have some awsome roads. Do you happen to know Clyde from Glyde? ( Local wrecking yard guy )

My girlfriend at the time was driving her 4 runner up to Diamond Lake an ran off the road an almost ended up in the Umpqua river. Actually she let her frined drive her rig of the cliff around a very tight corner.

I really like the rim drive at crater lake, some real neat scenery on the back side. What would be your pick for a drive around southern Oregon. I have been most places such as most all roads that lead from I-5 to the coast.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm busy this weekend, but in general I'd be in favor of doing a drive.

Also, I wouldn't mind trying to do some sort of simple meetup at a Starbucks or something, early some Saturday morning. Kind of like what the SoCal guys do at Crystal Cove, only on a much smaller scale.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Wasco, don't wait! Commit to a plan, and let everyone know...you may be surprised at the turn out. Waiting for an agreement to a day, and route, will never please everyone....just go with something, and make an annoucement (you may get 5 cars or a dozen, you never know) It also helps to run through the local Club roster and call a few people too...you guys will have a great time!

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Wasco: LMFAO!! Yes, I know Clyde from Glide. But actually, he's headquartered in Roseburg now.

Hmmm.......

Push come to shove, maybe I'll have to organize something.

Day trip only, or will some of you entertain an overnighter? Thinking that many from the north might have difficulty doing it all in one day.

Hans.

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Oh, and PS - Dave:

This is SOUTHERN OREGON!!!!!! A half dozon cars?? LOL!

My one and only F-sighting was a chance encounter a year or two ago when SteveJ was returning from Laguna Seca. I was pulling onto the freeway in my Pontiac only to see a TR fly by. Turns out it was SJ heading to Cottage Grove for the night.

Other than that, no F-sighting in maybe 5 years.

Hans.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Okay, yeah you are right....but waiting around for someone else to take charge could be an eternity...and I hate to say it, but unless you jump in yourself Wasco, I doubt any of the other Portlanders will volunteer, based on previous history....you guys need a leader, and YOU could be the one! :)

9. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Don,
    You name the Sat place and time and I'm in.I agree with Dave Handa-once we hone down on a place and time I know at least 1/2 doz F guys who would be interested.(Scott Collins,Bruce McKinney,John Casale,Tony Cantafio,Doug Daniels,Gregg Theis (from RTGT) and perhaps Page Stevens)
    Marty

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Well, guys don't you forget that Cannon beach is coming up??

11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    So where do most of the Portland folks live? There are some great a.m. routes leaving from the Lake Oswego/Tigard/Tualatin area, going out toward Newberg and the northern wine country. Great roads, lightly traveled, some great twisties. Not nearly as convenient for folks east the river, though.

12. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Hans,

There's a ranch in the Medford/Crater Lake area that has at least a DOZEN Ferraris in the "garage". If we could only get the owner to come out and play..... sigh...

13. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Last summer, I remember hearing about some drives organized through Tonkin, maybe they just haven't started up yet?

I'm on the west side of Portland, Cedar Mill area if you know where that is (near St. Vincent's Hospital).

With kids and all, I don't always have time for an extended drive. An early AM Saturday-type thing would work well for me, however.

And yes, I am going to try to make it to Cannon Beach. I own a house near there (going this afternoon, in fact), so it's pretty easy for me.

14. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Dave, Thanks for your thoughts. As you can see we have got interest. ( I dont mean for it to sound as though there was none before I landed here a month ago ) I am busy for Easter but if no one comes forth to schedule something in a week or so I will take the inititive.

Don, I would love to drive up for the day. Meeting up at Starbucks on a Sat. Morn. sounds great.

Scotty,

A drive around wine country sounds great, my girlfriend would love to spend the day wine tasting, ( are the fairer sex welcome on these jaunts? ) I better forgo the tasting as I drive crazy as it is.

I.E. Got pulled over in downtown Salem yesterday after work for " extreme excelleration and loud exhaust" got off with a warning. I stated that I was pretty sure I didn't break the speed limit. The Lt.'s reply was that he could get me on a racing statute. I wasn't even getting on it! But I will be taking it a little easier in town from now on.

15. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen

Gary:

Name? Address?

Maybe I could make some personal contact and arrange a 'private'
    garage tour??

Hans.

16. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    My step father knows a guy in gold hill that has a cord and an F-car. I am checking with him this week on the specifics. According to my mom this gentleman knew Amelia Earhart!

Gary - Hans does this ring a bell?

I am friends with Gordon Smith from Pendleton but I don't think he gets his vintage cars out much for drives.

17. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I'd heard that Gordon Smith had sold most of his FCars (has a Mondial left??), as it might look "politically incorrect" for a Senator. A year or so ago his F40 was in Tonkin's showroom.

Hans.

18. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Did you see the pic in the Oregonian several years back where the police where pulling his personal plate out of the columbia slough? It read "Peas" an was on a green F-car ? I cant remeber which car for sure. He had left his car at the airport and it was stolen. He also had "Corn" on a yellow p-car.

I have not been to his place for several years so dont know exaclty what he has left. His wife Sharon was here last week as we passed a Senate Memorial ( State Senate ) honoring their son Garrett.

Do you know the gentleman in Gold Hill?

19. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    No, don't know the Gold Hill guy. Could this be the same one that Gary Reed mentioned as being "in the Medford/Crater Lake area"?

AFAIK, mine is the only F-Car within at least 50 miles. But it's no longer a novelty in the area as I drive it all over town everyday, and everyone's seen it a zillion times.

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Is that the one with the Dominos pizza sign on top?:D

21. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    That's why everybody's seen it. It appears in everybody's driveway while I'm making deliveries.

22. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I saw the picture a while back, classic...............

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So, back to the original topic of this thread-- what about a meetup somewhere on Saturday morning?

The Bethany Village Starbucks opens at 5:30am on Saturdays, plenty of parking, close to my house... I could be there by 6 if anyone is interested. I should probably be home by 8:00 or so to fix breakfast.

Or, I am open to meeting somewhere by Lake Oswego, if that works better for everyone.

24. Wasco

Wasco Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Salem
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I realize I started this thread but I am heading up to Mt. St. Helens to my father in laws cabin this weekend to fix his broken water pipes.

Don, 8 AM on Sat is a little early for me to come up from salem but sure one of the actual Portland guys will do it! Do you have any chance of making a lunch on a Sat?