The "Bring back Allan" Petition | Page 8 | FerrariChat

The "Bring back Allan" Petition

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 96impalaSS, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nonturbo

nonturbo Rookie

Feb 9, 2004

Well considering this page has grown 9 pages long in 24 hours. I'd say yeah, other people agree with me. The board doesn't seem the same. If I go around 3-4 pages back, the board is better with his comments.

Also I wasn't *****ing I was just saying if he's going to ban people. Might as well get rid of you also. I personally don't think anybody should be banned off of a forum unless there is a valid enough reason. Someone voicing there opinion and being a smartass is not a valid reason. Like I said I'd rather you and Allan stay around. But if Rob is going to ban people then why not you? You talk just as much crap as Allan did in alot of the past threads I read between you two. I have not seen you contribute **** yet. I'm sure you have but out of the 11,000+ posts how many were threads where you gave good information? I don't have alot of good information to give on alot of exotic car info. Hence the reason why I mainly read on this forum. Hell I didn't even join til recently. You're just a post whore, plain and simple.

Also, it isn't a quote if you change my words around.

Wax- Even if the "550's suck" didn't contribute to the thread. It'd still put a smile on my face. He's a funny guy.

Who cares where he's a moderator at? If I was a manager at McDonalds do you think it's right for Burger King to kick me out if I go and eat there?

2. TTBADBOY

TTBADBOY Karting

Jan 22, 2004

Please read the "Why I drive a 550" thread for an example found here ---> http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12146&page=4&pp=20

Im wasnt referring to smooth as many people here fought with him on every thread.He was real,not just opinionated.If you stated something he could prove false,he did,and people got mad.Plain and simple.Remember when Vanilla was the only flavor icecream?

Joe

3. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Interestingly, with a few exceptions, it seems like its the newer guys who credit Allen's contributions the most. But, the fear of being banished for criticizing a Ferrari here is nonsense. As far as the merits of owning a 550, i've owned two of them, and have never shied away from expressing my views, positive and negative, about the car on this board. And, if you are interested in Ferrari, there is somebody here, at one time or another, with virtually every model. I honestly don't know how much Allen really knew about Ferrari.

As to Allen's knowledge of Lambos, i honestly think he disserved the marque by the attitude he conveyed, regardless of the depth or passion he may have.

I'm sure Allen will be missed, but its more likely for the excitement or comic relief, if anything, not for his substantive contributions here. (Well, i guess if you like Britney lookalikes, he did bring something to the table).I think the vast majority were drawn to the "take no prisoners" combativeness of many, many of his posts involving cars. And watching most of those who sparred with him go down in flames.

As to censorship, i wouldn't worry about it. But, then again, i'm not apt to complain too often about the restriction of my "civil liberties" because i'm not here to test the system, just to enjoy the "ride" and share a few figurative beers with others who enjoy these cars. I could probably hang with him, too, no malice intended; but Allen has been pushing buttons from the get go, and what goes around comes around.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks for the opinions TTBADBOY, nonturbo, and 6.0 se. I value them, even though your total post count is only 51. :) Glad Allan is bringing in the fan club from other sites, just the type of users we want. :)

5. nonturbo

nonturbo Rookie

Feb 9, 2004
    Other sites? I've been on this site for a year at least. I just recently registered. Like I said I am still learning about Ferraris and don't have much to contribute. Unlike some of our users I realize that and don't postwhore to 11,000 posts.

Your smartass attitude in that post is exactly how Allan responds. So what makes it any different really?? Heh, maybe you'd make a good replacement :)

6. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Don't want to jump in the middle here, but the difference is this is Robs board and not Allans. ;)

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hey nonturbo I didnt want this to be a Flame thread.

8. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I think Whart summed it up well, especially about the Lambo issue, any appreciation I had for the cars was quickly gone as Allan and other vocal Lambo owners here reinforced the negative stereotypes I had about the owners and what the cars represent, big ego, gold chain wearing chest thumpers who scream "look at me!", Allan has improved some lately but in the past has gotten into mega flame wars with everyone who posts much here including myself, he also gets very nasty and personal, calling Ferrari owners whiny pansies etc., most I see here whining about Allan are non Ferrari owners who seemed to like the banter Allan stirred which was good entertainment.

9. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    get a grip??

don't start with me you friggin pipsqueek.

get a life

10. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    if he's a mederator, it's in secret cuz it sure don't say he's a moderator.

on the lambo board yes but not on the ferrari one

11. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    i'm the total opposite. i really started looking hard at lambo's when allan started driving home the point of how dominant lambo's are. they basically kick ferrari's ass. HOWEVER i still love my 360 and would not trade it for a gallardo which, although faster, is not as desirable IMO as the 360. but the murci is next on my list and truly blows away just about anything ferrari has. and i have allan to thank for showing me the lambo light

12. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Why dont you go back over the 10 pages of this thread and dig up the other positive Allan posts?I think you will find more than 51 posts.And what does that have to do with anything?Oh,I see.The number of posts is an important factor on this site.You cant be new to the site and have an opinion that is contrary to yours,or the "old boys network",without the number of posts being mentioned.Funny stuff. A.J.

13. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Clax, I am not sure if mako owned a lamborghini. What I do know is that they were both trolls and I am glad to see them gone. Allan was a known troll on half a dozen boards - constantly spewing his "Look at me, I have a Lambo and it is better than your car."

