What to look for in 2001 modena @ $130k ? | FerrariChat

What to look for in 2001 modena @ $130k ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by juicert, Apr 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    I am fairly settled on holding out for a 2001 modena, as I am hearing some bad things about the 1999-2000 models and their F1 transmissions, etc.

So, although I know not to treat the f-chat membership as my own private blue book, I am curious if anyone has any guesses:

What kind of mileage would I find on a 2001 f1 coupe at a price of $130k ?

(assuming no accidents or bizarre interiors or other oddities that would skew the price)

I would like to think I could find it at 12k or so with the 10k service already done ?

2. mja360f1

mja360f1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2004
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Mike Ancona
    I saw a silver/black '00 360F1 with 5800 miles in Chicago suburbs last Saturday. It is so clean that it looks new. they are asking 148,900 and it went as high as 141 (did not meet reserve) on ebay. I talked with local f-car dealer who did inspection and all service..... they said problem free and a late '00 model ... August '00 build I believe...... let me know if your interested and I'll look up the phone number for you..............

3. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004

Hmm....so it sounds like a 2001 model with 10-12k for $130,000 is stretching it a bit ? Perhaps a lot :)

4. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles

If you are worried about the F1 tranny -- you need to go for a 2002 or later car or an earlier one that has had the updated TCU installed. Actually, there are a lot of '99-01 cars that have no F-1 tranny issues, including the "bucking bronco" syndrome. :)

BTW, there is no 10K service, but rather a 15K mile service. However, there is a major service (cam/timing belts, etc.) that Ferrari recommends be done at 3 years or 30K miles whichever occurs first. I'd bet most owners of low mileage '99 thru '01 cars haven't had this service -- that's one thing I'd be looking for in a previously owned (3 year or older) 360, along with the factory extended warranty. ;)

5. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004

6. silverf1modena

silverf1modena Formula Junior

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Rattle around in ebay, land of the lowball offer, and see what's there. There's a 2000 for $125K.

Look around, make some calls. The lowest prices for any car is always on ebay, the set the bottom prices for the market.

8. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    jack is right, you need to try and go past '01. i had an '01 that had f1 failure twice and the ridiculous lurching... however, not every early model had this problem by any means.

9. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    My two cents are that a good, low mileage, well taken care of 01 would realistically bring 140 - 145K, but no more. There is no shortage of used Modenas around so stay way from low ball e-bay cars. They all have stories, some very interesting ones. Also, as 01's are just about out of warranty why not consider a well documented Euro and save aroud 8 - 10K ?

10. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    I am not sure what you mean by a "well documented euro" ? No idea at all, actually...

11. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    A Euro-delivery car that's been converted to US spec and that has full records of who did the conversion, when it was done, what servicings were done prior and since the conversion, and other historical issues relating to the car.

nlh

12. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I just turned down a USA model 2000 360 Modena F1 red/tan with 13,000 miles, I was a second time buyer at that dealership and they were asking for it $125,000 with the 15,000 service included.

13. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    that's great news! That is exactly what I want - well, except I want titanium exterior, but who cares.

The only trick is, I like the idea of the updated TCU if I buy a 2000/2001 - anyone have any idea what this would cost ?

14. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    Thank you Noah, yes a car with all of the DOT, etc. paperwork and documented service as you would look for with any car. My neighbor bought a euro 2001 in May of 2002 and paid 30k under what a comparable US car brought, and Ferrari will sell you a tolerable warranty, basically drivetrain, for just a fraction of what you have just saved. The car will have less re-sale value later on, but so what? You got the savings up front.

15. juicert

juicert Rookie

Mar 17, 2004
    Interesting - are there any physical downsides to doing this - is the car actually different in any way ? Does it look identical and perform identically ?

16. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    To my eye there is no physical difference in the car. Nowadays all cars are more or less manufactured to a standard, consquently to Federalize a 360 is much less arduous than what it took to do say a Boxer. The interior is identical, except that my neighbors car does not have power seats, which may be an option or a US spec item. My mechanic and Ferrari of New England Mechanic have told me there is no service issues and as Ferrari itself will sell you a used car warranty, obviously any dealership can work on it. Think about it, the Euro way has some advantages. Of course, with the value of the euro so high you don't see any euro cars coming here as they are worth more on the continent. However if you look around, there are still dealers, especially on the west coast, that still have very low mile euros sitting around. Good luck.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    That's a little high IMHO !

18. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I guess this question will be asked and I should move it over to the Technical Board, but how much will an UPDATED TCU cost for the F1 to bring it to 03 Spec?