New Horn/Mercedes | FerrariChat

New Horn/Mercedes

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Seth, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
  2. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    It means it's wired the same way as the original Mercedes horn.

To get wires to the insde, you need to find the hole in the firewall where other wires go in. Tape some stiff wire (ie. coat hanger) and push it through firmly, rotating it to overcome snags. Either that, or you have to make a new hole and seal it back up once the wire has been put through. If you make a new hole, be sure to put a rubber grommet in place, or the wire will fray.

You can also use existing wiring that's unused. You will need a service manual to see if your car has it.

Mounting and water ingress are other considerations.

I would take it to a shop and pay them $50-$100 to install it if you are not too confident in your own abilities. But it is something you can install by yourself.

3. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    i would get the extra thing
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&langId=-1&productId=234446&mediaCode=ZX&appId=137832
    for another button, for the horns, unless thats what you were talking about,,

i guess i should get a shop, but it really cant be that hard can it??

i think this is how it would go

horn to battery to (in-line fuse?) to button
    i dont really know about the fuse and where the ground would come in either

or is it one of thoses odd loop things??

ive wired giant off-road lights to my bronco, and did the same thing, but im kinda lost on the ground...

im pretty sure there are several holes throught the fire wall that i could use, theres one already via the trans tunnel, so thats not much of a problem

thanks

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I think your confused about the relay setup, it can be a pain in the arse if you never done this. Mount the relay to fire wall, wire the horn wiring + to the battery directly & -to the core support. Keep in mind you must wire the relay correctly or you will drain your battery just by honking your horn. I have a manual on the proper wiring setup, just gong to have to find it.

I have a similar Hella system set up on my Integra.

Good luck

5. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    lol ok i am confused now....

however i would still like to try this ive got the next four days off and nothing to do,
    so any web sites on wiring i could look at,
    also you mentioned a manual could i just pick up something similar at autozone or some place....

i am now determined to do this...

thank you

6. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    When you mount the compressor it will be grounded most likely. On my air horns the gorund lug on the compressor is connected to the mounting bracket by a small wire. So when the bolt goes through the mounting bracket to the car it is then grounded. If you find a hole already drilled that you can bolt into make sure there is no paint on the parts where the bolt will touch.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I've hooked these up on three or four different cars.

Relay replaces your original horn relay. Locate the existing horn, probably in a fender or attached near the grill or radiator.

Chase the wires back to the relay. Put your relay where that is, unless it's a part of the fuse box, and then follow the wiring instructions that will come with the horn.

Can you wire a stereo? You can wire a horn. On some cars, you can use the existing relay to wire your horn up. I did that with a 911 without a problem, just pulled the hot wires from the existing horn and used them to power the compressor.

try to keep the run from the compressor to the air horns as short as possible. Although it's not always possible.

If you get stuck, I can probably post pix of the horn in my Tr6, it's all laid out pretty straight forward and is easily accessable.