Aftermarket Wheels For 86 TR | FerrariChat

Aftermarket Wheels For 86 TR

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by APA#1, Nov 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Any suggestions on where/type of aftermarket wheels can be had for an 86 Tertarossa single nut? Also open to other alternatives besides buying an 88.5

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There are only a few wheel makers out there doing ones for single lug TRs. Speedline is one. Not sure but maybe HRE. I know that Koenig sells wheels that look good....but they must get them from somewhere...be nice to know where and eliminate the middle man. Either way it goes...they are very expensive. I've seen a used set of SAC 18" wheels (no longer in business) with tires sell for something like $4,500 on ebay...and I remind you these were USED! So be prepared. I had at one time planned on modifying an existing wheel to fit the spline drive, but the problem is the use of a trim ring or how to make the center bolt look "right" without using a trim ring. It proved to be nearly impossible unless you had access to a good machine shop and maybe some junk wheels to practice ideas on. I'm sure it could be done and once accomplished you get have a great set of aftermarket wheels for maybe $1,500 to $2,000. I even did a dimensional layout and cutaway picture of the wheels off my TR on CAD so I could do some 3D modelling, but I lost interest when nobody else seemed interested in helping me.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I use Kinesis wheels & am quite happy with them, perhaps they can help you with a single nut wheel. check out the wheels on my car in my profile to see Kinesis, they have more designs

4. johnbob

johnbob Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    Oklahoma
    I installed a set of HRE wheels on my 86 TR. They are 18" polished 8.5 wide front and 10" rear. I love the look, the single nut wheels look much cleaner than the five lug. I will try and post a picture for you next week.

5. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    I'm looking for some more modern sized wheels and tries for my 86 TR too. Can you post some pictures of what you found that works along with sizes and brands?

I like the look of the Speedline wheels that imitate the 288 GTO. I also like the Bridgestone S02 tires. I saw this setup on this board a few months ago from another poster but I think he spent about $6,000 to $7,000 for them.

6. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Love to see the pics. Thought about chroming the stock ones?