All Wine Connoisseur-What's your favorite "RED" ranging b/w $20 to $30/bottle | FerrariChat

All Wine Connoisseur-What's your favorite "RED" ranging b/w $20 to $30/bottle

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Tomf-1, Apr 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Getting prepared for an "all red theme" wine tasting party this weekend.
    For all you wine-connoisseur with exquisite taste, I'd like to solicit your preference.....

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    #2 PeterS, Apr 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. G-Car-Man

G-Car-Man Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    South of Boston
    Full Name:
    Greg K
    Wild Horse puts out some good wine. What type of 'red'? Cab? Merlot? Pinot noir???

4. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

All Reds / All Appellations / Both New & Old World.....
    Menu: Beef Tenderloin En Croute and Grilled Tenderloin with Cognac

BTW, Wild Horse's Pinot...is one of my favorite too. Love its eucalyptus aroma, fruity and yet suprisingly full bodied.

5. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    In that price range, pick up a Provenance Cab. The 99 is the best, but the 00 is pretty good.

6. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Pinot Noir, followed by Merlot.

7. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    2002 D'Arenberg The Laughing Magpie Shiraz / Viognier
    D'Arenberg
    McLaren Vale, South Australia, Australia
    Proprietary Blend (a dry red table wine)

Review by Robert Parker
    Rating: 93 points
    Drink 2003-2015
    Estimated Cost: $35.00 (Usually available under $30)

The 2002 The Laughing Magpie Shiraz/Viognier (93% of the former and 7% of the latter) is the La Mouline of McLaren Vale. An exotic, heady, flamboyantly-styled red, it boasts an inky/purple color as well as a gorgeous nose of lychee nuts, acacia flowers, blackberries, and creme de cassis. Supple-textured and opulent, with pepper, licorice, and blackberry liqueur-like flavors, this beautiful wine is made in a modern, progressive style with terrific fruit intensity along with notions of sweet French oak in the background. It should drink well for 10-12 years.

Chester Osborn, the remarkable person behind this enormous array of both impeccably high quality and value-priced wines, deserves considerable accolades for what he is able to achieve at all price ranges. If you love Australian wines, d’Arenberg is a winery to seek out as these offerings all possess abundant soul as well as character. In short, the accolades that proprietor/winemaker Chester Osborn receives not only from The Wine Advocate, but virtually everybody in the wine world, are all well deserved.

Importer: Rob McDonald, Old Bridge Cellars, Napa, CA; tel. (707) 258-9552

8. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    For about $7-$10 you'll discover great value and quality from Santa Ema's (Chilean) varietals. Specifically, try their Merlot, which is well balanced and offers plenty of berry aromas. You can find it in mass quantities at Costco. If you can, go with a '98 or '99 vintage, but beware that they may be harder to find. The newer vintages aren't bad, but I prefer the those two vintages. Cheers!

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Costco has some good wine in that range......

DL

10. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    99 or 00 Antinori Santa Christina
    90% sangiovese/10% Merlot

11. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas

Andrew and DL--- It looks like the Mrs. will make a trip to Costco to check out their wine selection....(I didn't know they even sell wines). Thank ya'll

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    You're welcome, anytime. Also, check out Costco's selection of Chianti as well. Enjoy!

13. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    1996 Wolf Blass Grenache
    "Presidents Selection"

Good bang for the buck here! Highly recommended!!

like $20-25 bucks a bottle on www.wine.com

i ordered a case for myself this year

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Well, you basically can only get it directly from the winery, but my pick is easy.

Rafanelli Zin. All years are great, but I think the '99 is a tad above the rest. This stuff is legendary, for good reason. (a nice thing, I live less than 5 miles from this winery :)

Easially the best Zin I have ever had. Possibly the best *wine* I have ever had, though this is a difficult decision.

If you want something with a much more traditional 'classic good wine' flavor, go with Seghesio's OLD VINE Zin of 2000. Make sure it has a red top, as Seghesio makes 4 different Zins. The first (and only) Zin to make Wine Spectator's top 100 wines.

Both these wines will stand up well to beef, with the Rafanelli being the fruity wine of the bunch.

15. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, Ben
    I love red zin. Do you suppose they ship? Obviously it won't make it to our party in time but I'd love to try some. I wil check w/ the winery today or Monday. Thanks again.

16. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Hi Tom, they generally limit you to 2 bottles/visit.

If they won't ship, then I'll get a bottle for you and ship it myself. Give them a call:

A. Rafanelli Winery

4685 W. Dry Creek Road
    Healdsburg, ,*CA *95448
    (707)433-1385**

The Rafanelli family has made wine in the Dry Creek Valley for three generations, producing 10,000 cases and specializing in estate bottled Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon. Open from 10-4

Wine Type:
    Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel
    Facilities:
    Group Tours by Appointment, Wine Tasting by Appointment
    Visit the website at:http://arafanelliwinery.com

17. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Ben--- You are so kind. Thank you for such generous offering. I will call them Monday. BTW, I am envious of your proximity.... Man, I love wine country....