With the two biggest trolls gone, I will now become a paid member of this site. Idiots like Allan and Mako were not ferrari enthusiasts - they were agitators and immature agitators at that.

Kudos to Rob for stepping up on this and making this forum a better place.

Mike

14. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    How is it that a community with 6000 members only has the same 100 or 2 people that ever post? How many of the 6k just sign up and have never posted or gone away? Seems like this is a much smaller group of people to me and from the looks of this thread there are a small minority that are glad Allan is gone, far less than people that thought he was an asset. True it is Robs site and what he says goes but the fact of the matter is the site is only as good as its posters and its content. If the majority of the content is from a bunch of people with little substance it can't be benificial to the site.

15. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    In case you missed the old news - lamborghinichat (owned by rob) was rolled into ferrarichat (owned by rob). Hence: "Moderator for Competition."

Click this link & watch the address bar change
    http://www.lamborghinichat.com
    and end up in "Other Italian"

Here is Rob's explanation:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26663&postcount=11

16. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    In the begining of this thread I only wanted input about if you want Allan or not and reasons why. Not personal attacks on other people. (unless those people are either Allan or Carb ;) I think the fights between those two were aweasome.) I dont mind Flames at all but I didn't want it for this board. It wouldnt help Allan if there was flames on this board. It would just further prove Robs theory that Allan causes problems (even when he's not here.)

P.S. I could care less if allan is back or not alltogether I did enjoy his post but it's not my board to make the decisions. Think about that everyone. Why do we complain about Rob's decision. That is like complaing with the boss about firing some problem causing employe.

17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Not true. Many of us who refused to waste our time responding to his inflammatory bull**** before, now refuse to waste our time responding to idiotic threads such as "Should Allan be a Moderator?"

I realize you've just joined us within the last two weeks, but stick around a while and I'm sure you'll find that statement couldn't be any further from the truth.

18. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Wayne,

Someday I want to make your list, it's impressive. I've a chance to talk or exchange emails with some of those guys while searching for a car and they are claass acts all around.

I will put in my two cents about allan while I'm here.

I choose to ignore all the bull****, none of these guys everybody complains about bothers me as they don't seem to visit the forums I follow most closely. It's tough to start a flame war over which kind of clutch is better in a 348. :)

Also, I bought my first Ferrari from Allan, so I've actually met him. The car I bought was great, and Allan is a car guy, who likes to stir the pot on the internet. Allan is alright by me. It's kind of interesting the kind of impact he has on everybody's lives it seems. Whole threads dedicated to this?

Gotta go, more interesting stuff going on somewhere else.

19. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Ha thats classic, and very true, about 11,500 posts to many. Oh well if you have a high post count that makes u special.

20. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i'm sincerely sorry that my high post count bothers you folks... i'm also sorry to see that some of you have been deceived into thinking that i claim to be an expert on ANYthing; where you folks got that idea, i just don't know...

As far as Allan not having a chance to defend himself, he had all the chance in the world when i called him last night. Twice. We spoke both times and, overall, he was pretty civil; he even offered me some business advice... Still, i don't think his character has any place here... i'm glad some of you like drama (a void obviously unfillable in your own personal lives) but FerrariChat just isn't the place for that stuff... Really, get a grip and move on... It's not the end of the world...

21. vette79

vette79 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    well im on my way to work so excuse the hastily typed post. this is merely my .02, take it or leave it-
    I enjoyed allan's nature on the board, even though hes insulted me twice from what i can remember. so what? its an internet forum board, where people go to discuss cars and bull**** with eachother. ive spoken to him over the phone once and hes a very intelligent, knowledgeable genuine car person. take what he says on the board and dont let it get to you. if he truly WAS bothering you that badly, then it wouldnt have been hard to put him on ignore. I cant understand how people can take what is said on an internet forum so seriously that it troubles their day. when I first showed up, I thought allan was an a**hole. after watching some of his posts I came to realize that a very large amount of the time, he was right, even though he was a bit too hard on ferrari. I am a data collector by nature, I have been able to remember everything from curb weight to specifications to performance numbers of most any car ive looked at and taken even a slight interest in. I can usually find error in many posts by people on these facts, and from what i saw he had a pretty large sized vault of information. the other times it was a good form of comic relief. there are times ive laughed harder reading his posts than i have the whole day. id like to see some evidence that he truly is a "employed" by another board, and in that case the situation might be different. otherwise, id say bring him back, but its not my forum, and thats rob's decision. I think weve lost a lot of character with him being gone.

22. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Hey guy, you just mouthed-off to the OWNER of the board! DUH!! Perhaps you should read a little more BEFORE you type!

23. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    I completely agree with this 400%.

The community has 6000+ members but probably 2% are actual posters, the other are lurkers or duplicate accounts. That's how it appears after having read the board over the last 6 months. You just got rid of one of the 2% who actually contributed alot whether positive or negative.

It was a mistake, and looking at it as 1 person out of 6000 was a mistake. He was more like 1 person out of 100 and by how often he posted probably 1 out 40. And, most of what I read (maybe I skip over the BS and don't notice) was useful, enlightening, or entertaining.

24. ART360

ART360 Guest

I don't know exactly what they were fighting about, but it sure was funny. However, when Allan couldn't behave with Rob, it was time for him to leave. Sooner or later, he'll be back.

Art

25. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    ??

If you skipped over the BS there was not much left.
    Most was useful, enlightening???

Rob, is there a way to put an entire thread on ignore?