My friend's new slate gray Porsche C4S | FerrariChat

My friend's new slate gray Porsche C4S

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by zjpj, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I love the color. It's very unusual, very subtlely different. That's his Cayenne too (I posted a thread when we changed to the summer wheels.) The C4S is still at the dealer being prepped, but hopefully we will go pick it up soon.
    Best,
    Zach

2. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I love the slate grey.Saw a 944 turbo a couple weeks ago in a similar color and it looked awesome.

3. dherman76

dherman76 Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 25, 2004
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Darren Herman
    Gorgeous cars - hope he enjoys them!

4. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    Please don't understand this question as a flame -- but why do so many people opt for the C4S ??

In my opinion, the regular Carrera C2 is the best looking (I think the huge air vents and, to a lesser extent, the wide fenders, are unattractive on the Turbo/GT2/C4s). The fact that the Turbo and GT2 have so much more power to necessitate the use of those fenders and air vents MORE than makes up for the aestetics.

On the C4S, the added equipment (including the AWD) simply adds about 200 lbs of weight and detracts from the looks of the car (while adding a few grand to the bottom line).

I just don't see the appeal of the C4S. Anyone care to enlighten me?

5. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Northern climate and the benefit of the AWD?

Also some people might like the turbo look but don't want to opt for higher price, higher insurance, more maintenance?

6. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    If you simply wanted to AWD, there is a regular C4 available without the prounounced fenders and air vents.

I'm not really suprised that *anyone* likes the C4S, I guess I'm just suprised with how popular it is. I see many of them, and I expected them to sell in limited numbers.

The only explanation I can really think of is perhaps you are right about how many people want the "look", without the price. For myself, I would rather spend 90k on a USED turbo than spend 85-90k on a NEW C4S (Or simply pony up the $110k or so for a new turbo).

7. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    #7 ghost, Apr 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I love the C4S. Primarily because of aesthetic reasons -- it's got the flared rear end, the center reflector, the front air dams (that make it much more aggressive looking), yet none of the side air-vent nonsense that the turbo has. And of course it's got AWD. IMO, it's the best of both worlds. Once I move away from NYC, and into a place where it actually makes sense to keep a stable of cars, this one's definitely joining the group.

I like the color your friend has choosen, although I must admit, when it comes to grey's I'm a little more partial to the stock "Seal Grey" color that the C4S comes in.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Yeah, I think it's looks and AWD but wanting normally aspirated. I'm not sure, because I'm not a Porsche guy :) but I do remember some Porsche magazine or other saying the 996 C4S was one of the top 10 or was really great (was it Excellence?) I don't know - my memory is not good. A lot of people like the looks of the rear in particular because of the light strip that goes all the way across the back. You can also add a supercharger aftermarket.

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Does your friend know the 997 is RIGHT around the corner?

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Yeah, but it's not going to be really that many changes. The 998 is going to be the big change, so he's on the list for that one. Also, it was sort of unclear whether 997 would come out with widebody, or whatever, so he just decided to get the one available now and get psyched for the totally new 998 down the road.

11. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Zach (and his friend) are right: if Porsche follows the roll-out pattern for the 997 the way they did for the 996, the C4S version of the 997 will be a couple of year's out at least. Interestingly enough, Porsche has indicated that they will be rolling out a C2S version for the 997.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ahh, but that is *exactly* why I would take the C4 if I couldn't get the turbo - I personally love the widebody look, and the dual intake nose of the turbo. For me, the current C2 and GT3 swoopy-lipped bumpers just don't do it.

But given C4 $ and choosing a Porsche product - if warranty and AWD wasn't an issue - then I'd get a 993TT, with the big fat whaletail. Even C2 money.

I'm excited to see the 997 though - because it seems to incorporate more of the wider rear fenders into the stock body.

Side question: off the top of anyone's head, does any company make a whaletail for the current 996TT?

13. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #14 LAfun2, Apr 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Ryan, yes :) Picture attached
    Even thouch car is C4S, can be fitted on TT no problem :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    whaletail doesnt really look right imho on the newer bodystyle...put me down for a 993 turbo/turbo S otherwise, a C2S or 3.8RS;)

16. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    I didn't realize that the C4S was sans air vents -- those were my biggest gripe.

I still believe the C2 is the best looking of all, but I can *appreciate* the widebody.

17. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Don't make me barf. If you think you need AWD, then maybe you should learn to drive first.

18. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    With the new model around the corner and dealers selling C2's for mid 60's, the C2 would be an obvious choice for me. AWD is great but will he really be using the vehicle in terrible weather ie snow? Beautiful color though!

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    As the proud owner of a 2001 C4, that I'm trying to sell (see FerrariAds), and a 2002 TT, let me say this in defense of the C4. It is perhaps one of the sweetest handling road cars that I have ever driven. Even in good weather, the AWD will run the pants off a C2. You can really feel those front wheels gripping through the turns. Plus, Porsche's computer magic constantly shifts the power between the front and rear for optium grip. It is eerie how well the C4 holds the road.

Does the C4 have the same majic right pedal as the TT? Of course, not. In a straight line the TT just flat hauls butt.

But I actually think that the C4 is more fun to drive in the twisties than a TT. You can drive a C4, as Doody sez, like you stole it and get prefectly linear feedback. It is probably one of the best balanced sports cars ever. You just concentrate on the driving, and it does the rest.

In the TT, you use a "point and shoot" style. That is, you pitch it in and start powering up to right before the boost point waiting until you see enough daylight so you can drop the hammer. Don't get me wrong. Driving a TT is a hoot. It's just that driving a C4 is more about what a sports car should be like.

I now return you to your regular programing...

Thx, DrTax

20. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    AWD = kitchen appliance

ferrari, please don't go there.

(and i do own a 996TT)

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ryan - Thanks for the pic. IMO that whaletail just isn't big enough though! I want 930 or 993TT big. Maybe it's just the pic though.

G-Car-Man - well, I've seen 2 guys in my neighborhood who drive their 996TT's year round (Boston). A lot of mixed feelings as I walk by a salt-coated black 911 Turbo in the snow, but mostly awe that these dudes must have some serious $ to have one as a winter car.

I have this nightmare that my best job offer coming out of law school will be somewhere with a cold winter, and I end up buying a 911 instead of a Ferrari...

22. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I don't particularly care for AWD, especially since I never take the car out in bad weather, or take the car to its cornering limits. But it's a nice option to have -- see Dr. Tax's comments.

The second part of the section was intended to convey the fact that the C4S is the best bridge between the C2 and the Turbo.

Maybe you should learn to think before you post. :rolleyes:

23. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Mine too. That's one of the reason's why I think it is a nice bridge between the C2 and the TT.

24. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    My father has an '04 C4S and a '01 Lotus TT V8 and I drove the both last monthThe C4S is an awesome car and the aesthetics are a plus. I love the mega-wide-body looks though and I know that is a matter of opinion. The Lotus is much faster but the C4S is still an awesome car. As for AWD being a detriment, I did not find that to be the case, if anything it allowed me to corner on more than a few highway ramps at speeds of 70-90mph with no noticeable oversteer at all and the same can NOT be said of the Lotus.