Lighting a garage | FerrariChat

Lighting a garage

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doug, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Need to make a decision quick on the new house. Attached to my new house, I am buildig a 4th attached garage that is 17.5'w x 26' deep and will be @ 15' floor to ceiling. Plan on getting a lift but undecided what type.
    Tomorrow I need to specify the lighting. I will be placing cans along the back ceiling for regular light over the tools and desk with computer. Middle to back/middle of garage, I plan for florescent, but I'm not sure how many.
    I'm not sure how well they light an area. Also, not sure what to do above the area where the garage will be raised. With the door up, they will obviously be of no use.
    Any input appreciated.

2. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Do a search for the F-Chat user "Ultgar". His garage designs are absolutely amazing. He would be the one to ask about lighting questions.

3. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I'd just use flourescent lights. Heck, Ferrari uses them when the F1 car is in the garage at the Fiorano track. Typically you will be working on the car with the doors closed anyway. On the occasions that you work on the car with the garage open you can use a shop type light with a stand.

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i assume you're using an architect for the plans, if so he should have an electrical engineer who can help you with specifics and a lighting system that would work best for your space and load requirements. are you going to install a seperate panel? hint:this would be good if your going to be using it as shop and not want to pop your house circuts.

flourecents are OK for most uses, however metal halyide produces really good light but consumes electricity at an astounding rate compared to flourecents. if you look up at the ceiling of a home depot you'll see what i'm talking about.

5. 4RE Bob

4RE Bob Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Consider some lighting recessed, low, into one of the walls. It's a great way to really see the side of a car, if you are waxing or working on it.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Http://www.Hubbell.com buy my light fixtures & support my racing team :) You can find them at Granger, Graybar, and we sell at Home Depot under the Progress lighting brand

7. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I set up three stregically placed fluorescent shop lights in my garage, two bulbs each. Works very well.

8. ultgar

ultgar Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve D'Gerolamo
    You can't beat fluorescent lighting for lumens and efficiency for general lighting. Metal halides are good for high warehouse ceilings (14' or more) but stick with some good quality T8 or T5 fluorescent fixtures that use 48" lamps (lot better CRI and temperature selections in 48" size).

If your cars are red or yellow, stick with warm (3000-3500K) lamps.....for silver/blue and darker colors, 4100-5500k are better.

If you live in the NYC area, you're welcome to stop by and I'll show you some examples of T5/T8 linear, MR16 & Par halogens, and some interesting RGB LED lighting by Color Kinetics (see http://www.colorkinetics.com/ ).

I've got a few lighting pics at the bottom of the page here.... http://www.ultimategarage.com/ugr2003.htm . SD

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'd go with a 34W PL on the cans. They make them with two lamps each also.
    They are bright, installed 8' to 12' AFF.

I can vouch for Hubbell Lighting products, just installed $100K worth in a parking garage!

FWIW the Kim fixtures were actually installed fairly low in some areas, 10' to 12'. One or two would light your whole place. HID sources to have warm up and restrike time to consider, so they are rare in residential.

How was that, WILLIAM H.?

Hubbell Lighting was a proud sponsor of the Child Advocates Ferrari Racing for Children team in it's 1998 Rookie Year at the Houston Mayor's Cup Mini Grand Prix.

Second place finish after Mario Andretti gave us some technical tips!

Thanks Mario, thanks Hubbell.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Steve, that's a pretty kick as$ garage!

I was doing well to get the gfs place relit with some T8s over my speedboat and the race karts! The 308GTB got pushed out into the rain by the New Beetle Turbo S!

At least I get to come in from the dome tent, now and then...... ;)

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A 15' installation would allow a KIM PGL1HP with 100MH120 for 100W metal halide lamp at 120V.

Four should do the space.

12. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    I also went for a bunch of T8's. Reflective walls and floors also helps bounce the light around and avoids shadows.

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Looks good!

Can you read a newspaper, under the car?? LOL!

14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    AC/MC cable! Nice touch!

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    electronic ballasts please - if you go with flourescents. my eyes are quite sensitive from sitting behind a computer screen for so many years. kitchens with flourescents and garages as well - I can't stand to be in them because everything flickers from cheap lighting.

16. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    Steve, that garage is awsome. Some day, when I have a bigger garage (and more funds) I am going to have you do one for me.

In the meantime, I will watch your site for updates!

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks Alan, send me a PM & I'll see what I can do about renewed sponsorship :)