Should I get the stripe. | FerrariChat

Should I get the stripe.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by dan360, Nov 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should I get the stripe???

1. Yes I'm a boy race too - Get the Stripe.

2. No you're mad - Don't do it.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I'm leaning towards Red WITH the stripe, even though its v expensive. I know there's "boy racery" imagery with this but wondered what a poll might show...

aaargg misstyped my poll question and I can't edit it! Oh well.

2. jdcohenmd

jdcohenmd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    I was all set to pick up a stradale without the stripe. Yesterday I saw two red cars next to each other, one with the stripe and one without. I will wait and get mine with the stripe. It just adds that final element that sets the CS apart from the standard 360. I am deciding between scuderia red and argento nurburging. The red is bold, and the silver is more subtle with the stripe. Happy choices to have.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    skip the stripe. it's a road car. we all think it looks cute now, but it's going to be a resale liability downstream.

doody.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What Doody said. BesiDES, plaid is the next big thing.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Why not have it painted on for about $200?

6. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    if you want a sripe get a Viper. way to boy racer (ricer). the car speaks for itself, it doesnt need a stripe. MUCH classier without a stripe.

7. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    LOL

if you want something to make it distinctive, have something distinctive painted on at a tiny fraction of the cost.

maybe not plaid ;) but you know what i mean.

i remember shots of a 550 with a stripe of some sort down the middle (silver car with a blue/yellow stripe?). people fell over themselves bashing it, but i thought it wasn't horrific. not something i'd personally do to my car, but i can grok where it comes from.

if you're gonna be different BE DIFFERENT :).

doody.

8. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    You said you want a 360 CS in red...Good choice!
    hmm
    I would take Rosso Scuderia over Rosso Corsa...:) (but thats just me)
    And for the stripes...with or without is nice, its up to you to decide.

Here's a Rosso Scuderia 360 CS with stripes...
    Thank cavallino for this picture:)

[​IMG]

9. adamr

adamr Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Skip the stripe - Geezz just look at Tim's 360 that thing kicks a$$.

Sometimes the designs that are most 'in style' at the moment are the first to fall 'out of style'.

10. jdcohenmd

jdcohenmd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    It is clearly a personal decision. I like the stradale because to me it is more of what a ferrari road car should be. It recalls Ferraris of the past that were light weight sports cars, not luxo cars. Anyway I have seen the classic 250 GTO, and Daytona coupes with stripes no resale problem there. Besides who buys this car to resell it? Get what you want not what you think someone else will buy. As for lap times the stripe has to worth at least 2sec per lap. Happy Thanksgiving guys.

11. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I think it should come with the stripe as standard and you should pay to have it off !!! They'd probably end up making more money that way :)

I personally don't like it, reminds me of Fords and Shelby's etc. The stripes don't fit with the ambiance of the marque's road cars.

12. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    How much do they charge for that strip? I thought it was a no cost option to have it or not with the stardale....

13. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Ordered mine without the stripe, but ... if I were buying the car primarily for track use, I'd consider the stripe. I don't fancy a street car with a stripe.

When I ordered, I felt there were two extremes, reflected in the blue and red cars in the factory Stradale brochure: the car could be optioned in a perhaps more elegant trim, say blue w/ tan leather interior, radio, etc, or in more of what I'd call a track day trim, say rosso scuderia with the stripe, alacantara, extinguisher, lexan if available, etc. I am readily influenced by advertising, no?

Anyway, I "read" the car as more of a track day car, and decided that as a "pretend" race car it should have a bit of color: TDF blue w/ red and black alcantara interior, extinguisher, red calipers, would have gotten the roll cage but for idiotic US laws, no radio, etc. I would NOT have designed a spider or non CS coupe this way.

There you go, advice worth every bit of what you have paid for it ....

PS - did anyone else notice, in the back of Auto Week, the statement by a Euro auto executive when asked whose market was the most difficult to build cars for - answer, the US, "because it has the silliest laws." I'm not getting the question and response exactly right, but it made me chuckle.

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    bwah ha ha ha ha ha!

$3K? $5K?

insanity.

doody.

15. zwoemba

zwoemba Formula 3

Nov 22, 2003
    You MUST take the stripe...It's part of the Challenge Stradale. It's costs a lot, I know, but I should take it if I could...

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    TOTALLY personal preference - just do what feels right for you.

Personally, I would go without the stripe, as it's a road car, etc. ec. I think it just looks smoother. Even when I see two identical classic Ferrari racers side by side, I always prefer the look of the one without the gigantic white circles on the side.... just personal preference in terms of looks.

17. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Stripes are for race cars....
    Use the stripe money to help your favorite charity.

18. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Thanks for all the opinions.

I may just investigate whether a 3M sticker type solution might work - I'm sure that's less than the 5K stripe, but I do love the look. Anyone know if the stickers are easy to remove again w/o daminging paintwork?

I was just watching Ferrari Victory by Design again - 250 SWB + 2 GTOs (including one of the 3 '64 cars) and all of them have a stripe.

I know its just as retro as the Ford GT, but I personally love it.

Order time is in the next couple of weeks, so I guess I better make up my mind!

19. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Well, I think you should get it. It's kinda a part of the car.

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    DAN360 a good detailer/pinstriper that works with new car dealers should be able to do that for you, or have a paint shop do it. "to stripe" or not is totally your choice....make yourself happy. i would have the stripe put on it..... but not for 5k.... i would have it done by one of the 2 methods i have suggested. my.02

21. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Dan,

if you like it then just get it. No point in spending $250k on the car and every time you look at it you feel there's something missing. That's a waste of a hell of a lot more cash than the 5k it will take to make you 100% happy

22. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I like the stripe. I was even considering painting my 360 Modena with a stripe on it.

However, do what makes u feel good when u look at the car....stripe or no stripe.

23. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Ok heres an idea if you cant decide :

GET BOTH!

Then you can sample both the striped and plain, see which one you like, and give the other one to me! :)

Or you could get it w/o the stripe, itd be a sleeper. Thats what id do.

24. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    When the Stradale was first shown before Geneva, I thought the stripe looked ridiculous. When I saw it in person, I said "hey, that looks pretty good!" The Rosso Scuderia car at the local dealership does not have one,and after seeing one w/stripe, it looks way too plain.

Gian Maria put on a decal stripe but wished he had ordered the factory one after seeing it.

Hey, get what YOU want. I am.

Besides, the stripe looks a hell of a lot better than a big SV across the side of it. :)

Paul

25. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    After a *lot* of deliberation, I'm getting the stripe. Don't know why, but this feels like admitting that I'm an alcoholic. "My name is Kevin, and I'm having a dirty great skunk stripe painted right down the middle of my beautiful Ferrari"

Isn't it strange- takes less than a minute to decide on seat coverings, roll cage etc, but that damn stripe splits it right down the middle. In Britain, we call this a 'marmite'. Don't know if you have this in the US, but Marmite is this meat tasting yeast extract you spread on toast; you either love it or you absolutely hate it.

The poll results pretty much reflect what people have ordered from my dealer; 4 cars delivered, two with the stripe, two without. Right up until the point I had to spec. the car, I'd decided not to put the stripe on. But when push came to shove...

Best of luck with whatever you decide Dan. It's agony, but hardly the most important decision you will ever take!